Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cabin in woods

• 02-05-2019 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

What would be the legality of installing a wooden cabin in an wooded area of North Mayo owned by my gf's family? Would we need planning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yes, you would need planning regardless of size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If no one reports you for 6 years then the planning authority won't take any action. So from S&SS point of view its down to how well you know your neighbors and if any can see whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gman2k wrote: »
    Yes, you would need planning regardless of size.

Not true. See
    https://www.logcabinssouthwest.co.uk/log-cabin-planning-permission

depends on size also.

There have been a few threads here on "accommodation and property" on log cabins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not true. See

depends on size also.

There have been a few threads here on "accommodation and property" on log cabins
    That is UK specific, the interpretation of a log cabin company and only about outbuildings, not standalone log cabins for living in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not true. See

depends on size also.

In this case I think the OP in living is Ireland and not putting it in their garden. A cabin in the woods wouldn't be classed the same way as a cabin in your back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Graces7 wrote:
    Not true. See

Please look up Irish legislation before spreading irrelevant nonsense.
    A standalone structure used as a dwelling requires planning permission, regardless if size.

A standalone structure used as a dwelling requires planning permission, regardless if size.

:eek:

I did not specify/mention residential use/dwelling.

Small log cabins have many uses; here it would be a private chapel /craft room.

Over and out as discourtesy is unaccptable

and thank you for giving me food for thought on this... Craft room log cabin...

I did not specify/mention residential use/dwelling.

Small log cabins have many uses; here it would be a private chapel /craft room.

Over and out as discourtesy is unaccptable

and thank you for giving me food for thought on this... Craft room log cabin...

North Mayo is the location the OP specified so your link to UK legislation is absolutely irrelevant nonsense, pointless post-count, essentially worthless noise from someone who doesn't know what they're writing about. Nothing personal Grace, but an internet connection and an opinion doesn't equate to knowledge as far as most of us are concerned.

In the context of the OP's question, where the intelligent assumption to make is that a Log Cabin in the woods in North Mayo is most likely intended as some form of dwelling, Gman2K is correct: Planning permission is legally required regardless of size.. Consult the Mayo County Council planning department for guidance.

DB and My3Cents have also corrected your misinformation, which you've quite typically completely ignored so you can skip to taking offence at being put straight on the matter. If you're wrong, you're wrong. It would be better to take the time to inform yourself first, rather than to argue with those who have afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I've heard of people doing it and nothing seems to have happened as far as I know. Sometimes people move a mobile home in first, establish a presence, then adapt/ extend. Obviously depends on neighbours as those living in locality will soon know about it. Not legal but not unusual for legislation to be ignored in this country (and many others). Issues will/ may arise if land/ property ever has to be sold. And before anyone castigates this, I came across a fairly substantial commercial premise not long ago 'hidden' in a dense plantation and I'm pretty certain there's no planning for it. So if landowners are getting away with that, a mobile home/ chalet is a relatively minor issue. I'm not recommending ignoring legislation, just observing that it happens.

• Advertisement

=JayZeus;110406960

Not sure what your empty post means? All your posts are like this.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I've heard of people doing it and nothing seems to have happened as far as I know. Sometimes people move a mobile home in first, establish a presence, then adapt/ extend. Obviously depends on neighbours as those living in locality will soon know about it. Not legal but not unusual for legislation to be ignored in this country (and many others). Issues will/ may arise if land/ property ever has to be sold. And before anyone castigates this, I came across a fairly substantial commercial premise not long ago 'hidden' in a dense plantation and I'm pretty certain there's no planning for it. So if landowners are getting away with that, a mobile home/ chalet is a relatively minor issue. I'm not recommending ignoring legislation, just observing that it happens.

Given the forum this thread is in? The offices will not be functioning in an emergency. Need to apply the spirit of the thread.

And as you say rightly?

Given the forum this thread is in? The offices will not be functioning in an emergency. Need to apply the spirit of the thread.

And as you say rightly?

Spirit of the thread? Self sufficiency relies on knowledge. Actual knowledge. Studied from valid sources for relevant information or learned from actual experience.

Not every thread is for entertainment and this is clearly for other purposes. A specific scenario was described here with a request for relevant advice, not an invitation to hypothesise about TEOTWAWKI and the collapse of civic administrations.

What we get is more nonsense as usual, despite having had all the time you’d need to wise up, when you have nothing of value to contribute otherwise. Which you still refuse to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

=JayZeus;110406960

Not sure what your empty post means? All your posts are like this.

Their posts aren't empty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Their posts aren't empty?

I think she's trying to say she has him on Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You can build whatever you like if you are also prepared to remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Stealth living - a farm shed with clear perspex roof panels, build an apartment inside it.
    I know of 2 in my local area... no planning permission, people living inside.
    Only clue is, smoke coming from a flue.

Advertisement