Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House snagging

Options
  • 04-09-2018 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking to get recommendations of someone who is qualified to snag a new build house. Preferably someone who has used this person and has first hand experience of their expertise rather than someone who knows someone that does it. Not sure where to look so appreciate any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 salad_man

Snagging without Electricity on a new build ; what do people think? Developer eager to start the process without electricity i am however a bit hesitant to do so, especially since i am paying for a professional to complete the snag. Obviously want the most thorough and comprehensive review to be done

salad_man wrote: »
    Snagging without Electricity on a new build ; what do people think? Developer eager to start the process without electricity i am however a bit hesitant to do so, especially since i am paying for a professional to complete the snag. Obviously want the most thorough and comprehensive review to be done

Would you be happy checking the plumbing without water?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Galway city

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It can’t be done. It will cost you more because if I snagged with no power, I’d have to go back and snag again, the items that require power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Why exactly do new houses need to be snagged? Surely they should be built right in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

arctictree wrote: »
    Why exactly do new houses need to be snagged? Surely they should be built right in the first place?
    I recently snagged a new build.

report was 98 items, 3 pages long of bullet points in 11 point font. The build was of high quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

report was 98 items, 3 pages long of bullet points in 11 point font. The build was of high quality too.

Doesn't seem high quality if there were 98 things wrong with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

They were all minor things and all bar two or three items were fixed. To expect a house to be built 100% snag free when there’s so many moving parts and contractors used is a pipe dream.

Go look at brand new €1m houses and I bet you there are snags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

We considered doing this (ended up not having to) as there was a delay getting the ESB to hook up the connections into the houses. The only reason we'd considered it is that we'd paid our snagger for 2 visits anyway so he was happy to do the first without and put a note on the list and check during the second snag for the electrical pieces.

Also one thing we did was snag at the same time as the professional snagger and combine the lists. I spotted some random things that he hadn't that would bug me in our house & then was able to include them.

Because small errors happen. Ours were all quite minor in reality but yes we wanted the house to be perfect. There were things like small paint splashes on windows, making sure the draining board actually drained, switches on straight. Builders putting up 100 houses can miss small things but happy enough to fix them once you point them out. Standard process.

It depends on the level of those things. Our list was incredibly detailed and done on a room by room basis so there was some repetition between rooms. House is brilliantly built and there wasn't any concerns with the build quality - the snags were small things on the finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

I wish all the houses I snag only had 98 items! There are usually 250 to 350 items. Yes some are repeated throughout the different rooms but still they have to be repaired. Some tradesmen just couldn't care about the work they produce hoping no one will notice & sure the builder pays a snagger to fix them anyway. I was in a house recently & 4 doors did not close into the lock keep. How does a carpenter hang a door & not check that it works correctly? The state of the finishing in new builds seems to be getting worse every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

What would you be snagging after the electrics turned on

The recs will be doing all the post connection tests

Thomyokk wrote: »
    What would you be snagging after the electrics turned on

The recs will be doing all the post connection tests

Lights
    Switches working properly
    Boiler
    Immersion
    Bathroom fans
    Plug sockets
    Cooker
    Appliances
    Etc
    Etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

kceire wrote: »
    Lights
    Switches working properly
    Boiler
    Immersion
    Bathroom fans
    Plug sockets
    Cooker
    Appliances
    Etc
    Etc

Ok but that's crazy

Any decent rec will be checking all that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ok but that's crazy

the recs wouldn't be working for, paid by, or be looking out for the best interests of the purchaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

tradesman wrote: »
    I wish all the houses I snag only had 98 items! There are usually 250 to 350 items. Yes some are repeated throughout the different rooms but still they have to be repaired. Some tradesmen just couldn't care about the work they produce hoping no one will notice & sure the builder pays a snagger to fix them anyway. I was in a house recently & 4 doors did not close into the lock keep. How does a carpenter hang a door & not check that it works correctly? The state of the finishing in new builds seems to be getting worse every year

The doors were hung by a pretend carpenter.
    I recently measured for two stairs in a house, one landing was 38mm , the other 25mm off level, the "foreman" is supposedly a carpenter, all his tools were brand new, the building company is owned by an architect, what hope has the client got.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

The doors were hung by a pretend carpenter.
    I recently measured for two stairs in a house, one landing was 38mm , the other 25mm off level, the "foreman" is supposedly a carpenter, all his tools were brand new, the building company is owned by an architect, what hope has the client got.

Exactly! I think everyone is in the pretend building business these days. A few years ago I snagged an architect designed & architect built block of apartments & he had an overflow pipe from the storage tank exiting into the bath! He said planning did not allow any pipes on the outside of the building & he said that was the best place for it. Took me 10mins to get up from the floor with laughter when I first saw it & the excuse he gave. Then I enlightened him on the use of a tundish! Needless to say we had many run ins on that apartment & he eventually done everything I looked for. He was a qualified architect! what hope has the ordinary buyer got. Thats why a good snagger is so important

Ok but that's crazy

But the REC was employed by the builder to carry out works to a particular specification.
    The REC would have checked this before hand over to the builder, but as a buyer, you need to check for yourself ie. Snag.

I assume you've never bought in Ireland before?, this is the norm and I would strongly suggest future purchasers keep up the trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Do snaggers check the ventilation in an apartment to ensure that there won't be problems with damp in the future? My understanding is that all buildings now have to at least an A3 BER rating and that means that they are very energy efficient and therefore quite sealed off from the out air.

With this in mind, I see that some new builds have ventilation and heat recovery systems in place. However, many don't so would it be up to the snagger to call out any potential future ventilation issues or would you need to find someone else to check that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Do snaggers check the ventilation in an apartment to ensure that there won't be problems with damp in the future? My understanding is that all buildings now have to at least an A3 BER rating and that means that they are very energy efficient and therefore quite sealed off from the out air.

With this in mind, I see that some new builds have ventilation and heat recovery systems in place. However, many don't so would it be up to the snagger to call out any potential future ventilation issues or would you need to find someone else to check that?

It's a part L requirement that all buildings have to be adequately ventilated whether that's through passive vents or heat recovery systems is up to the builder.

• Advertisement

Not sealed from the outside. Air Tightness is the reduction of uncontrolled air loss through the fabric of the building. You will still have the background or permanent ventilation holes which are separate and actually covered up during the air tightness test procedure.

A good snagger with up to date building experience will ensure there is some form of permanent ventilation in the required rooms, but as for damp checking, that's something that is beyond his/her control. That will come down to the design of the building and the workmanship of the builders.
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    It's a part L requirement that all buildings have to be adequately ventilated whether that's through passive vents or heat recovery systems is up to the builder.

Ventilation is actually a Part F requirement and it separate to any air tightness, or air change calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

My architect snagged about 60 items on my 45sqm new (more or less) build. A lot of minor stuff like cleaning, touch-ups, missing keys etc. I was really happy with the builder's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fido_dido

Do snaggers check if the floor is uneven?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

You can ask them to if you have any concerns with it. Uneven should be quite clear to see with naked eye and they can also check if it's level (within building tolerances).

Advertisement