Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Defunct Bands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

:) Thats them

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

what about.the bogey boys,katmandu,mamas boys,the rhythym kings.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Can anyone remember this massive attack type band from cork who were almost big in the mid 90s?Cant think of their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Davedubh wrote: »
    Can anyone remember this massive attack type band from cork who were almost big in the mid 90s?Cant think of their name.

Was that Sound Crowd Orchestra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Or was it Bass Oddsey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

It wasn't Little Beirut by any chance?

(Ps. I know there is another band going by that name now but they are not Irish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Or was it Bass Oddsey?

Thats them!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Degsy wrote: »
    Who did that cover of "maniac" that you'd hear in longford discos?
    That was Mark McCabe

Yeah Yeah Funky Yeah!

Has its own thread here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231707

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

Degsy wrote: »
    Who did that cover of "maniac" that you'd hear in longford discos?
    i heard that blaring in a bar in Laos last year :eek:

let's face it, this country's got a lot to answer for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

greatgoal wrote: »
    what about.the bogey boys,katmandu,mamas boys,the rhythym kings.:)
    Ah, The Bogey Boys. Jimmy Smyth and the lads. They only released two albums, both of which are still in my collection. Their most famous song was Friday Night. Was anyone else a fan ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Do any of you remember, Kelly Ann? She had only released two songs as far as I can recall. The well known one was called 'Do you love me boy?' It sounded very summery with kettle drums being part of the music track.

The Carter Twins ( formerly known as, Brother to Brother ) Sang the song Twelfth of Never. Were signed to EMI and were at one point managed by Louis Walsh. They did the usual publicity, gigs, guest appearances at The Point Depot, Pantomimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

chughes wrote: »
    Ah, The Bogey Boys. Jimmy Smyth and the lads. They only released two albums, both of which are still in my collection. Their most famous song was Friday Night. Was anyone else a fan ?
    Wudn't say I was a fan but I remember "ain't no rock n' roll tonight" very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Anyone remember Tokyo Olympics, I have an album by them called 'Radio' somewhere in the attic, also can anyone remember what they were previously called?

On the subject of the band Subterrainians, didn't they play in the Underground club in Dame Street in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

vektarman wrote: »
    Anyone remember Tokyo Olympics, I have an album by them called 'Radio' somewhere in the attic, also can anyone remember what they were previously called?

D.C Nien ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    D.C Nien ?

Used to go see DC Nein in Toners back in the day. How about the the Atrix and the Radiators?

Gigs in the Dandelion parking lot on weekends, 2 bands for 50p.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Had a search through the attic and chilled with a few of these albums- Les Enfants, Auto Da Fe and Tokyo Olympics among others aah the memories!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

JJ72 were pretty good. One great album, and 'I To Sky' was decent too. Whipping Boy's 'Heartworm' was amazing and still listen to both Kerbdog's albums too, shame, they could've been huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

pauro 76 wrote: »
    JJ72 were pretty good. One great album, and 'I To Sky' was decent too. Whipping Boy's 'Heartworm' was amazing and still listen to both Kerbdog's albums too, shame, they could've been huge.

"Snow" was my favourite song ever when I was about 10.....

I think I'll go and listen to them now.

But what happened to them... Why did they not put much more out??

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jj72

Really wish they'd released that 3rd album, I'd have loved to have heard it despite the record label battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone remember kerry ann?
    i remember doing her posters and stuff when i worked in a printing factory around 1998

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

anyone remember kerry ann?
    i remember doing her posters and stuff when i worked in a printing factory around 1998

I do. I posted the same question and I mistakenly called her Kelly Ann! Lol!

Yea and the song 'Do you love me boy'. I think she had only two songs out. Can't recall the other one. I think she was down as Kerrie Ann but then again I am so confused between, Kelly Ann, Kerry Ann or Kerrie Ann. Lol! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

the immediate from dublin.
    they only had 1 album before they broke up in 07 but it is pure class
    amazing live too
    i was lucky to see them twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

The Fountainhead
    The Frames
    Cactus World News
    The Stunning
    Black Velvet Band...

Some bands that are still going (or reformed) like Paranoid Visions, Sultans of Ping FC

And some good bands that never quite made it, like the Whipping Boy and the Golden Horde

Ah The Fountainhead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6LChbjQAx0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Power of Dreams have reformed, touring next year

REUNION TOUR DATES
    5 March - London, Luminaire
    6 March – Birmingham, Flapper
    7 March - Guildford, Boileroom
    10 March Dundalk, Spirit Store
    12 March - Dublin, Whelans
    13 March - Cork, The Pavillion

A 2CD limited edition of the debut album 'Immigrants, Emigrants and Me' containing all 14 original tracks plus the debut “A Little Piece of God” ep and various b-sides, will be released on 1st March 2010.

Pre-order @ http://www.onehundredpercentmusic.bigcartel.com/product/power-of-dreams-20th-anniversary-double-cd-immigrants-emigrants-and-me

http://www.myspace.com/powerofdreams
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117774751776&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lads In Tua Nua might have been crappy enough as a band (I don't remember hearing of them as a youngster) but I seen their lead singer, Leslie Dowdall play a gig last year and she was great!

And Steve Wickham's success with the Waterboys is astronomical. He is the Jimi Hendrix of the fiddle. A very down to earth fella too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Overflow wrote: »
    Ah The Fountainhead

Also-rands, tbh.

/boom-tish

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

6 pages and nobody's mentioned Toasted Heretic yet - they were brilliant, back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Lpfsox wrote: »
    6 pages and nobody's mentioned Toasted Heretic yet - they were brilliant, back in the day.

Indeed, got their two albums on a double CD recently, Great Stuff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

This is one that had been bugging me for years, this act were called Natural Wild and I saw them doing this song on TV, think it must have been TV Gaga. I half remembered the song title as Hot And Sexual and had been trying to Google it in recent years without success. The female vocalist was black or mixed race which was very exotic for an Irish band in the mid 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dunno if this site was posted, it is very good
    https://www.irishrock.org/irodb/azfull.html

never had a golden horde album but this was on a compilation album and I loved it, sounds as good today. The backing singer reminds me of Kim Deal (pixies)

Advertisement