Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Abyss Gazes Also

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 25th May|40 min Fastlane|kick session
    Tue|20min Fastlane; 40min turbo|10*100 progressive; 5*(1min max, 2min EZ)
    Wed|40min Fastlane; 60min hill reps| 20*100 progressive; 10*40s hill reps
    Thurs|30min Fastlane|easy session just flushing out the hill reps
    Fri|30min OW; 20min OW; 9k run| a glorious day on the magic island of Valentia
    Sat|30min OW| too fleeting a visit, had to leave after this
    Sun|20min Fastlane; 1:23 turbo|4*(4*(1min high cadence, 1min low) 4min EZ))

This was a much improved week- finally started sleeping again and most importantly got to travel to Kerry for a couple of days and drink some much needed brine. Magical, and it felt like this was the first time I've been alive in months :D

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 2nd June|40 min Fastlane; 60min easy run|kick session
    Tue|20min Fastlane; 40min turbo|10*100 progressive; 5*(1min max, 2min EZ)
    Wed|20min Fastlane; 70min easy run| 10*100 hard
    Thurs|20min Fastlane; 90 min turbo|10*100pb; v hard effort on turbo
    Fri|25min OW| back at the Cove
    Sat|100min easy hilly run; 20min easy swim|
    Sun|30min OW; 1:50 easy turbo|decent swim with Junior

Another good week- its amazing what a few good OW swims can do to your mood. I only wish I'd ignored lockdown travel limits earlier and been sea swimming this past few weeks, but I'm not stressed either way, just saying that to emphasise how much Vitamin Sea means to a swimmer. Lots and lots of that planned over the next few months, and for the first time in ages it looks like common sense might win out and smaller races may well go ahead :D:D:D

Bless me father its been two months since my last update...

...after which I lost focus and started training sporadically as the mood took. So lots of sea swims (including the 7.5K Battle of Carlingford which was amazing), a few runs, and fewer still bikes. Thats grand, I'm happy enough given the season that's in it, and time has been more productively spent building an art studio that will be complete soon. I always knew art was an old mans game!

I'm heading down to Hardman on Saturday, with the intention of enjoying the swim and ROK, pace will be leisurely and strictly a box ticking exercise. In that regard I'm unsure if I'll do the run at all (and if its started it probably won't be finished). Nothing wrong with an enjoyable day out every once in a while.

So I did a short Fastlane session this morning, followed by a serious three hour upper body workout- trying to get Continental gp5000 tubeless tyres onto the carbon wheels. Managed it eventually, heated the tyres, soapy water, very sore thumbs and a broken tyre lever. Hope I don't puncture on Saturday because if I do the bike is getting thrown into the sea and I'm hitching back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

#Extremesandbagging :)

Is it purely a run fitness thing? Sure you can walk it with me!!

griffin100 wrote: »
    #Extremesandbagging :)

Is it purely a run fitness thing? Sure you can walk it with me!!

Its more that I don't want to get any injury... a bigger goal is the Valentia Sprint in a months time, I'd prefer to do that than to do damage during a 15hr IM. I'm just going down for the craic. Maybe a Varadkar style picnic with cans and cheer you as you run by :D

• Advertisement

Maybe a Varadkar style picnic with cans and cheer you as you run by :D

Wasn't too far off with this prediction! Fair play to you for slogging it out till the end.

Hardman swim 1:16
    Drove down and racked the bike the night before, stayed in a campsite and had a decent nights sleep, zero pressure and sweet dreams. Suited up early and into the warm water while just before sunrise. Swimming the first lap while using the faint sunlight over the horizon; that's a visual that will be remembered through the years. Onto the second lap, sighting well, started to be passed by a few around this stage as lack of training became evident. No matter, today was just for fun and enjoyment, and there was nowhere better than to see the dawn break swimming in Lake Killarney. I noticed a good few going very wide on the second lap, hard to understand when visibility was perfect. The new suit performed well except for a pinch point under the right armpit; just mentioning that in case it happens again.

