Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese Hair Straightening

Options
  • 25-02-2005 3:06pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭

anyone know a place in Dublin where you can get this done??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

What exactly is it compared to normal hair straightening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

isn't it they mega moisturise ur hair then lock it in with something? Ur hair will remain straight for a few months. I mite be wrong but i remember reading something about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i'm confused as to why u need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Bri wrote:
    What exactly is it compared to normal hair straightening?

My friend got this done in America and it's absolutely amazing looking. She had the fuzzy/frizzy thick hair that was really unattractive. It would take me ages to straighten her hair for her with the GHD and even then when a bit of moisture or heat got near it, it frizzed up again.

So she got this done. As far as I know, they put a chemical on your hair to open up the hair folicles and then GHD it straight which locks the hair into that style. Something like that anyways and you can't wet your hair for 4 or 5 days (which looked terrible). Then you gotta condition your hair really well, they gve you this superduper condtioner. And Ta DAH... her hair looked amazing. She could wash her hair and let it dry naturally and it was poker straight. Saved her so much hassle in the morning times and when going out.

It is rather expensive but if your fuzz ball head of hair is getting you down its worth the money!!

• Advertisement

that sounds mad. i'd love that.
    but how long does it last?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Femmy wrote:
    that sounds mad. i'd love that.
    but how long does it last?

I think you're suppose to get it done after 6 months but not sure. Havent seen my mate in months as she's still over there. I'll try and find out.

Not sure whether you have to get it done as your hair starts growing. Coz then you'd have half straight and half fuzz. :eek: Eurgh!

Larianne wrote:
    Not sure whether you have to get it done as your hair starts growing. Coz then you'd have half straight and half fuzz. :eek: Eurgh!

ha ha , never thought of that.
    that would look kinda funny alright, lovely straight and smooth on the ends and then the top all mad and fuzzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

I heard about this as well on my holiday to Malaysia this year. Apparently most of the Asian girls have this permanent hair straightener. As far as I know it needs to grow out of your hair like a perm. In Malaysia it was approximately 150€ to be done which is a lot of money there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Kambika wrote:
    I heard about this as well on my holiday to Malaysia this year. Apparently most of the Asian girls have this permanent hair straightener. As far as I know it needs to grow out of your hair like a perm. In Malaysia it was approximately 150€ to be done which is a lot of money there.

Asian girls (guys too) genetically have perfectly straight thick black hair with almost no exceptions.

They don't need a GHD, just have to run a coarse brush through their hair et voilà!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

Well that's what the hairdresser told me and he was Asian :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nerdlinger

i've been getting it done for the last two years. it's brilliant!

you need to get your roots done about every 3 months or so.

where do u get it done and howmuch does it cost?
    when u wash your hair, is it still straight afterwards?

Femmy wrote:
    where do u get it done and howmuch does it cost?
    when u wash your hair, is it still straight afterwards?

i was getting it done in Japan, cos that's were i was living up until the other week. they were paying me to have it done, but that's another story. if i had paid for it, it would have cost about 150 euro, minimum. it depends on how much of the chemical pack they have to use, which obviously depends on the length of your hair.

yeah, when you wash it, it's still totally straight. my hair just dries naturally and you could rule your page with it. seeeeeya later frizzy hair! it's fantastic.

i remember before i left ireland, the hairdressers in the Shelbourne hotel, Reds (?) were doing it. you could also get it done in some of the asian hairdressers near the asia market, in dublin. i was asking around last week, and told that some place in tallaght village does it now.

nerdlinger wrote:
    . they were paying me to have it done, but that's another story. .

do go on, i'm bored and i'm intrigued.....

Femmy wrote:
    do go on, i'm bored and i'm intrigued.....

um, well i never said it was an interesting story.

it was 35 degrees and 98% humidity so things were not going well for my frizzy hair.

then a japanese company, trying to break into the american market, advertised for foreign hair to test their hair straightening product on. so i was all like, "me me MEEEEE!". they kept straightening it for as long as i lived in japan and paid me each time. all good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

wow, that sounds cool, I should get this done, I'd like be a little bit closer to being Japanaese

yeah thats mad!
    i'd love it, doubt anywhere in cork do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

This sounds really cool! I GHD my hair every morning without fail. Would love to have poker straight hair. I wonder if it would have much volume in it though, or would it look really flat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Marina-anseo

OP, did you end up getting this done somewhere?

I got mine done in Vancouver by a Japanese salon. Have real thick, curly, frizzy hair and now it's beautifully straight. It's very flat when first done, the hair gets more volume as your roots grow out.

Would love to know where does it in Dublin for my sister.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

15 year old thread :eek:

Locked, please don't resurrect old threads, just start a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement