Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F*** out of Kilkee NOW - that poster

Options
  • 11-04-2020 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I think this deserves a thread of its own. Those who haven't seen the notice left in kilkee for holiday home owners Google it, it has been picked up by the national press, radio and rte. I personally am disgusted by it and more so the the social media posts both surrounding it and building up to it.

For me Kilkee is geography an amazing place, don't think there is better on the west coast but there has always been an undercurrent of distain for visitors in the town. I'm unsure if this is purely reserved for Limerick residents or every visitor (I'm from Limerick). For the past 4 weeks there has been a build up on social media, including masses of fake news and hersay being represented as fact. This has included local councilors, journalists and other media commentators. Their commentary has seemed to spur this distain this anti Limerick bias resulting in the destroying of their reputation as a holiday location (when people Google kilkee and see the Irish times headline, they won't go there).

Honestly I'm not surprised by this, I think the problem with kilkee is that a very large proportion of the local population are not invested in the village. They have no stake in it's success. There are large amounts of social housing within the village (so no financial stake in local property) and the unemployment rate of 28.1%, is higher than ballymun per the most recent census. These people do not benefit from the town's success and don't suffer from it's failure. They get their dole regardless, I'd imagine the high season is an inconvenience for them due to the large influx of people enjoying the town's services.

I want to qualify my theory above by saying that there are a lot of decent hard working people in Kilkee but I think a section of their society are dragging down the village.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember Kilkee was the most beautiful victorian town in Western Europe.

Sadly its a shadow of its former self, that place could be a gold mine for tourism.

I remember it in the 80's and until around 2003 it was a great example of a Town in Western Ireland which didn't destroy its victorian look.

Iv great ideas for that area, but ain't sharing on Boards as I shared ideas at meetings with tourism companies and conglomerates and they pulled the carpet from underneath me and ran with the plan, and implimented said plan and were awarded for someone else's creativity and they made a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

ABEasy wrote: »
    I think this deserves a thread of its own. Those who haven't seen the notice left in kilkee for holiday home owners Google it, it has been picked up by the national press, radio and rte. I personally am disgusted by it and more so the the social media posts both surrounding it and building up to it.

For me Kilkee is geography an amazing place, don't think there is better on the west coast but there has always been an undercurrent of distain for visitors in the town. I'm unsure if this is purely reserved for Limerick residents or every visitor (I'm from Limerick). For the past 4 weeks there has been a build up on social media, including masses of fake news and hersay being represented as fact. This has included local councilors, journalists and other media commentators. Their commentary has seemed to spur this distain this anti Limerick bias resulting in the destroying of their reputation as a holiday location (when people Google kilkee and see the Irish times headline, they won't go there).

Honestly I'm not surprised by this, I think the problem with kilkee is that a very large proportion of the local population are not invested in the village. They have no stake in it's success. There are large amounts of social housing within the village (so no financial stake in local property) and the unemployment rate of 28.1%, is higher than ballymun per the most recent census. These people do not benefit from the town's success and don't suffer from it's failure. They get their dole regardless, I'd imagine the high season is an inconvenience for them due to the large influx of people enjoying the town's services.

I want to qualify my theory above by saying that there are a lot of decent hard working people in Kilkee but I think a section of their society are dragging down the village.

I’m from Limerick so not a disgruntled Kilkee person & I live outside Kilkee in the next parish. There is one councillor in Kilkee and I have yet to see him say anything against any holidaymakers or visitors to kilkee, the other is in Loop Head and doesn’t use Social Media. Cillian Murphy The Kilkee Councillor has simply asked people respect the area and the current directives that are in place.
    Like anywhere you will always get a tiny minority who would disagree & argue with their own shadows.
    The poster that appeared on Social Media I can only assume the Gardaí have the copy as our local councillor hasn’t seen it or anyone else I’ve seen on Social media. A lot of people here are actually beginning to wonder if it’s even true. If it’s true that it was posted in letterboxes of holiday homes then this shows people are not following government directives and have arrived and entered their holiday homes. Our Superintendent mentioned turning a lot of cars back between 11-2am the night it was announced about checkpoints. If people would sneak down to their holiday homes in the middle of the night then can they be trusted to abide by social distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

People believing that it is ok to travel long distances to their holiday homes and then think the 2 km is the same for that home as their main home are egoists, selfish,
    knobs who don't care about anybody but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Carodh wrote: »
    I’m from Limerick so not a disgruntled Kilkee person & I live outside Kilkee in the next parish. There is one councillor in Kilkee and I have yet to see him say anything against any holidaymakers or visitors to kilkee, the other is in Loop Head and doesn’t use Social Media. Cillian Murphy The Kilkee Councillor has simply asked people respect the area and the current directives that are in place.
    Like anywhere you will always get a tiny minority who would disagree & argue with their own shadows.
    The poster that appeared on Social Media I can only assume the Gardaí have the copy as our local councillor hasn’t seen it or anyone else I’ve seen on Social media. A lot of people here are actually beginning to wonder if it’s even true. If it’s true that it was posted in letterboxes of holiday homes then this shows people are not following government directives and have arrived and entered their holiday homes. Our Superintendent mentioned turning a lot of cars back between 11-2am the night it was announced about checkpoints. If people would sneak down to their holiday homes in the middle of the night then can they be trusted to abide by social distancing etc.

In relation to your super, did he say this pubically (any link) or did he say it to you privately? I just find this very hard to believe that people would travel. Regarding your social distancing point, you can't make that assumption, to do so is speculation. I haven't seen anyone breaching the social distancing rules in 4 weeks, maybe you have.

Regarding cllr Murphy, he doesn't need to say anything about holiday makers, the constant hysteria peddled on social media grows and grows until someone thinks it's a good idea to do something stupid. He was on about empty airbnb units 2 days ago when there was a gardai enforced lockdown. If he felt it was an actual issue & wanted to do something about it the gardai have the power to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

People believing that it is ok to travel long distances to their holiday homes and then think the 2 km is the same for that home as their main home are egoists, selfish,

That's not what we are arguing here, but to address it. Anyone who travelled before the lockdown a fortnight ago was perfectly within their rights and in compliance with the medical advice of the CMO. Those who travelled since the lockdown were wrong and those who travelled since the enactment of the legal restrictions broke the law and should be punished.

Leaving holiday homes out of the equation and it seems to be a emotive point. The above point applies to anybody who travelled, students returning to family homes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gallee

ABEasy wrote: »
    That's not what we are arguing here, but to address it. Anyone who travelled before the lockdown a fortnight ago was perfectly within their rights and in compliance with the medical advice of the CMO. Those who travelled since the lockdown were wrong and those who travelled since the enactment of the legal restrictions broke the law and should be punished.

Leaving holiday homes out of the equation and it seems to be a emotive point. The above point applies to anybody who travelled, students returning to family homes, etc.

My Aunt lives in Kilkee and called me tonight about Kilkee and the people stirring it up. Cllr Murphy has been stirring the pot for the last few weeks. Then he starts a tirade about Air B and B and social responsibility yet he has his own property for rent in it as we speak. It’s all about credibility and he lost a lot of it. Air B and B description is a room for 65 a night and “2 minutes from everywhere” The contact is his wife btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here's a pic of the lad who put it up

1ca7fac9d017fed22a3a4d2e4b817b70.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They didn't. And if they did it was before the 2km travel ban.

It's a real slap in the face for the people that holiday in Kilkee. We've people coming from the UK in to our area to their house they spend every summer in to self isolate and the neighbours are dropping food in to them. Different community culture altogether.

Advertisement