Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Touch site font size

• 25-01-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    There doesn't seem to be an option of increasing the font size of threads/posts on the touch site. I have my chrome set to 150% text size and it's still the same.

Beneficial for my old tired eyes!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Same here. When the touch site used to work with Boat Browser I could increase it but it won't magnify on any of the others.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll put that forward to the team as something we need to update. Unfortunately I can't give an exact time as to when it will be done.

Antodeco, another suggestion is to try and change the font size in your phone's settings (rather than in the browser). I have a Samsung and what worked for me was using the Samsung browser, the font increases there either when fixed via the browser settings or the OS settings. It might be worth trying another browser on your phone rather than straining your eyes :)

I've added the font issue as something to be looked at in Chrome anyway.

Antodeco, another suggestion is to try and change the font size in your phone's settings (rather than in the browser). I have a Samsung and what worked for me was using the Samsung browser, the font increases there either when fixed via the browser settings or the OS settings. It might be worth trying another browser on your phone rather than straining your eyes :)

I've added the font issue as something to be looked at in Chrome anyway.

I've tried that but it shrinks again when I go to Boards. Tried Chrome, Ecosia, Brave etc. The only browser it used to stay large in was Boat but Boards won't work on that anymore since the Cloudfare issues last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread but I have text at big but on boards and or safari it shrinks , past my eyesight .:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Have you tried m.boards.ie?

Sorry to hear that cj maxx. I made a suggestion above to try some other browsers to see if they will show the text enlarged. I normally use Chrome myself but enlarging the font size there doesn't seem to work on all sites (including Boards). I'm going to try to build a list of compatible browsers with accessibility features that work on Boards but that will take me a little while.

I still haven't found any Niamh.
    Boat was the only one that worked for me.
    It's very annoying especially as my eyesight has got worse than it was eleven months ago.
    Edit: it's actually two years. Where does the time go?

I found that the native Samsung browser works so far but that is all. I haven't looked into any others just yet.

I'm going to try to build a list of compatible browsers with accessibility features that work on Boards but that will take me a little while.

I had some time last week and compiled this list of browsers that will enlarge the text on the touch site if you change the browser settings to a larger size font. Since we are still working from home, I unfortunately only have access to my own phone (Android) and not a test iOS device but I am assuming that these independent browsers behave similarly on both OS.

Increased text size in the browser settings works on touch.boards.ie with these browsers:
    • Firefox
    • Maxthon
    • Opera
    • Samsung internet
    • UC browser
    • Kiwi

If anyone has any others they use that could be added to the list, please post them in the thread. I hope that is useful to some of you :)

Increased text size in browser settings does not work on Chrome, Edge, Opera Mini, Puffin, Yandex, Avast, Vivaldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Pity . For me it’s either chrome or safari :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I use Brave and there's the option to increase text size in settings as well as override the website's zoom preventer.

Just an addition to this thread, pinch to zoom has been enabled on the touch site so you can zoom in with your fingers now to enlarge the text as you read. It's not the same as the larger font you asked about but can help if having trouble reading a particular post or seeing a specific image on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Just an addition to this thread, pinch to zoom has been enabled ...

Yay! Thanks, Niamh :) (Feature request from 18 months ago -> https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057973116/1/#post109942328)

Thanks I've updated that in case anyone searches in Site Development for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yuzu browser also works.

Advertisement