Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I've got a crazy pink background. And the layout is completely different. I hate change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

I've got a crazy pink background. And the layout is completely different. I hate change!

Do you have beta turned on. Bottom of page you can turn it off of it is. Enjoy the pink if it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Do you have beta turned on. Bottom of page you can turn it off of it is. Enjoy the pink if it isn't.

Nice one. Never turned it on though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Nice one. Never turned it on though!!

I hate the beta look, won't ever use it by choice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone watching Horace and Pete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

someone just shouted **** her in the pussy on the 6-1 news, poor dobson nearly had a heart attck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I keep seeing the phrase "shark-jumping" been thrown around everywhere, usually in instances where it doesn't even remotely apply. I find myself having to bite my tongue (or to be more specific clench my fists so that I'm unable to type a response)...

You+Keep+Using+That+Word.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Surely there is some way for the BBC to rent out its older shows on a streaming service - say, a few quid and you get the episodes for 60 days. Or would that sort of revenue generation go against ethos of the Beeb? Or indeed RTE as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what was that commercial on a few years back of an oriental businessman in a phone booth who buys something for his wife, and celebrates by doing a heel click whilst walking across the road??

i think it was for some credit card company???

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watched The Honourable Woman. Good show - quite a body count by the end. Not sure I always bought some of the visual choices that were made, such as someone pointing a finger being emphasised. The brother was annoying. A rather unflinching look at that part of the world, unusual for fictional TV. Accent generally seemed consistent, but sometimes a bit too, I dunno what the word is, depending on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

Mr E wrote: »
    RIP Doris Roberts. A very funny lady.

I remember her as the receptionist in Remmington Steele.

Even if I not watching a particular series I do like to catch episodes if they were filmed in Ireland. In the last season of Remmington Steele they had two episodes set in Ireland and filmed in Ireland. A few years ago one of the CBS UK channels repeated that series.

Another series that filmed an episode in Ireland was Lovejoy. It was filmed in Meath and Wicklow apparently.
    I mention that episode "Irish Stew" because it is currently on the Drama channel. It will be repeated at 5pm this evening ang again at 3am late tonight.
    Lovejoy is on Drama at 5pm on Wednesday 20th April.

Irish Stew. Series 4, episode 10.

More quirky drama with the bad boy of antiques. Lovejoy and Lady Jane are in Ireland, hunting for a painting by Yeats.

Starring: Ian McShane, Phyllis Logan, T.P. McKenna, John Kavanagh, Stella McCusker, Jim Norton and The Merry Ploughboys.

Amazon's launched a Prime video service in the US. Maybe it'll come here...eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really need to stop reading program descriptions on Sky. A couple of recent offenders that I watched (I spoiler the descriptions even though one is an old show)

Quantico on alibi a couple weeks ago
    "Alex is given Shoot to Kill status"
    This was the very last line of the episode

Rome on TCM last Sunday(Yeah I'm a bit behind)
    "Vorenus saves Pullo from public execution"
    Again this happened within the last 10 minutes of the episode and Pullo was still a free man when it began

There have been other examples, mainly with things like Hawaii Five 0 where the description says something that isn't revealed until at least the halfway point

Does anyone else ever feel like they get pounced on for voicing an opinion on boards these days, to the point that it's not even worth posting in some threads or forums anymore? It's something I've noticed a lot recently (particularly in some of the TV, Film forums etc - the ones I use most) compared to boards several years ago when everyone was let have their say without being attacked, and if anyone is enthusiastic about anything nowadays they just seem to get lambasted. Maybe I'm just getting old and tired, and it's always been this way, I just never noticed, but it's getting to a point where I'm considering hanging up the username and drifting away from internet discussions...

I'm not talking about people simply having differing opinions by the way, that's absolutely fine, I'm talking about those posters who just rip everyone else's opinions to shreds just for the hell of it apparently.

That's because you're wrong! :p

But seriously, yeah there are times when I do write out a post then just decide not to bother hitting the button because I can't be bothered dealing with the replies I would expect back.

Watching an episode of arrow on sky and noticed it's edited. Why do these stations show series of they aren't going to show it uncut? Especially since aside stuff that is cut can be seen on things like soaps.
    Then we have things like Film4 showing Carry on Dick uncut on a Saturday afternoon.
    Censorship confuses me.

RTÉ used to show (probably about 15 years ago at this stage) those Carry On films at lunchtime every Saturday/Sunday, uncut, and I never understood how they got away with it. Just sitting there getting stuck into a Tayto Sandwich and then all of a sudden Peggy Mitchell's top pops off and it's all boobs akimbo... It'd turn ya right off your lunch, so it would...

To be honest, dunno why I kept watching every week - piss all else on a Saturday afternoon I suppose, in the days before we all had Sky or UPC boxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Carry Ons are all innuendo though, completely innocent stuff that would go over the heads of most kids.

Also any chance to post this gem

• Advertisement

Innuendo I get but Barbara Windsor's top popping open while running the bell or her completely see through top later on. It's more that I'm wondering why they get a pass yet other stuff gets cut, like when I was watching Adventures in Babysitting recently and it was edited. Titanic is another strange one when it keeps Rose's nudity but cuts the one F word. I know we've all seen kate naked but surely swearing is even more common in every day society.
    It does seem British or Irish stuff gets more leniency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Innuendo I get but Barbara Windsor's top popping open while running the bell or her completely see through top later on. It's more that I'm wondering why they get a pass yet other stuff gets cut, like when I was watching Adventures in Babysitting recently and it was edited. Titanic is another strange one when it keeps Rose's nudity but cuts the one F word. I know we've all seen kate naked but surely swearing is even more common in every day society.
    It does seem British or Irish stuff gets more leniency.

I remember her top popping open but you wouldn't actually see the girls. Can't remember the see-through top. I haven't seen the other two examples, is it maybe to do with the tone rather than the content?

Late to the party, just starting Mr. Robot. Enjoyed the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watching an episode of arrow on sky and noticed it's edited. Why do these stations show series of they aren't going to show it uncut? Especially since aside stuff that is cut can be seen on things like soaps.
    Then we have things like Film4 showing Carry on Dick uncut on a Saturday afternoon.
    Censorship confuses me.

TV3 don't bother with all that- their new show "Irelands Fittest Mum", shown on a Monday night at 830 had a few f-bombs in last week, ok close enough to the watershed you might think.... I recorded the rerun at 8am Sat morning and they were there also

When we raised prices for new Netflix members last year, we kept your price the same for one year. Your special pricing is now ending and the new price will be €9.99 per month.

Knew this was coming, but still, hmph!

Caught this article the other day.

When Lead Characters Leave Shows, It Might Be More Actor Ego Than Writers' Choice

Variety critic Mo Ryan responded to him a couple of times. Bad faith assumptions are not cool, methinks, but I can see why the recipient of bad headlines might get frustrated at certain coverage.

https://twitter.com/HIGHzurrer/status/729711542590001154?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://twitter.com/HIGHzurrer/status/729726250311290880

https://twitter.com/moryan/status/729727188275109888

The guy who was the head of programming at HBO is stepping down. Maybe that'll give their content a much needed kick up the rear.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/michael-lombardo-depart-as-hbo-896177

I wonder how much research is involved in that job.

I've just seen that there was a Spanish language remake of breaking bad called Metastasis which ran for 62 episodes and whose main characters were called Walter Black and Jose Miguel Rosas. I almost want to watch it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Been watching S2 of Fargo since Sunday, up to Ep7 now, holy crap, it's better than S1.

Advertisement