Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

1131132133134135137»

Comments

• Sainsbury's spirits at the weekend:

Ha'penny Dublin gin: £22.50 (normally €35, bought 2)
    Monkey shoulder whiskey: £22 (normally €40+)
    Plymouth gin: £20 (normally €35+)

They have a couple of deals on their own brand spirits also, picked up a bottle of rum for £16 also. Bottles of yellowtail shiraz and campo viejo rioja were £6 each as well.

So, 5 bottles of spirits and 2 bottles of wine came to £114, or roughly €128.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Jack Daniels 1 litre currently GBP 20.00 in Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ Mariam Strong Gazelle

Thinking of taking a trip to Newry for Christmas Shopping. Anyone been? Is it worth it? I have a Revolut for Online shopping.

I know the exchange rate has weakened for us but do shops up there still offer parity?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Thinking of taking a trip to Newry for Christmas Shopping. Anyone been? Is it worth it? I have a Revolut for Online shopping.

I know the exchange rate has weakened for us but do shops up there still offer parity?

Thanks

Not sure about parity but booze is still a lot cheaper. Tesco's had 1l Bailey's for £12, buy 6 wines get 25% off, get 4 Ales for £6(exact ales are 10 euros here)

Not sure about parity but booze is still a lot cheaper. Tesco's had 1l Bailey's for £12, buy 6 wines get 25% off, get 4 Ales for £6(exact ales are 10 euros here)

Thanks very much for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If you're travelling from Kerry or Wexford , I couldn't see it worthwhile.
    You get the best of Irish beer in Aldi /Lidl for 1.79e a bottle. Irish Country Cream for 6.79e and a bottle of lovely bourbon whiskey for 14.50.
    Fuel, tolls,eating out ,parking, it would be had value for money in my opinion.
    Maybe if you get into somewhere like Savage & Whitten you might save a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Technique

I agree. I'm in Derry five days a week, but buy all my beer in Aldi or Lidl in Letterkenny. I've bought branded spirits in the north, but I wouldn't go out of my way to travel to do it.

Not looking for alcohol, to be honest I love browsing the Sainsbury's, boring I know, to see stuff we don't get here.

Also the card shop is very reasonable and you get the Granny Grandad Auntie stuff plus 5 cards for a pound, as we have a few of Sagittarius babies in the family.

Though the sister said they have Moet for about €25 a bottle if you buy 6 and she might want it for gifting, she says it's double that down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Glenn220390

Tesco.com at the moment is £25 off £70 for new customers using code XXHTFL at checkout. valid on orders up until 18/12

I have created a new account and used a random NI address and made my order for click and collect for Banbridge store. Code worked fine and discount applied.

All items I've ordered are already heavily discounted compared to my local Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not looking for alcohol, to be honest I love browsing the Sainsbury's, boring I know, to see stuff we don't get here.

This used to be my fave, all the special biscuit and chocolate collections we never had here but in the past couple of years I've noticed there's no difference anymore, that and sweets seem to be quite a bit more expensive in the North.

Though the sister said they have Moet for about €25 a bottle if you buy 6 and she might want it for gifting, she says it's double that down here.

They are, huge savings still to be had on drinks, especially the Branded ones.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    This used to be my fave, all the special biscuit and chocolate collections we never had here but in the past couple of years I've noticed there's no difference anymore, that and sweets seem to be quite a bit more expensive in the North.

They are, huge savings still to be had on drinks, especially the Branded ones.

We didn't make it in the end. I see sterling has dropped to 82p to the Euro which is huge difference from Summer.

I love browsing the food in Sainsburys, I'd love to go to Asda in Belfast but we have never made it. It's the novelty more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Although GBP had risen from 90p back in Oct to 83-84p, thanks to Brexit being sort of settled, the pound has fallen sharply in the last week or so.

18-Feb = 83p
    19-Mar = 93p

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/policy_and_exchange_rates/euro_reference_exchange_rates/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

The 92.985p today is the lowest in ten years against the euro.

Geuze wrote: »
    The 92.985p today is the lowest in ten years against the euro.

I wouldn’t go to NI even if it was parity-would like to support ROI and all that our great retailers and workers are doing- but I’ll certainly buy STG cash if parity to use again when this blows over

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I wouldn’t go to NI even if it was parity-would like to support ROI and all that our great retailers and workers are doing- but I’ll certainly buy STG cash if parity to use again when this blows over

No need to buy sterling cash when you can buy sterling in Revolut whenever. You can even set it to automatically convert when the exchange-rate hits a desirable point.

Will it hit parity by the end of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Just a quick query anybody driven up north recently just wondering if any covid checkpoints in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

afro man wrote: »
    Just a quick query anybody driven up north recently just wondering if any covid checkpoints in place

Nope, not around Enniskillen anyway, rarely saw any throughout this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭gussieg

just wondered has anyone else used this service yet? could be useful for those willing to collect something that just cant be delivered here otherwise. apart from the usual suspects, toxic noxious substances etc.

https://www.buttercraneshopping.co.uk/click-collect

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭gerrykiddy

Terrific service if its as described. Clearly ok for us to use as it accepts Eircode addresses. Was there today and its shame I didn't read this before I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭pummice

Where can I find the charges for this service?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

pummice wrote: »
    Where can I find the charges for this service?
    Tel: 028 3026 4627 Email: info@buttercraneshopping.co.uk

Advertisement