Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I think we need a full slap with these two storms to give us reference points for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Latest windspeed forecast from DMI.DK

184168.gif

184169.PNG
    I have been looking at this particular model since 2008 and this is the first time I have seen the highest echelons of the legend actually being projected so close to Ireland.

yeah. it would be scary living on the outer hebrides if those are realised. meanwhile on one site i'm looking at it's showing gusts of 65- 70 mph early Tuesday morning for Tuam;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its coming up to 5 to Midnight so lets head over to Met Eireann on Radio 1/Sky 0160.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

For Donegal, maybe..

Dont know what rock you have been living under but the weather has been very aggressive around these parts in the past few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

am currently in east galway athenry/loughrea area,temp around 5 deg, slight breeze,no frost,and definitley no gales/storm yet..................:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Dont know what rock you have been living under but the weather has been very aggressive around these parts in the past few weeks :)

And did I not acknowledge that Mr. Pangea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GFS overcooks minimum pressures over 48 hours out. Twill just as likely be a breeze next week.

UKMO warning thursday and friday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

And did I not acknowledge that Mr. Pangea?

You did of course, what I meant was surely you must of had some of this interesting weather? ;)

P.S
    Plenty more lightning strikes around here tonight :P
    L9Wd2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Pangea wrote: »
    P.S
    Plenty more lightning strikes around here tonight :P
    L9Wd2.gif

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

NOAA forecasting this monster's centre to head straight for Scotlands tip then track due east

00.00 Thursday Morning

6468681479_e118c5c340.jpg

and at 12 pm thursday :eek::eek:

6468681625_520001d566.jpg

• Advertisement

Whats the lightening link again. Nearly sure we just had a flash here.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Whats the lightening link again. Nearly sure we just had a flash here.

Two of the handiest:

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar
    http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/index.html?

Quite a few strikes showing up in the NW over the last hour or so.

And we did have lightening. Most excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z GFS ensembles for central Ireland, I've circled Thursday's storm and the potential storm for early next week.

2s6lhki.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

and wave height in metres for noon thursday

10m ......anyone going surfing? :rolleyes:

6468787409_f08c965b0b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Some day we will have snow in the south east lol

High tide round 4pm here Thursday ! Yikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

only one wrote: »
    Some day we will have snow in the south east lol

We did for a couple of days late last November if you remember. The joys of living in the sunny SE :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Took a snap of Evelyn showing Thursdays storm for those who think that ME have not covered it.
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

some very loud thunder in castlebar lights nearly went very very windy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Interesting that they only have the low at 977mb whereas some of the models have it close to 955mb, I know it deepens quickly but looking at it in a similar position on the 18Z gfs its already around 960mb

Assume they're using the HIRLAM which seems to be underplaying the storm compared to the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Hey all,on the mobile.Loud thunder and severe gusts in Castlebar now.

Harps wrote: »
    I know it deepens quickly but looking at it in a similar position on the 18Z gfs its already around 960mb

Assume they're using the HIRLAM which seems to be underplaying the storm compared to the rest

the gfs has a tendency to over egg the pressure level only to downgrade a day or so before hand, that said there does seem to be good cross model on agreement on this being a severe event for Scotland

Harps wrote: »
    Interesting that they only have the low at 977mb whereas some of the models have it close to 955mb, I know it deepens quickly but looking at it in a similar position on the 18Z gfs its already around 960mb

Check out those isobars on the 18Z NAE run.

29pqefs.jpg

Some serious winds on the way for western Scotland there!

Looking forward to getting the first proper look at this on the NMM model on the 0Z run.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

damn imagine if it was cold enough to snow when the strom arrives

Mean windspeed at Malin Head on 44kts, or severe gale force 9 on 1am reports:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

gusting 54kts (BF Storm 10)

Other reports (mean/gust)

Mace Head: 37 / 50
    Finner Camp: 33 / 53
    Belmullet: 28 / 54
    Sherkin Island: 29 / 43

damn imagine if it was cold enough to snow when the strom arrives

It will be in parts of Scotland. There could be blizzards with gusts of 90-110 mph around a 150 metres above sea level there.

w1323356400.gif

The winds peaks in the west and Northwest at around 3pm on Thursday according to this chart.

redsunset wrote: »
    Took a snap of Evelyn showing Thursdays storm for those who think that ME have not covered it.
    ]

Just so you know, that refers to the force of the wind, not the actual 'storm'.
    You can see Gale Force on the screenshot too.
    It had the same for tonight as you can see from below. She did warn about structural damage for Thursday event though so as you said we have been warned
    HFEt9l.jpg

• Advertisement

UKMO warnings from earlier today for wind and snow for Thursday. These will be replaced with probably stronger and more refined warnings tomorrow.

9bjdd2.jpg
    Winds will increase during Thursday afternoon and evening. The public should be aware that winds are likely to becoming strong enough to cause some local disruption to travel services, and possibly some structural damage to buildings. On Friday morning winds will tend to ease from the west.

Presently Northern Scotland looks likely to experience the strongest winds.

Heavy rain and hill snow are additional hazards that will accompany the strengthening winds. There is also a low risk of coastal flooding on North Sea coasts during Friday.
    Snow showers are expected late on Thursday and through Friday. The public should be aware that these will be heavy at times, and may give significant accumulations that could disrupt travel. Gale or severe gale force northwesterly winds will accompany the snow showers, perhaps leading to drifting over high ground, but these winds will slowly moderate during Friday.

Advertisement