Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very wild in Galway now some very strong gusts and the wind seems to stay strong like it's not dying down between gusts as it normally does.all Aran Islands services suspended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Very wild in Galway now some very strong gusts and the wind seems to stay strong like it's not dying down between gusts as it normally does.

Aragh it's not that bad. I have a hurling game at 7pm...I will use those gusts to make the sliotar sail majestically over the bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Maybe for parts of SE Dublin (suburbs), but a lot of Dublin is exposed to westerly winds and especially the city centre with wind funneling down the Liffey valley.

True enough, was too lazy to write that in a my back garden fashion! South Co Dublin I think will just have a regular autumnal windy night. North of the county may well have some decent gusts from this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Aragh it's not that bad. I have a hurling game at 7pm...I will use those gusts to make the sliotar sail majestically over the bar :)

For one half anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Currently in the city centre and it's not windy at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The wind in Galway at this minute is like one big sustained gust of wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Ah Darwin. The forgotten beast for many.

It's funny. Everyone is Ophelia Ophelia Ophelia but Darwin had stronger gusts at 17 of 23 Met Eireann stations (can't find mean 10 min data for Ophelia to compare there). Ophelia won in out and out strength but in many areas Darwin gave a bigger smacking.

Probably forgotten due to how quick it's peak intensity passed and no deaths recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A bit strange the yellow warning for Mayo/Galway, I cannot remember one that lasted for just two hours, lovely and bright currently and barely a puff of wind in Castlebar, but Eleanor showed us how quickly things can change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

John.Icy wrote: »
    Ah Darwin. The forgotten beast for many.

It's funny. Everyone is Ophelia Ophelia Ophelia but Darwin had stronger gusts at 17 of 23 Met Eireann stations (can't find mean 10 min data for Ophelia to compare there). Ophelia won in out and out strength but in many areas Darwin gave a bigger smacking.

Probably forgotten due to how quick it's peak intensity passed and no deaths recorded.
    Maybe the data will prove me wrong but Ophelia was a complete anti climax in Galway and many Galwegians are complacent about warnings since. I know it hit the south and east hard but it was tame in comparison in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Steviesol

I wonder will this storm impact flights from Dublin early tomorrow morning ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

6pm TAF,Dublin Airport

TAF EIDW 181700Z 1818/1918 22020G30KT 9999 FEW018 BKN025
    PROB40
    TEMPO 1818/1819 5000 SHRA SCT014 SCT018CB
    BECMG 1818/1821 22015G26KT
    BECMG 1821/1824 23020G36KT
    BECMG 1901/1903 19015G26KT
    BECMG 1904/1906 19020G36KT
    TEMPO 1906/1909 RA BKN015
    BECMG 1907/1909 22035G55KT
    BECMG 1909/1910 25035G60KT
    BECMG 1910/1912 25030G50KT
    BECMG 1912/1914 24023G42KT
    BECMG 1915/1917 24020G35KT

Forecast gusts up to 60 knots between 9am-10am. very windy from 7am to around midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Maybe the data will prove me wrong but Ophelia was a complete anti climax in Galway and many Galwegians are complacent about warnings since. I know it hit the south and east hard but it was tame in comparison in Galway.

I believe the eye would have travelled across swathes of Connaught. Darwin was similar in that sense that the west didn't see as high windsas further south and east.

The west gets enough orange level winds every winter regardless of the bigger storms!

Anyway to get back on topic - it'll be interesting to see if Orange level winds transpire in Dublin. It's been awhile since I've had a good orange level storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Shur here in Cork it was relatively balmy and sunny today .. Come tomorrow a little whisp of wind is all if we are lucky :D

Shields up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Just wondering if the more knowledgeable regulars in the forum reckon there's any chance of M.E. going red in the west with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Xenji wrote: »
    A bit strange the yellow warning for Mayo/Galway, I cannot remember one that lasted for just two hours, lovely and bright currently and barely a puff of wind in Castlebar, but Eleanor showed us how quickly things can change.

Very loud strong gusts here all the while. Hours now since about 2pm West Mayo; offshore island. An hour by road to Castlebar so this is very coastal?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just wondering if the more knowledgeable regulars in the forum reckon there's any chance of M.E. going red in the west with this?

"wait and see" time... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Picking up someone landing at 11.40 tomorrow morning in Dublin Airport from Italy. Any chance it could be delayed or diverted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm not one of the more knowledgeable people but I wouldn't say they'll go red unless something unexpected occurs like if a sting jet develops during the storm. If they were going to go red then I'd say they would've issued a red warning when they were updating the orange warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

What's Kerry Airport please?
    6pm TAF,Dublin Airport

TAF EIDW 181700Z 1818/1918 22020G30KT 9999 FEW018 BKN025
    PROB40
    TEMPO 1818/1819 5000 SHRA SCT014 SCT018CB
    BECMG 1818/1821 22015G26KT
    BECMG 1821/1824 23020G36KT
    BECMG 1901/1903 19015G26KT
    BECMG 1904/1906 19020G36KT
    TEMPO 1906/1909 RA BKN015
    BECMG 1907/1909 22035G55KT
    BECMG 1909/1910 25035G60KT
    BECMG 1910/1912 25030G50KT
    BECMG 1912/1914 24023G42KT
    BECMG 1915/1917 24020G35KT

Forecast gusts up to 60 knots between 9am-10am. very windy from 7am to around midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

monster1 wrote: »
    Picking up someone landing at 11.40 tomorrow morning in Dublin Airport from Italy. Any chance it could be delayed or diverted?

I doubt there would be a diversion but I wouldn't rule it out just yet. There's a good chance of a delay though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Graces7 wrote: »
    Very loud strong gusts here all the while. Hours now since about 2pm West Mayo; offshore island. An hour by road to Castlebar so this is very coastal?

Some moderate gusts during the afternoon, but has been bright and calm the last nearly 3 hours, the islands around Mayo are always worse hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Artane2002 wrote: »
    If they were going to go red then I'd say they would've issued a red warning when they were updating the orange warning.

Good point. Not familiar with ECM output times so was wondering if M.E. were waiting to see the latest update.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I doubt there would be a diversion but I wouldn't rule it out just yet. There's a good chance of a delay though.

Thanks, the drive up on the motorway will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

What's Kerry Airport please?

don't have a TAF for Kerry, Shannon forecasting some very high gusts from about 6am to 8am. might be out of limits for the ATR type aircraft that operates into Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Will bins be emptied in an orange warning does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Wind's certainly picked up on the south coast of Galway. Not batten-down-the-hatches time but it's loud enough with all the leafy trees behind the house. Clouds are scudding along good-oh, both the wispy cirrus clouds high up and the lurky mid-height clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Maybe it was just me but that forecast on rte didn't seem very serious. Met office in the UK driving home the fact that there could be damage caused and transport disruption.
    Met eireann more interested in having kids cheering in the background at the plowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And on the flights note, disruptive winds tomorrow morning and early afternoon will be disruptive for all Irish airports. To what extent and the exact timing is unclear, so asking will not yield any more comprehensive information than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And on the flights note, disruptive winds tomorrow morning and early afternoon will be disruptive for all Irish airports. To what extent and the exact timing is unclear, so asking will not yield any more comprehensive information than that.

With flight and sailings the only thing to do is contact the operator

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement