Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Bridger Drab Panel

SachaJ wrote: »
    Anyone know if we lose the free shipping option to Ireland (over £25) if we sign up to Prime? Read something from a few years ago that we did. Thinking of joining Prime to get early access to the Black Friday deals.

In short ...NO !
    Just change your delivery address as required.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭mike2084

So, I opted for the UK one and it turns out it is Geo Blocked but that can be worked around in the usual way. It plays the Amazon original content without a VPN but everything else won't.

I'm going to get as much out of the free 30 days and then see what's what.

It does give you an option when you're signing up to go for the full Prime service or just the streaming. It works out at £5.99 a month for just the streaming.

I'm just interested in The Grand Tour. As that is Amazon original content can I take it that it will work here without a VPN? Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

mike2084 wrote: »
    I'm just interested in The Grand Tour. As that is Amazon original content can I take it that it will work here without a VPN? Thanks

Based on what I could access without a VPN it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

mike2084 wrote: »

Amazon Video introduced a "Watch while abroad" feature recently. You can watch Amazon Originals through that regardless of country, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,182 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's launching globally.

Amazon Announces International Rollout On Eve Of ‘The Grand Tour’ Launch

It’s been suspected for months but now it’s official: Amazon Prime is going global.
    The service is beginning its international rollout officially with The Grand Tour in December, which means viewers in more than 200 countries will be able to access the new show on its download and streaming service.

The news comes as The Grand Tour is gearing up to launch in Amazon’s current territories and was announced by presenters Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond in a YouTube video on Wednesday, in which May said: “We have received a package from Amazon, which contains my glasses and a letter which says in December, we will be launching the show globally, which means you will be able to watch The Grand Tour in over 200 countries around the world.”

The Grand Tour’s first episode, which can be downloaded or streamed on Friday, November 18, will be available to Amazon Prime subscribers in the UK, U.S., Germany, Austria and Japan in addition to five other territories before the service’s global expansion next month. It comes during a period of intense marketing for the new motoring series, which has included three synchronized car crashes in London, Berlin and Los Angeles, with badly damaged cars abandoned in the middle of the street labelled with the show’s branding. Clarkson has also been in the news again this week after a story in The Sun said Clarkson claimed he was barred from a UK-bound flight by an airport employee because of a 2014 Top Gear controversy, during which the show’s members had to flee Argentina because one of their vehicles had a numberplate that appeared to refer to the Falklands War.

In case of any doubt of Amazon’s rollout, Clarkson also tweeted the news:

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/798904438853431296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is a huge step for Amazon, which has been quietly calculating its global outreach, and means the service will soon be available in more countries than rival Netflix, which currently operates in 190 countries around the world.

It became more apparent that Amazon was ultimately setting itself up for expansion with the company reshuffle announced last month, which saw Amazon Studios promote Head of Drama Development Morgan Wandell to a new post of Head of International Productions while Brad Beale, VP TV Content Acquisition for Prime Video, saw his role expand to include overseeing global selection of series for individual countries and licensing television content on a local and worldwide basis.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/amazon-studios-international-rollout-the-grand-tour-jeremy-clarkson-richard-hammond-roy-price-james-may-1201856175/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

It's launching globally.

Amazon Announces International Rollout On Eve Of ‘The Grand Tour’ Launch

It’s been suspected for months but now it’s official: Amazon Prime is going global.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/amazon-studios-international-rollout-the-grand-tour-jeremy-clarkson-richard-hammond-roy-price-james-may-1201856175/
    is it better than netflix though.does this have the music and books for free included and also how many devices can it watch at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

great news as long as we get the same library as the UK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Are they hoping this will do for them what House of Cards did for Netflix?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seems to be some confusion as to whether Amazon Video is actually launching globally or if it's just The Grand Tour, but no doubt all will be revealed in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I hope it's the full kit & caboodle, it would be great to finally have some legit competition to Netflix, we still live in a veritable digital media dark ages.

All videos work for me without a VPN today including those not made by Amazon which had previously been geoblocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

All videos work for me without a VPN today including those not made by Amazon which had previously been geoblocked.

How does the catalogue compare to Netflix?

Synode wrote: »
    How does the catalogue compare to Netflix?

I just had a quick browse and click on things to see if they worked and they did.

It doesn't seem as good as Netflix for me anyway but will be a good companion service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

This is a huge step for Amazon, which has been quietly calculating its global outreach, and means the service could soon be available in more countries than rival Netflix, which currently operates in 190 countries around the world.

I'd imagine this is incorrect, Netflix and Amazon may simply use different counting schemes, "number of countries in the world" is fairly political. Besides, Netflix is everywhere they legally can be.

Anyway, this is good news. I have no interest in Top Gear but hopefully this means Amazon Video in general will be available.

I think Netflix is better for TV anyway.

Amazon has some newer films, like Room, Spotlight etc. But there's a lot of dross on there too. I'd say you'd get a few months out of it before you'd start to struggle for something to watch.

Amazon doesn't seem to have any real structure to it's additions either. I check the new arrivals every few days and sometimes there's nothing new for days on end.

Hmm... it doesn't seem to be working for me. I switched off the VPN to try and I'm getting a Geoblocked message.

I wonder if it's because I only have the monthly membership? I didn't see the point paying for all the other stuff when I couldn't avail of it anyway. Maybe you have to pay full membership now?

EDIT: According to THIS you need the annual membership. It also says it's not launching until December?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what time is the grand tour going out at?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what time is the grand tour going out at?

It's out I'm watching it now.

Totally geoblocked today.

Amazon must be trying to figure out and get their region blocking right at the moment for when they finally launch also finding out which rights they have for which Country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Totally geoblocked today.

Amazon must be trying to figure out and get their region blocking right at the moment for when they finally launch also finding out which rights they have for which Country.

have it ready to go there now, i ll watch it later. whats the verdict people?

Amazon Originals working again for me without the VPN. Still geoblocked on everything else though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was visiting a friend in the UK at the weekend, I saw his Fire TV box set up. Any word on whether they will ship it here directly in the future? Am not against Parcel Motel, btw. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So is it just Amazon originals that's available now? Don't think it's worth it to me for that.

So is it just Amazon originals that's available now? Don't think it's worth it to me for that.

It's supposed to be launching properly in December, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Amazon Originals working again for me without the VPN. Still geoblocked on everything else though.

Does that include "The Man in the High Castle"? I watched the FREE episode last night but when I tried to sign up for a months trial it seems that streaming isn't allowed to Ireland? Judging from the first episode it's going to be epic. I saw a boxed set of the 1st edition for sale somewhere, but I'm not sure if it has been pirated given that Amazon don't have a DVD version for sale. :confused:

30/11 update - working for me now - watched 3 more episodes of "The Man in the High Castle" - Yippee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any update on what's available now? It's very hard to find out what's actually out there for Irish customers.

Any update on what's available now? It's very hard to find out what's actually out there for Irish customers.

I can't watch anything on it now without a VPN. I only signed up for the monthly payment membership which only gives you access to the streaming so I don't know if that's why? Someone with full membership might be able to tell you differently.

The specific date for the worldwide December roll out is still TBC...would be good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yep, I'm finding it pretty well useless now, but I did get through of all of Season.1. of The Man in the High Castle. I'm going to ring Amazon in the morning and will post if there's any news.

Advertisement