Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

If I trade across or trade up to a new home with an existing mortgage, what will be owed to the current mortgage provider upon sale? I know it depends on the provider but just wondering in general is it the balance of the home value only or the full mortgage amount to term including interest?

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Just the balance that’s in your account! If you’ve positive equity that can go towards a new home. That’s what we’re doing at the moment!! Trading up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Sorry for the stupid question, but is the balance in my account the value of the home mortgage or is it the value of the home mortgage plus the full term of interest?

Beverly Hills, California

It’s the value without interest! That’s all you’ll pay if you’re in positive equity. I bough my house for €115k selling it for €230k have €93k left on mortgage so will have a profit of €137,000 tax free as it’s my only residence and I don’t rent a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hi, have a question.

I'm currently looking and aware of a house that might be coming up for sale (right next to family home and parents so aware in advance), and I'm considering making an offer on it but I'm aware it's not in the best condition and would need some updating (it's been rented out for 15 years or so and house hasnt had anything really done to it since it was built in the 90s) so chances are I'll need to remodel most of it and get new kitchen, wardrobes etc.

What I'm thinking would be buying and just renting it out for 2 years or so in order to afford the remodelling, so just wondering how fine banks are with that?

I can likely afford the house (unless bidding goes insane) based on house purchases in the area recently but cant afford purchasing it and remodelling in one go, so I'd be either leaving it empty or renting out.

Would a bank look unfavourably on that or is that a bit normal?

Alternatively, I could do rent a room although probably need to work out exactly what constitutes a qualifying residence for that.

Post edited by titan18 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

We Just went sale agreed on a house yesterday and so contacted our broker straight away.

We will send whatever few bits they need on Monday to get the ball rolling but as with every single person on here we are mad eager now to get in the door so my question is with BOI how long does drawdown process normally take.

We have sold our house to someone and they want to be in here by end of august

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭theboringfox

The bank will not be slowest part. I turned my AIP into full approval with bank within couple weeks. It took much longer for vendors solicitor to get contracts across to be reviewed. The legals was the slow part.

The entire process is painfully,especially when your trying to sell and buy at the same time,we were outbid on a few properties and are just delighted to have gone sale agreed on one now that we just want the whole bloody thing to be over.

Why in gods name it takes so long and there's so much hassle moving from one house to another I just don't know

Similar situation as you are. All we’re waiting on is valuation report to be done with EBS. Everything else seems like a formality really. We’re in a triple chain so it’ll take a long time legal wise!

• Advertisement

Hi,

So looking at all the advice around, it's that banks generally look at previous 6 months for savings history etc. If you didn't have much savings in the last 6 months (I've had a few expensive holidays and bookings in that timeframe), is that ok if you still have a strong history pre that (I've 90k in savings from last 9 years of work so I assume that's pretty good), or do I need to live like a monk for 6 months and do nothing?

Hope not. The vendor does seem to be a tough cookie. 3 weeks for us to view the house after first contact, 2 weeks to get the engineer in. Valuation was ordered last Monday. Will be calling into EBS branch today to pay the €150 valuation fee, so will find out if it’s been done or not.

isnt it weird that they want cash only for the valuation? With things been done 100% by email and phone wouldn’t it be easier to just pay by card over the phone….

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭KLF

Ideally while applying for a mortgage you'd hold steady and not go off the rails when you have had a good history of savings. Going on holiday and to events isn't a no-no but by the sounds of "a few expensive holidays and events" in 6 months, it will most likely raise eyebrows and have queries put back to you. Now you may have a good reason, different life events, milestone birthdays, etc but you may want to go back to a more regular expenditure if you really want to go for a mortgage.

They'll do whatever suits them best is what we've come to realise during this entire buying and selling process.

I'll never move house again after this,I'd rather live in a tent then go through all this crap again

Ya, it's basically just had booked a trip to Korea in October and bought tickets to Olympics next year which were two large chunks of expenditure.

