Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

@ keyword to notify users they are being referenced in a thread

• 10-01-2021 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭

Seen this on other forums whereby if you are discussing a topic and know that user1 has knowledge or would like them to provide input you can @user1 to make them aware they have been mentioned in a thread.
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Seeing as Boards has been running on the equivalent of yoghurt cartons and waxed string for a number of years now, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that this is not going to be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can't stay stuck in the past forever with an aging platform.
    They will have to migrate at some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭This is it

Challenge accepted.

Boards can't even implement a proper mobile site good luck trying to implementing something as complicated as you suggested.

Would prefer if they fixed it so that you could see more than one page of your own most recent posts on mobile before looking at this tbh

• Advertisement

Seen it on a farming forum in UK.
    Surprised that these guys can't match the performance of a bunch of English farmers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's already something similar. https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?quoted=[INSERT USER NAME HERE]&sort=newest,

e.g.:

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?quoted=funkey_monkey&sort=newest

It's not quite what you were looking for, but it's something.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Being able to tag a user in a post is something that has been requested a few times over the years. It's not something we can implement right now but we will discuss adding it in the future after we've migrated to two yoghurt cartons :P
    Just kidding but yes, it's a feature we'd like to add, just not in the position to do it right at this moment. We're working on stabilising the site before we can add new features. Thanks for the suggestion funkey_monkey.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I asked for this 10.5 years ago: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67709613

:D

Back then of course the site was running on those little paper cones from the water cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Please no. I quite enjoy the 'legacy internet' feeling I get here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd find it annoying and off putting. I don't like how the reddit app tries to suggest threads to me all the time (the app is the only worthwhile means to browse it on the phone ). Most of the topics I'd be interested in I just read through instead of posting in. Oddly enough, I consider them more to be like conversations where you can take your time to engage when you wish to.

We must also remember, there used to be a way of tagging threads, that would help draw people's attention to topics. Sort of like the "#" thing in twitter. It got discontinued due to misuse. So one would need to consider more than technically how to implement it, but the behaviour around it's use too along with how the target gets notified. Or even if one wishes to be notified in the first place.

At least this works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's temperamental though, it can take a few tries for the name you click on to appear. Sometimes the system decides to add another name.

Advertisement