Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Grand Tour [Amazon]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Out today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Alright, basically. For a non-car episode.

They didn't really do anything. Took quite a wallop with the sea at the end, shipping lanes are tricky enough. Clarkson's history segments were worth hearing and it's always remarkable how the locals can sort things out. Loved the visual of the hard stop of the PBR - expensive machine, mind. Mekong was impressive too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

I enjoyed. Nothing really we haven't seen before on one of these specials, but it's an easy watch. What is the story with the Grand Tour in general. Are there going to be more of these specials??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I enjoyed this one, but mainly because I did this same boat trip in the reverse direction starting from Ho Chi Minh, minus the sea part. If you ever have the chance it is a trip worth doing, great fun, people and amazing food along the way. As an episode overall, it was one of their weaker ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I just got Prime recently and I watched Seamen tonight which was the first episode of The Grand Tour I've seen, and it was okay. Felt like a weak episode of Top Gear in it's prime, excuse the pun :pac:

What have been the standout episodes and adventures from the first 3 seasons that I should watch as someone who loved the specials back in the day?

Cheers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I enjoyed. Nothing really we haven't seen before on one of these specials, but it's an easy watch. What is the story with the Grand Tour in general. Are there going to be more of these specials??

Yeah at the end of the last season, they said they are doing away with the Tent etc. and just doing these specials going forward.

I enjoyed it but it lacked the same flair as some of the other specials. Expected more pranks to be honest, but repainting Hammonds boat was funny.

The PBR was a savage boat but May just picked the wrong boat for the purposes of the show. I'd have liked it better had he gone for something faster or more modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Found it predictable and quite boring. Feel they need to do something totally different to make the concept interesting again. The overly scripted banter is weak.

Clarkson is best when presenting documentary pieces. Would like to see him do a few more of these before he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Enjoyable watch, not outstanding - my opinion - biased fan of JC and the lads, would watch them giving a critique of wallpaper.

Herself, not a fan like me, enjoyed it and said it was the stand out episode of TGT to date

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I just got Prime recently and I watched Seamen tonight which was the first episode of The Grand Tour I've seen, and it was okay. Felt like a weak episode of Top Gear in it's prime, excuse the pun :pac:

What have been the standout episodes and adventures from the first 3 seasons that I should watch as someone who loved the specials back in the day?

Cheers:)

Season 3 Episodes 2 & 3 - Colombia Special

Season 1 Episodes 7 & 8 - Namibia Special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Don't forget the Mongolia Special as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Don't forget the Mongolia Special as well!

The best of the three. Unless you are particularly fond of stupidly contrived situations, forced and overly scripted "banter", and pointlessly offensive and homophobic humour I would give the Colombia one a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

This was the point I stopped watching the Grand Tour. It felt like I was watching one of the previous Top Gear specials with the cars and backgrounds replaced by CGI. Just so predictable with absolutely nothing fresh or new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Season 2 episode 6 - Jaaags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

Anjobe wrote: »
    The best of the three. Unless you are particularly fond of stupidly contrived situations, forced and overly scripted "banter", and pointlessly offensive and homophobic humour I would give the Colombia one a miss.

Well this has put me off that one. I only started watching it over xmas as I was sick for most of it. The new boat special was good. As was the Mongolia and Namibia specials.

I watched half of the one where they're racing from New York to Niagara Falls but turned it off as it was way too scripted and dumb.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Also on Amazon:

James May: Our man in Japan

Bene a while that i had pain everywhere from laughing but here is was.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ContagiousLaughter/comments/enhm41/tourist_guide_robot_keeps_making_james_may_laugh/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

haha, yeah that Bim thing was pretty good. Can't wait to see if he get's it in the Grand Tour now also. :P

Madagascar special - a pre-Christmas treat on Dec 18th. Looks up to the usual mess acting and so forth.

It's up now, a day early.

It's up now, a day early.

Nice.

And prime video has been added to Sky. Perfect timing.

• Advertisement

So watched this last night and was meh.

I know its scripted but its usually mixed in with banter and witty comments, but this seemed to be completely script.
    The whole may trying to solve the puzzle thing was silly and a waste of time, with hammond giving the next destination off the cuff

Mays caterham was funny with the tyres and was interesting. Jezza bently was predictable but anyone could have seen those tracks on hammonds car failing quickly. Theyre meant for Snow/Soft Sand.

Overall, disappointed and doubt it would get a rewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm a massive fan of old top gear, and I like the grand tour..

But this season is complete dog sh it .

I've just finished watching it on prime ..

A waste of an evening.

This coming from a fan

I appreciate that camera work, the hours upon hours of post preduction.. but it was poor.

The first few minutes with the new bridge were impressive. After that it went downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

A let down for me as well, it’s watchable but horribly over scripted. I know it was always scripted but they seem to have ramped it up for this . Can’t fault the production it’s very well made and put together.
    My 10 year old enjoyed it which says a lot .

Have to agree.

Bad episode. The code breaking stuff was stupid. The whole thing felt about 45 mins too long.

I hate to say it as a long term fan, but the old dog needs to be taken around the back and put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

The first ten minutes or so in Reunion were pretty good before they introduced the pointless pirate code and before they went to Madagascar, but after that the code breaking scenes were utterly pointless and endlessly driving down the same dirt track with Hammond's track occasionally coming off and not much else happening got old fast.

There was still good chemistry and a few genuine laugh out loud moments, which is more than current Top Gear has going for it, so I wouldn't write them off just yet. Hopefully the next one they do is an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just watched the final "audience" edition of the grand tour

was Jezza genuine in his tearful emotion at the end..or was an act just for camera? bizzare esp from him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

fryup wrote: »
    just watched the final "audience" edition of the grand tour

was Jezza genuine in his tearful emotion at the end..or was an act just for camera? bizzare esp from him

it seemed genuine to me, came a bit out of left field.

I think they realised that the "audience" editions weren't really working under the constraints that they were under

Hopefully this will be better than the last one. Arrives July 30th.

Yeah last one "Massive Hunt" was a major let down. The cars werent bad, but the whole fake treasure hunt was terrible. Seamen was much better so hopefully this will be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Clarkson's Farm. A really good watch. Flew through it.

The same goes for James May's Japan trip. He's well suited to that type of show. Amazon should give him another one somewhere else.

Advertisement