House I'd just like to buy is going up for sale earlier than I was expecting so hadn't been prepared

Post edited by titan18 on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Audioh8

Chances of approval for mortgage on F rated home? Currently with BOI underwriter since 20/07/2023. BOI Mortgage officer seems confident but beginning to have doubts myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kevgaa

I got approval on a G rated house. Bank will look at valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Is anyone familiar with a situation where the house for sale BER F but described as in good condition, looks like it has big issues : roof will need replacing, windows need replacing, there is raising damp which has been recently painted over to deflect, etc. These findings are not advertised in the description. Would a bank have issues with drawdown of the mortgage if the surveyor points them out, which they would. Would the bank allow a mortgage on this type of house? Or it really needs a cash buyer

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wahhoo999

Hey, anyone know how long BOI are with the underwriting stage at the minute ?

Been at underwriter stage since 20/07 now. All documents accepted and turned green yesterday so surely must be a positive sign!

• Advertisement

Are there any reasons a bank won't give full approval after giving aip?

We waiting on full approval now and I just have some crazy **** running around in my head waiting for something to go wrong.

This wait will do that to you

I’ve the same feelings to be honest but the mortgage advisor with EBS sees no issue especially after the deep dive they did just to get AIP. We’ve the valuation and survey done,

All we gave them for this was 1 month bank statements from each of us with our salaries shown going into those accounts, ID, marriage cert, gift letter(which they provided) 4 recent payslips for each of us, pick our rate and fill out the cashback form.

later on we’ll do home insurance and mortgage protection along with the direct debit mandate. And for us to pay off any existing debt and get the solicitor to sign off on that.

but yet I’m still in the horrors thinking they won’t issue the loan letter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

First time poster here 🙂

We are going with AIB for a self-build mortgage. We were approved in principle back in April on our first call with the mortgage advisor. To be honest it was quite premature because at that point we were really just shopping about and wanted an idea of how much we could borrow. We had a rough idea how much we needed but hadn’t yet priced contractors (those that are doing a self build will know its hard to get the timing of events right!).

Anyways we spent a couple of months getting our ducks in a row, pricing around and are now ready to go ahead with the next stage- application form for loan offer. All our other documentation (bank statements etc) were uploaded a few weeks ago save for this document as we wanted to get a valuation done before we completed it as our initial call with advisor was based on a lot of estimates.

How long have people waited to hear back from AIB re self build loan offer after completing all the documentation? Also, if the bank intends to raise any queries/concerns on your bank accounts do they usually do that as you go along with uploading the statements? We’ve been keeping our regular savings and not been blowing any money on holidays or that but a few things have cropped up over the past few months which have left the current account not as healthy looking as I’d like.. weddings, unexpected car repairs etc. I know you still need to live but can’t help but feel anxious!

It's awful isn't it I'm dreaming up scenarios and reasons for them not to give to us,it's the waiting that kills you.

Got full loan offer approval this morning. Submitted last Wednesday, was told 5 working days to get an answer and EBS were spot on! Relief isn’t the word!

I'm delighted for you,you must be relieved, we are with boi and we're told 20 working days before we will hear anything,we have another 15 working days of panick to go

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

Anyone know how long it takes for BOI to go from House Hunter Approval to Letter of Offer? It's been with the underwriters for a week now.

Extremely relived now it’s just a waiting game! Our vendor’s solicitor still hasn’t sent contracts to our solicitor which is annoying. The sale of our house can move on quicker then once we’ve signed contracts for the other house!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

I'm currently at the stage of sorting qualifications on title before signing contracts, and the issue raised is that the public lighting and management of the common areas is not under a management company and is not taken in by the council, so there is also no public liability insurance in the estate for common areas. It seems like area is still under the original developers control but they do not manage the area, so it is just local residents cutting grass and stuff.

Has anyone else dealt with issues with the estate not being managed and how long it may have taken for someone to start managing it so that public lighting can be in use? I guess it is probably an "It depends..." type answer, but just wondering other people's experiences. I'd rather go ahead with the property as it is well built house, and realistically our home insurance would cover all we need (or at least all I can think of that we'd need) as we would not be using the common area other than driving to/from the house.

• Advertisement

Valuation is back, sale price is in line with valuer and everything positive bar the interior is described as fair rather than good. Would anyone be aware if this could this potentially impact mortgage offer?

Advertisement