Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    In all fairness Clare people avoid the place, it's a kip. It's overrun by drug lords from a neighbouring county all summer. No problem getting a sniff of coke or a score.

Yes, because it's impossible to get drugs anywhere in Clare except when there are Limerick people in Kilkee :rolleyes:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/valen-crimes-day-two-cocaine-9818409

That’s one thing that I should have noticed before but has only become obvious to me fairly recently. I have never actually met anyone from the likes of Ennis or Shannon in Kilkee, come to think of it. Nor does anyone I know from either one ever go there.

There's nearly two centuries of history explaining that anomaly.

https://www.kilkee.ie/home/the-history-of-kilkee/
    During the early part of the 19th century, Kilkee was just a small fishing village but in the 1820s when a paddle steamer service from Limerick to Kilrush was launched, it began to attract visitors.[7]

As the town was more accessible to people from Limerick rather than Clare, holidaying in Kilkee became more of a Limerick custom, due to steamboats travelling daily up and down the River Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Yes, because it's impossible to get drugs anywhere in Clare except when there are Limerick people in Kilkee :rolleyes:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/valen-crimes-day-two-cocaine-9818409

I didn't mention any particular county. I didn't say anything about drugs for sale or being used. I'm referring to a people I've seen there and it's been pointed out to me who they are. There names are on the national news regularly.

Just a passenger

I didn't mention any particular county

You didn't mention any county, but you obviously meant Limerick seeing as the vast majority of visitors are from there.
    I didn't say anything about drugs for sale or being used.

I'm pretty sure that's what this meant.
    No problem getting a sniff of coke or a score.

I'm referring to a people I've seen there and it's been pointed out to me who they are. There names are on the national news regularly.

Kilkee is a long way from being overrun by them. Most are behind bars and the rest wouldn't make up even 1% of the 20,000 Limerick visitors to Kilkee. And BTW there are plenty of their relatives living up the road in Kilrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

4ensic15 wrote: »
    People seeking a good hotel with good food and the possibility of golf or hill walking or sea bathing or sightseeing. More low budget hotels will only go the way of their predecessors. More self-catering accommodation will be occupied by non-spenders. That is why the business in the town has shrunk to a few coffee shops and a few mini markets.

There is also the hinterland to explore if visitors had a decent hotel to base themselves in. Loop Head peninsula, Shannon Estuary, boat trips from Carrigaholt, tours of Scattery Island etc. All are within driving distance of Kilkee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Radio5 wrote: »
    There is also the hinterland to explore if visitors had a decent hotel to base themselves in. Loop Head peninsula, Shannon Estuary, boat trips from Carrigaholt, tours of Scattery Island etc. All are within driving distance of Kilkee.

And, for example, Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Rotting seaweed. It always gets washed down to that end of the beach. Apparently it can't be removed from blue flag beaches.
    fryup wrote: »
    but why?? if its causing a smell its going to put people off going to said beach surely??
    That is what I am trying to figure out.
    The seaweed on the beach is like lawn clippings ....... discarded from the growing weed in the sea.

The Council isn't being entirely accurate with their citation of Criteria 16 (the article says 15, but that's wrong) as a reason that they can't remove the seaweed.

It's true that Criteria 16 does say that "Algal vegetation or natural debris must be left on the beach.", however, it goes on to say that
    Vegetation should not be allowed to accumulate to the point where it becomes a hazard, however, only if it is absolutely necessary should vegetation be removed. This could include accumulation of seaweed in warm weather causing decay, which in turn produces odours that attract flies and their larvae. Rotting seaweed could also be slippery and become a hazard for people walking on the shoreline. It could also reduce access to the beach for recreational activities or for disabled users.

which specifically says that it SHOULD be removed if it's causing a smell or other issues.

