Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Now it's dying down in cork city, heaviest shower I've seen in months if not over a year and a bit. That could have easily cured the drought alone (seeing as we weren't badly affected down here! )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In about 10 minutes of the rain, you can see the rain piling up in my back garden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cloud eventually opened up here near Tralee, can see convection but not sure if it will lead to thunderstorms here, went from 15 to 19C in a short space of time, Rh 80%, light N'ly

vent_uk_enl6.png

KbeV7f1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Loud thunder to the south of Durrow, Laois County.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Another loud thunder rumble in cork city. Had my kitchen window open because it was roasting and it's now flooded. Edit: and sun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Some development off southeast Angelsey now, yet to spark but could be interest for south Dublin, north Wicklow in the next couple of hours.

Flow here is due east here In Arklow now
    Those are just 12 miles off the coast atm
    Wicklow head south to courtown
    No sparks though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Flow here is due east here In Arklow now
    Those are just 12 miles off the coast atm
    Wicklow head south to courtown
    No sparks though

They won't make it, I don't think. Inland convective stuff over the sea. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

They won't make it, I don't think. Inland convective stuff over the sea. :(

Aye
    My analysis of the other evening stands :D
    Mortelaro wrote: »
    I think here in Arklow based on all that,I think its likely that we can fly metal coated kites with long thin metal wires high in our open fields Saturday and sunday without much risk,ditto along the east coast and Dublin

Everyone else further west may stay indoors with earplugs and dark sun glasses and further west still,perhaps secure the delf in the dresser as it might move about or break with the noise
    People up through Galway and Mayo sensitive to flash photography would also need to pull down the black out blinds

Speaking of blackouts,I'd advise having phone batteries charged and the stove lit for cooking the dinner out west

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Kilkenny and Tipp the place to be right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Thunder, SE Tipp,for last 15 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Am I the only one amazed by the accuracy of the high Res models? Effectively forecasting individual cells with precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

hawkwing wrote: »
    Thunder, SE Tipp,for last 15 mins

Yep heard that a while ago and just after a heavy shower as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fairly decent showing already. See some sferics in Kerry now too

YLQ6UHT.png

nwief2V.png

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Any chance of sparks reaching Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Torrential rain in Mallow followed by thunder and lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Torrential rain in Mallow followed by thunder and lightning

Holy moly, some massive bangs and forks just there. Been going on about 40 mins now...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Nice organised line of TS in the SW now. Also some sparks around South Wales now. Some models show a more organised band of cells pushing into the coastal Wexford then Waterford in the next few hours, intensifying as they do. Might be something of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Nothing here in allihies. Sky is very dark but no rain or thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Massive thunderstorm near mallow. Not seen this for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yellow thunderstorm warning issued by ME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

JCX BXC wrote: »

A bit late really,looks like the action is nearly finished in tipp anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Massive thunderstorm near mallow. Not seen this for a long time.

Was cool wasn't it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

JCX BXC wrote: »

Ennis is enjoying a beautiful evening with those narrow cell of severe thunderstorms just missing South of the county. Doubt Ennis and the county in general will be so lucky tomorrow. Looks like we are at the firing line of some pretty nasty weather for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Hows it looking for Dublin tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jez lads can ye not put up video of the storms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Jez lads can ye not put up video of the storms

the camera is on loan in another country.

Reversal wrote: »
    Nice organised line of TS in the SW now. Also some sparks around South Wales now. Some models show a more organised band of cells pushing into the coastal Wexford then Waterford in the next few hours, intensifying as they do. Might be something of interest.

Yes ICON was touting that earlier and now ECM 12Z is also showing heavy rain with possible thunderstorms around Waterford later tonight, maybe from around 22.00 and heavy rain could run along Southern coasts, Cork might see some more thundery downpours in the early hours as could around Limerick.

rY7wCrh.png

mQgJxm3.png

Plenty of convection heading for the SE in the next few hours, not much sferics coming from it at this stage though.

Some new sferics in the SW, will it fire more over the mountains ?

M2y87cW.gif

BwuLjxg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Rainbow is out here now. FFS. What a let down

chris2007 wrote: »
    Hows it looking for Dublin tomorrow

Going through the models there seems to be low chance now of thunderstorms around Dublin, might be some action in the Irish Sea tomorrow evening/ night that might stray onto land but in general low chance I would think.

EDIT: AROME is showing the prospect of some heavy rain early tomorrow evening in the E, dont know if this will become electrified.

Latest ECM 12Z showing some high CAPE readings tomorrow with thunderstorms breaking out early.

PDu20j4.png

PQqWsUr.png

aZd59EF.png

mT0hv6E.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

A bit late really,looks like the action is nearly finished in tipp anyway
    just got very heavy rain,thunder and lightening for 30 mins,seems to be gone towards cashel now

Advertisement