Hardman bike 6:44
    Onto the bike to venture into the unknown... my longest ever spin was about 120k (5 years ago), my recent longest was 3hrs watching a movie on the turbo, and I doubt I've totalled 100k outdoors in the past half year... added to that it was a new bike, new wheels, no clue about nutrition, badly fitting flappy clothing... you get the picture :)
    Started well going out of Killarney, the bike performs very well on the flat. I took a lad who got me back on a short climb, took him again on the flat, he overtook next climb... there was a lot of that during the day. Zico went past on a blur, think he has the same bike so we can safely say its all about the engine ;) Caught up with Griffin and was about to take him but knew a hill was coming up- glad I didn't as he put distance into me once the climb started and I never saw him again.
    The views around Molls Gap were amazing, it really is a spectacular route. Kenmare-Sneem-Cahirdaniel all went by handy enough, although I was easily passed by many come any incline. The climb before Waterville wasn't too bad I thought, long and steady rather than steep.
    Had a 3-couse Sunday roast at the special needs point, then back on for part two. The road surface and wind to Cahirsiveen was probably the hardest part of the course, although its familiar ground for me and that probably helped things along. Cahirsiveen to Killorglan I felt the lack of bike fitness, although I was comfortable in an aero position for most of it.
    I was glad to get to Killorglan with the end in sight. I stayed on the bars for this slight uphill, and started to pick off a few. The bike performs fantastic on flatter roads, no doubt a better cyclist would get more out of it on the hills, but for myself at the moment its a dream on the flatter sections. Into transition, happy to have ticked the ROK box, and happy to call it a day. I had enough energy to start running, and I reckon I could have slogged out a 5-6hr marathon, but have no regrets about pulling out. I went down to enjoy the swim and bike, managed to do that, and also to get a buzz for exercise again.
    The Hardman events are such good fun, well run and very laid back, I think I'll be back next year for the full with a proper training block under my belt. For the moment though I'm looking forward to Valentia Sprint in a months time.

Hardman bike 6:44
    Started well going out of Killarney, the bike performs very well on the flat. I took a lad who got me back on a short climb, took him again on the flat, he overtook next climb... there was a lot of that during the day. Zico went past on a blur, think he has the same bike so we can safely say its all about the engine ;) Caught up with Griffin and was about to take him but knew a hill was coming up- glad I didn't as he put distance into me once the climb started and I never saw him again.

Ah that explains it. I was passed at speed by someone I though was you early on but it must have been Zico. I was surprised 'you' didn't say hello when passing (that's a also a thinly disguised I had a faster swim than Kurt and Zico reference :p). You couldn't have been that far behind me, you arrived in T2 only a couple of minutes back.

griffin100 wrote: »
    (that's a also a thinly disguised I had a faster swim than Kurt and Zico reference :p).

The very reason I mentioned Zico :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Well done on the races, guys, but I wouldn't be boasting about having a faster swim than me. I seem to have taken twenty steps backwards over lockdown.

Incidentally, I don't know how you could say the water was warm, Kurt. From the end of the swim until I reached Kenmare, it's by far and away the coldest I've ever been in a race. If it was raining, I think I would have given up there and then. I was envious of anyone I passed wearing "badly fitting flappy clothing". It seemed like a great choice, and if I had a bank card, I nearly would have stopped at the top of Moll's Gap for a woolly jumper. Not much was registering, and I had to check Strava to see when I passed you. You probably didn't even get a grunt of recognition. Sorry about that.

• Advertisement

Only busting chops re the swim- next step is to race people on transition times (and then drop out!)

Horses for courses regarding warm/cold, and I ate several courses more than you over the lockdown... plus my sea swimming has all been skins lately. I'd trade it all for a podium (although obviously I wouldn't or I would have by now...). Well done on a brilliant result, 2nd to BMC is something to be proud of. How did you find the PX?

zico10 wrote: »
    Well done on the races, guys, but I wouldn't be boasting about having a faster swim than me. I seem to have taken twenty steps backwards over lockdown.

Incidentally, I don't know how you could say the water was warm, Kurt. From the end of the swim until I reached Kenmare, it's by far and away the coldest I've ever been in a race. If it was raining, I think I would have given up there and then. I was envious of anyone I passed wearing "badly fitting flappy clothing". It seemed like a great choice, and if I had a bank card, I nearly would have stopped at the top of Moll's Gap for a woolly jumper. Not much was registering, and I had to check Strava to see when I passed you. You probably didn't even get a grunt of recognition. Sorry about that.

Ah here don't be bursting my bubble :)

I found the water warm as well, but then I suspect that my insulation is somewhat thicker than yours, and like Kurt I swim mostly skins these days. My feet were cold though for the first 20km or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Sounds like an epic race, saw some of the photos. Looks epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Well done on a brilliant result, 2nd to BMC is something to be proud of. How did you find the PX?

Thanks, but 2nd to McCrystal is hardly relevant. He was so far ahead of everyone else, it wasn’t even the same race. Also with Stephen Donnelly and then PK dropping out, 2nd place became a lot more achievable. But apart from them, it was a strong field, and it was satisfying to finish ahead of the others.

As for the PX, the disc brakes will take a little longer to get used to, but it’s a fantastic bike. I’d only taken it out for two 1 hour spins before Saturday, so it wasn’t the most comfortable 5 hours I’ve ever spent in the saddle.

tunney wrote: »
    Sounds like an epic race, saw some of the photos. Looks epic.