It also says
    If vegetation accumulation is persistent on the beach, it is recommended that a seaweed management strategy is developed, as a part of the beach management plan.

here's a link to the PDF: http://beachawards.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Blue-Flag-Beach-Criteria-Ireland-2018.pdf

as mentioned previously, Blue Flag beaches in places like Spain and Italy are raked by tractor every morning to remove washed up accumulated seaweed. Sounds like the Council are selectively using a part of the criteria to justify inaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

+1. The drive to Loop Head on a summer’s day is unreal. Visiting Loop Head lighthouse is a must. If you can, take in Kilbaha, Cross & Carrigaholt while you’re at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Those amenities are really Summer amenities. No decent hotel can survive on the Summer season only.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Those amenities are really Summer amenities. No decent hotel can survive on the Summer season only.

True enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

In all fairness Clare people avoid the place, it's a kip. It's overrun by drug lords from a neighbouring county all summer. No problem getting a sniff of coke or a score.

As someone from Kilkee I can tell you the above statement is cr@p. It is regularly graded as one of the most popular resorts in Ireland. Try getting somewhere to stay in July and August. Booked out solid. Using the word "kip" tells me you have never been in Kilkee and if you were I'd say you were on the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Spent every summer there throughout the 80s and 90s but it is a sad shadow of itself these days.

Kilkee looks far better now than it did in the 1980's or 90's. Anyone who lives there or goes there regularly will tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Palmach wrote: »
    Kilkee looks far better now than it did in the 1980's or 90's. Anyone who lives there or goes there regularly will tell you that.

In what way?

I’ve been in Kilkee every summer since 1987. It doesn’t really look that much different tbh. Just more run down & rougher. As regards trouble being caused in the town, yeh some of the Limerick scobes are partly responsible for it but the local riff raff are just as bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I know I'm sugar coating a lot but I remember the West End, by the Bandstand being awesome in the 80/90's, The Victoria Hotel and Murphy's Shop & Cafe used to have great crowds around them, I still remember the childhood treat of a strawberry sundae in Murphy's and another time watching a band on the balcony of the Victoria.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember Murphy's used to get a delivery from O'Connor's daily, the queue would be out the door for the French sticks

Well I went there every summer for two months all through the 80s and 90s. I was shocked at how run down the town has become and the lack of investment in facilities in the area. The public toilets are IDENTICAL to when I used them in the mid-80s.

Inexcusable.

And my friends and family that still go there every year have all said it is a shadow of its heydey.

I have to agree.

It looks like a dead resort with no future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

As someone from Kilkee I can tell you the above statement is cr@p. It is regularly graded as one of the most popular resorts in Ireland. Try getting somewhere to stay in July and August. Booked out solid. Using the word "kip" tells me you have never been in Kilkee and if you were I'd say you were on the sauce.

What a joke. I saw a "Vacancies" sign in a window in the 2nd week of August. Add that to the fact that there is very little accommodation in the town. Since the sixties, the Atlantic Hotel, the Thomond Hotel, The Marine Hotel and the Victoria Hotel and the Hydro hotel have all closed. There is also a lot less casual B&B as well. Some of the pubs on O Curry St don't open until 6 pm, in the peak tourist months! Apart from coffee shops there are only 2 lunch venues in the whole town. Compare that to Westport or Kinsale.

"It is regularly graded as one of the most popular resorts in Ireland".
    Can you point us to any link that states this about Kilkee?

Strange how the visitors to the place all seem to be saying the same thing. You really need to prove yourself otherwise otherwise you're spouting nonsense.
    I usually go that way a few times a year fishing but I don't stop off because there's nothing to attract visitors.
    The last time I visited the beach at Kilkee was about 10 years ago. I was digging in the sand with my kids and I met a broken beer bottle about 6 inches down. Almost took the finger off me, I'll never forget the pain and the blood all over the sand and my kids screaming. The lifeguard had no first aid kit and no idea what to do. I went up to the medical centre but it was closed for lunch. A woman in the chemists there got a doctor for me after a while and he came down and stitched it up with 8 stitches.

I can quite easily say it's one of the dirtiest beaches on the west coast of Ireland.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wow! Some serious negativity!

Now I'd be the first to say I dislike Kilkee, but having worked there in the past the tourist comments are normally always overwhelmingly positive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

"It is regularly graded as one of the most popular resorts in Ireland".
    Can you point us to any link that states this about Kilkee?

