Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall Warning : Fri 30th / Sat 31st Aug 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A very dry day in the south east. It is amazing how spilt the weather can be on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Launching the Ark now in Galway what a day of rain and it's still lashing down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

August 30th 2019, the day of the drizzle.

As I suggest out earlier, only to be attacked, the ECM and Harmonie both grossly overestimated the rainfall totals for today for my town today.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's about 20kms away.

Many days you see polar opposite weather. Wet and misty in the city, dry in Athenry or clear sunny day in Salthill/ Galway city and cloudy and dull in Athenry.

The biggest difference I have noticed between Galway and my 'satellite town' is the wind. Galway has to be the windiest city in Ireland.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM still showing probably another 10 to 20mm tonight.

gP8eZTl.png?1

anim_uki1.gif

KFtzhsY.png

B2W0nWX.png

i4GI3GM.png

luWLSTj.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Over 35mm now in Castlebar, 8mm alone in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Them maps are wrong already

Theres been 34mm in Finner so far so it will pass 50mm

Theres been 7.5mm in the past hour in Belmullet and Newport

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very light rain here near Tralee today with the front staying mostly off the coast and the mountains doing a good job of soaking up much of what made it inland around here.

The front edges closer this evening and will be drawn in across the country tonight. Rain picking up here now 3.8mm.

Should be mostly gone through by 02.00 to 03.00

Bar 1006.3 hPa Falling Rapidly

NCLGHdp.jpg

PI6fhyV.gif

8ZWEmRJ.gif

pression2_uk_ggv3.png

anim_lfa5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

pauldry wrote: »
    Them maps are wrong already

Theres been 34mm in Finner so far so it will pass 50mm

Theres been 7.5mm in the past hour in Belmullet and Newport

Already more in athenry than shown up to midnight as well

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The_Outsider

36mm so far since midnight.
    Looks like a bit more to come too....jaysis

• Advertisement

Heavy rain arriving here near Tralee now.

ZPxjZEV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

A day of heavy rain, and it's still falling...between Oranmore and Athenry. This is more akin to weather in Autumn or Winter moreso than August judging by my pictures from this time of year on previous occasions....

Another 5.4mm in Belmullet

Sligo has 18mm today
    Newport 40mm
    Athenry about 30mm sick of adding
    Finner about 35mm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Absolutely appalling rain in Galway as I type. It’s lashing all day long and only seems to be getting heavier.

I know “it always rains in Galway” but I can’t remember an August as bad as this, it’s been incessant:( I’m trying to get a building job done right now though which is making me acutely aware of it. Crap timing.

Here’s hoping for the fabled Indian summer but a glance at the forecast for next week looks like it’s more of the same FFS.

47.8mm now in Castlebar, looks like we will hit 50mm by midnight.

Actually looking back we had 81mm on the 14th of October 2015, which was the most that fell in 24 hours in the last 60 years here.

It was actually the 14th of November 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Have no figures here but its been moderate to heavy rain non stop since around 3pm (after about 20 hours of light rain before that) and judging by the radar we're nowhere near done yet.

Tops off one of the worst summer weeks in memory for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Xenji wrote: »
    47.8mm now in Castlebar, looks like we will hit 50mm by midnight.

Actually looking back we had 81mm on the 14th of October 2015, which was the most that fell in 24 hours in the last 60 years here.
    Not sure that's the right date as mid-October 2015 was anticyclonic, before a change occurred on the 20th ushering in a more unsettled end.

EDIT: You mean 14th November 2015 when the remnants of a hurricane hit Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

33mm so far sw donegal wettest day in a while

Were still only at 18mm in Sligo

In fact since 9pm theres been barely any

Tonight though another 10mm

Nowhere near the record of Desmond for my rain gauge. There was over 90mm then. Our alley flooded completely. Never has since

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not sure that's the right date as mid-October 2015 was anticyclonic, before a change occurred on the 20th ushering in a more unsettled end.

EDIT: You mean 14th November 2015 when the remnants of a hurricane hit Ireland?

Yeah you are right, looking again it was November and we had over 350mm of rain that month.

• Advertisement

• Backend of the front now showing on latest radar. Clearance should push on to the Mayo coast in next hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Backend of the front now showing on latest radar. Clearance should push on to the Mayo coast in next hour or so.

Two slow moving to clear in an hour

https://twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1167547939847360513?s=20

Rainfall today so far, heaviest of the rain moving in now.

v040ldz.gif

So 53.4mm for the 24 hour period in Castlebar and currently we are having the heaviest falls of the day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The rain we have had here in Castlebar has just been extraordinary. It feels odd to look out the window and record what feels like an almost everyday event but I can't recall such a sustained downpour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfxb1v1JiGc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As heavy as its been all day here, I think the scientific term is 'pissing down'

Very heavy rain going through Tralee now.

14mm

cAGYmft.png

• Very heavy rain going through Tralee now.

14mm

Stopped now in the Westport area. The amount that has come down would rival any decent winter day. Back garden flooded. Manhole cover removed to let excess flow away. Normally only do this for the wettest days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Some nice rain falling here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

Woken from sleep to the sound of a deluge on the roof...someone tell it to stop...we cannot take much more rain here.

Advertisement