The course is second to none, stunning views on a clear day like Saturday. Hope to be back next year to complete the full thing.

Only a few short swims done this week- no real matter, busy elsewhere and there's not a lot to focus on beyond the next few days.

Speaking of, a very welcome 10k swim box to be ticked next Saturday, a friend of mine is organising and has generously invited me along, will throw up the link with zero pressure. https://www.facebook.com/AtaxiaFoundationIreland/

Mon 2,800 Masters

20x50 (odds free/evens 25IMO25free) on 50
    12x50 (25kick25drill) on 1min
    12x100 free on 1:40

First time back in a pool in ages, we only have two lanes so I was lumped in with the sharks. Weird having a "home point" in the lane, and no overtaking, but everything seemed to work well for these shorter sets. It was a struggle, my fly has gone to pot, and although I managed to hit 1:30 for a few of the 100's, foot cramps and general fatigue reminded that this isn't leisurely sea swimming any more.

Best of luck tomorrow P. Conditions look reasonable so hope you enjoy it.

Sat 10.5k swim 2:56

Conditions were perfect, sun was shining, beautiful flat sea, current behind us... it was a delight to be swimming out there. I was going well until the last quarter when the arms started getting tired. Just kept ticking off each 500m and waited for the others at 9k (they were skins, I chickened out and wore a suit). Great experience to tick that 10k box (and a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the one time I bounced 10k in a pool lane!)

Well done, a nice box to tick. Looked out the window this morning at the lovely day and felt very jealous of your day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

Sat 10.5k swim 2:56

Conditions were perfect, sun was shining, beautiful flat sea, current behind us... it was a delight to be swimming out there. I was going well until the last quarter when the arms started getting tired. Just kept ticking off each 500m and waited for the others at 9k (they were skins, I chickened out and wore a suit). Great experience to tick that 10k box (and a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the one time I bounced 10k in a pool lane!)

my better half was also doing a long swim at the weekend, just over 8k from one pier to another in lough conn, they got mid 20km/hr winds blowing chop straight at them for the first 3 or 4k then side / behind them for the rest, she likes the choppy / swelly stuff but even she said it was touch and go at times. but they all got through it and were delighted, 3 men and her, she did skins, the men all in wetsuits , anyway i knew you were doing something similar so i was curious to see what conditions you got, glad to hear it was good ..

Valentia Hardman Sprint

May as well throw up a report on this race which bookended the 2020 triathlon "season". Got down the day before and did a scout of the bike course... immediately noticing the lack of recent training as going uphill was heavy work. Raceday itself was a glorious sunny day, the most perfect weather one could expect from late September in Kerry. Everyone seemed happy and there was a friendly air about, people delighted to be getting a race in such fantastic conditions. After a very entertaining race briefing from Alan we were counted onto the ferry to race start at Renard point.

Swim 10:37 (9th/141)
    Water was perfect, I had a good start and was swimming strongly. Some good battles throughout the swim, its only a matter of seconds at the end but these battles are the factors in keeping a good stroke and effort. Probably the perfect swim in terms of balancing enjoyment and exhaustion... which is very much what I wanted from the day, so I was very happy exiting at the lifeboat ramp.

Bike 36:52 (55th/141)
    The bike was always going to be my downfall... very little training done recently, in fact the last time I was on the bike was the Hardman ROK. I was passed by many on the initial uphill, fewer along the high road traversing the top of the island, and managed to grab back a couple of spots on the flatter return. Overall about 4 mins slower than what I might have done fit, so I can't really complain. It is embarrassing having one of the flashiest bikes on the course and being passed by so many, although that should give me incentive for next season.

Running 22:54 (28th/141)
    My knee was aching from the bike, allowing the entertaining thought of pulling out in T2- thankfully the better half of my brain fought this thought, and I started out up the hill. Its a steady climb for 2.5k until turnaround, and as tough mentally as it is physically. Fighting with the brain again, I lied that I could walk if I just made it to the top of the hill out of Knightstown, then to 1km point, then just try and run another 500m... by that time there's only 1km to turnaround and your brain is half convinced the race ends there as its all downhill after.
    Felt like I was running within myself rather than at my limit going up, but going down I pushed harder and in fact thais was the hardest part of the run for me. Everyone ahead had a target on their back, and after I passed one I targeted the next, just opening up the legs and upping the effort. This paid dividends as I took 4 or 5 going down, just ran out of distance to a bunch of three just at the finish, but very happy at the end with how the run went.