Strange how the visitors to the place all seem to be saying the same thing. You really need to prove yourself otherwise otherwise you're spouting nonsense.
    I usually go that way a few times a year fishing but I don't stop off because there's nothing to attract visitors.
    The last time I visited the beach at Kilkee was about 10 years ago. I was digging in the sand with my kids and I met a broken beer bottle about 6 inches down. Almost took the finger off me, I'll never forget the pain and the blood all over the sand and my kids screaming. The lifeguard had no first aid kit and no idea what to do. I went up to the medical centre but it was closed for lunch. A woman in the chemists there got a doctor for me after a while and he came down and stitched it up with 8 stitches.

I can quite easily say it's one of the dirtiest beaches on the west coast of Ireland.

How do you know its dirty if its 10 years since you were on the beach?

As regards nothing to do there is a golf course, kayak hire, a beach, pollock holes for swimming, diving boards, kayak hire, scubadiving, 2 cliff walks, a pier and slipway for launching boats and thats off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

jasper100 wrote: »

As regards nothing to do there is a golf course, kayak hire, a beach, pollock holes for swimming, diving boards, kayak hire, scubadiving, 2 cliff walks, a pier and slipway for launching boats and thats off the top of my head.

The kayaking must be bleedin’ deadly since you listed it twice !

jasper100 wrote: »

All you seem to want to do is argue with people, you're not listening to what people are highlighting to you! How does that look to potential tourists reading this? Makes the place look as negative as the descriptions on this thread.

Realistically, Kilkee is popular amongst Limerick people as their staycation destination. It does not attract foreign tourists like other locations in the county and the country. It's simply a home away from home for a couple of months for the crowd it attracts. As for hotels, they need business all year round to survive, 2 busy months won't pay the bills for the other 10 they lie empty.

Apart from the golf club the activities you mention are really poor money generators, they're more of a token gesture to keep teenagers occupied while the parents get pissed.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

You couldn't spend money in Kilkee if you wanted to. Restaurants are either closed when it's quiet or queues out the door when it's busy. The small shops for food have barely anything in them

Met an old neighbour from Kilkee this morning and I of course immediately thought of this thread. Asked them what they think of the place these days. They said that, despite buying a new mobile there this year, and spending a lot of time there as a result, they thought it was the worst atmosphere there in years this summer.

Even with the cracking weather this summer they said the caravan park was half empty and they place was just deserted most of the time. No atmosphere at night anywhere.

Met an old neighbour from Kilkee this morning and I of course immediately thought of this thread. Asked them what they think of the place these days. They said that, despite buying a new mobile there this year, and spending a lot of time there as a result, they thought it was the worst atmosphere there in years this summer.

Even with the cracking weather this summer they said the caravan park was half empty and they place was just deserted most of the time. No atmosphere at night anywhere.

Really?

From personal experience (while I haven't spent much time there this year), Kilkees at its best since the end of the Celtic Tiger. New small hotel this year, the Irish house is now a two storey Café, new chipper (takes the nightclub leavers though so not of great quality), live music very often, O'Maras seems to really be bustling. For next year we have the Kilkee Bay Hotel reopening and the potential for a new retail unit across from 'Mr.Kebabish'. During the hot weather it was very very busy, but granted as it was not in the full peak it would have been busier had the spell fell in July and August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Is The Strand still open? That’s a great restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Deagol

My daughter lives in Kilkee (cheap rent!), and I was up there a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I was shocked by just how busy it was.

Was a rainy, fairly miserable afternoon and the place was absolutely jammers.

Now, having not been anywhere in the town I can't comment on the available ameneties etc but any seaside town that is packed on a wet weekend can't be doing that much wrong!

Is The Strand still open? That’s a great restaurant

It is!

I've never had a bad meal out of Myles's myself. I also love the indian!

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It is!

I've never had a bad meal out of Myles's myself. I also love the indian!

I miss the days when The Strand was a nightclub. Some great nights spent there (not that I remember much).

I like Myles’s, always have. Ger is A1, as are the staff there

Advertisement