Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All electric, no gas - bigger utility bill?

• 19-01-2021 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

First time renting outside of family and friends soon, and in the place I have my eye on, the heating, hot water and cooker are all electric.

From what I’ve read online electric heating is a lot more expensive, can I expect to pay more than the energia average for duel fuel on their website of ~€120 per month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 letithappen

In my experience, yes. Lived in a two bed townhouse that was all electric and the bills were €150pm during the winter. I remember forgetting to pay once and getting a bill for €600. I was nearly sick. The place was really cold (despite it being a fairly new build) and we had a new baby so had to keep the heating on quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

really depends on the efficiency of the two systems and how well both properties hold in heat. Without really knowing that no one can give you an accurate answer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What type of electric heating? Pure resistive, storage heating, heatpump - and what type of heatpump (ground/air/water source two air/water)?

Cooking/water heating - not a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you have storage heaters, search Google for a manual. If set wrongly they can be costly and/or ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 upthedeise_96

L1011 wrote: »
    What type of electric heating? Pure resistive, storage heating, heatpump - and what type of heatpump (ground/air/water source two air/water)?

Cooking/water heating - not a huge difference.

What’s the difference between them? I can the agent this but would be good to know beforehand :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pure resistive is rare and terrible in that to heat the house in the evenings will use full rate electricity. This was common enough in the 70s and sometimes small apartments have modern versions

Storage heating heats a medium to release heat back slowly - at least in theory - allowing use of night rate electricity to provide power during the day. This is common in apartments. It's very easy to configure then wrong and find you've just turned them back in to simple resistive heating

Heatpumps of various types work like air conditioners or fridges but backwards. They are vastly more efficient than resistive heating and more flexible than storage. These are the norm on many new houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

If the apartment has storage heaters then you most likely have a dual rate meter. This means that the electricity costs half price overnight (midnight to 9am I think). So be sure to time the hot water immersion to come on during this period for an hour or two - assuming the cylinder is reasonably modern the water should stay hot for the rest of the day. Of course if you have an on-demand electric shower, this will not apply to you. Washing machine and dishwasher could also be used during this period if practical for you.

All that said, your heating will be the main user of electricity so best to figure out how to use the storage heaters correctly if that is what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

ercork wrote: »
    If the apartment has storage heaters then you most likely have a dual rate meter. This means that the electricity costs half price overnight (midnight to 9am I think). So be sure to time the hot water immersion to come on during this period for an hour or two - assuming the cylinder is reasonably modern the water should stay hot for the rest of the day. Of course if you have an on-demand electric shower, this will not apply to you. Washing machine and dishwasher could also be used during this period if practical for you.

All that said, your heating will be the main user of electricity so best to figure out how to use the storage heaters correctly if that is what you have.

Wasnt that way in my latest apartment
    When i moved in there the apt was 4 years old and had 2wo meters no dual meter
    In winter i paid almost 200 euro to heat it up
    Lucky not living there now with those lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mikek1

In an average 1000 sq ft house, 1990s construction, heating 6-8 hours a day, you can expect to hit €150 expenditure on heating at around day 25 of the months in the middle of the heating season. If the house is draughtproofed and chimneys are blocked (e.g. using chimney balloons) then this will reduce by up to 30%. In a rented property there's not much more that you can do.

The cost will be lower in apartments, especially on intermediate floors and a 1000 sq.ft. apartment should cost less than €150 per month to heat but not by much.

Advertisement