Overall 1:13:00 (24th/141)
    As ever, Hardman events put on a fantastic race, with the usual lack of stress and high enjoyment. The TO official at the start said they had given zero penalties in their races for 2020, imploring that this record be maintained, and I think it was. There's always a good atmosphere at Valentia, but this year even more so I think. Very happy I made the journey, and will be back again next year (with a bit more training under the belt!).

Speaking of training, I had high hopes for racing at the start of the year, but motivation waned as Covid lockdowns and race cancellations took effect. I'm very happy to have finished the year on a high point, that will feed into winter miles over the next few months, and lets see what 2021 brings.

Mon Masters

400m warmup
    6*75 as 25k, 50drill
    400TT in 6:02
    3 sets of {
    2*100pb pace, 30s
    4*50pb on 60s, in 40s

An enjoyable session in that my son is now attending- there's a crazy limbo period in club swimming: when you turn 18 you can no longer swim with the kids club you grew up with, and typically are too young for Masters (which are generally 25+).

Of course I was dreading to TT, but in the end it went well (1:25, 1:29, 1:33, 1:35 or thereabouts). Thats a decent marker for the start of the year, and should come under 6mins next time. I tumbled except for the three times I wanted to eyeball the clock- next time will tumble throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

looks like you need a newer bike i think yours is the cheaper version of zicos bike and thats the problem ....

peter kern wrote: »
    looks like you need a newer bike i think yours is the cheaper version of zicos bike and thats the problem ....

At this stage its safe to say throwing money at the problem won't solve anything :p

Tue 7*200m step test

Just logging here as its been a marker over the past few years. The idea is you do 7 200's off 5mins, each one 7 seconds faster than the last. My goal was to get just under 3mins for the last one, but I messed up the proceeding maths and in any case wasn't pacing any of them correctly.
    3:31
    3:26
    3:23
    3:19
    3:08
    3:03
    2:59
    Started off too quick for the first one, rookie error. Breathing was a bit tight towards the end but happy enough with downward progression and I was glad the last one dipped just under 3mins.

Some housekeeping:

Dec
    I've been lazy, haven't been on a bike in an age, just tipping away in the Fastlane, but managed to run at least 30mins each day in December. I managed to scout a few new-to-me trails during these runs, which is always a bonus. Hightlight runs as ever occurred during the Xmas week, including a mucky run across boggy Cavan farmland on the 26th, and a glorious run up Bray Head in Valentia on the 30th.

Jan
    The new year started with a dry cough, low energy, and the weird sensation of waking up one day and realising something was different... no sense of smell. I didn't bother getting tested, just isolated and thankfully things didn't get too bad. Looking on the bright side, I had the messy job of changing a leaking toilet to do, there's always a silver lining... today was the first day I could slightly smell bacon cooking. Fingers crossed.
    Otherwise the last few weeks have been ok, started back some tentative training, going to keep the runs easy for a while, and hopefully build the bike and swims. I bought a new HR sensor (Polar OH1) which is vastly more accurate than the wrist based Garmin 935, it will be useful to train by HR for a while.

Plans for the year... make the most of things. I've entered a load of races, but who knows what will come to pass. I guess the season goal is the ITU Equation champs this Sept in Amsterdam. Otherwise I'll just treat each race as a bonus, if it goes ahead. I'm entered a good few of the Hardman series, they have a better chance than most. If no races go ahead I'll just travel round Ireland and look for interesting places to swim, run, and bike. Hopefully see a few of ye at some races too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

good timming for diy job ... hope it works out well healthwise

did you change your mind how the gov deals with covid now that you had it ?

Ah don't get me started Peter...! No my views haven't changed: the Irish Government response to Covid has been a disaster from day 1. Most people who get it, get over it. There are obvious measures which a small island could take to prevent spread... I feel sorry most of all for our younger people. No discos, no sports clubs, no socialising, no dating, no school, no exams... and a looming economic depression to look forward to once the money presses run out of ink...

You did ask!:D But thankfully government buffoonery is something Ireland is well used to so it's not any surprise, and more important we have a beautiful country to enjoy where the best things are free.

• Advertisement

Feb

Bit of a mixed bag this month, things were going fine for the first couple of weeks, upping the distance slightly (and keeping the intensity low). I ran through slush and sleet for 90mins for one run, and although I kept the pace down and felt good during the activity, by evening I was shivering and felt like death warmed up. Took a few days off and then back on the horse (mule).

Recovery from this virus is weird, plodding is fine but any exertion soon tips over the edge and sends the HR rocketing. On the positive side, I managed a couple of very short sea dips, a couple of enjoyable hill runs, and swimming in the fastlane is becoming a habit. More of the same for March I think, slow and steady.

Advertisement