Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harnessing Galway's clouds to create jobs!!

• 28-11-2011 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

Reported in the Galway media this week. One Councillor gets all confused about cloud computing.

Deep - are all your local Councillors this clever?

Clouds of confusion as Galway councillor tells another to 'go f*** himself"

A GALWAY councillor has refused to apologise for swearing at a County Council committee meeting after he told a fellow councillor to "go **** himself"
    Local area councillor Seamus Tiernan made the amazing outburst after he was told he was a "feckin eejit" for thinking that cloud computing was only suitable in areas with lots of rain.
    He had told the Infrastructure Committee meeting this week that his native Connemara would be ideal for cloud computing because it has heavy cloud cover for nine months of the year."
    The Independent councillor said that the Government should be doing more to harness clean industries for the Connemara area and he named wind energy and cloud computing as two obvious examples.
    "Connemara in particular could become a centre of excellence for wind energy harnessing, as it is open to the Atlantic. Also in terms of cloud computing, we have dense thick fog for nine months of the year, because of the mountain heights and the ability to harness this cloud power, there is tremendous scope for cloud computing to become a major employer in this region."
    However his mistake was pointed out by an incredulous Cllr Martin Shiels who said that "this is taking the biscuit. I've heard it all now. You must be a fekking eejit to think that the cloud computing had anything to do with climate."
    Cllr Tiernan took umbrage at the remarks of his colleague and called for them to be withdrawn. When Cllr Shields refused to do so, Tiernan said "go **** yourself, Cllr Shields."
    Chairman Sile Ni Baoill asked for both councillors to withdraw their comments, but Cllr Tiernan was repentant that Cllr Shields was wrong and that cloud comouting is linked to cloud cover.
    "Tell me why large companies are opening server farms in cold wet countries then, he asked Cllr Shields.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

I really wanted this to be true, but turns out it's a hoax I'm afraid.

"Unfortunately, to my (kind-of) disappointment, I had difficulty finding the original article. The piece had appeared on a number of discussion boards (such as here, here, and here), but not in any actual news outlet, at least online. Fair enough, I thought, maybe the piece was published only in hard copy, although I did think it strange that no original source was identified on any of the posts. So then I went looking for details about the various councillors, including Martin Shiels, Sile Ni Baoill, and the now infamous Seamus Tiernan. And I discovered there were no councillors of those names serving in Galway, nor in any other council in Ireland.

In other words, the entire story was a hoax. Funny, yes, and maybe even thought-provoking. But a hoax nonetheless."

http://thesciencebit.net/2011/11/25/lets-all-laugh-at-this-guy-and-his-ignorance/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

oh
    :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That's still hilarious and believable though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

I should change my username to Buzz Killington, sorry folks :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Surely you mean, Galway West Electoral Area Green Councillor Killington? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lecturer told us this at college earlier, gave everyone a good laugh. Shame it a hoax but to be honest it really wouldn't have surprised me if it was true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Deep - are all your local Councillors this clever?

Clouds of confusion as Galway councillor tells another to 'go f*** himself"

That, and less!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

Ah boo that it's a hoax. BOOOO. Still, made me laugh out loud this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

That kind of discussion wouldn't shock me one bit from our councillors down here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sean Seacht

Hard luck to the Telegraph - there are in fact no 'pigs in the parlour' in ireland

News
    OUTRAGE AT UK'S 'THE TELEGRAPH' OVER FAKE STORY RIDICULING CONNEMARA
    November 29, 2011 - 6:11pm

OUTRAGE AT UK'S 'THE TELEGRAPH' OVER FAKE STORY RIDICULING CONNEMARA
    A Connemara Councillor is seeking a full public apology from the UK's The Telegraph Newspaper after it published a fake story on its website which ridiculed Galway
    The respected English broadsheet this week published the article 'Councillor thought cloud computing depended on rainy weather'

The article describes how a Councillor Seamus Tiernan told an infrastructure meeting that his native Connemara would be ideal for cloud computing because it has heavy cloud for nine months of the year

It goes on to say that the meeting descended into a foul-mouthed slanging match with another Galway councillor Martin Shiels branding the other a 'feckin eejit'

The article is wrong in that in the Connemara electoral area, there are no elected councillors of these names and no infrastucture committee exists

The article was published on the technology section of the Telegraph website, which gets thousands of hits

It was also tweeted by the TelegraphTech which has 15 thousand followers
    Galway Bay fm news contacted the Telegraph by email, tweet and phone and was told they were very busy and could not deal with this issue at present

There was also no explanation as to how such a fabricated piece made it onto the website
    The article was taken down after Galway Bay fm news contacted The Telegraph
    Connemara Councillor Thomas Welby says the Telegraph has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement

I have to say although I wouldn't put it past some of our councillors to make these kind of comments and engage in slagging matches, it is outrageous the paper made up such a story from scratch.
    It's one thing picking on a true story, but making up material to publish is a total different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Rougies wrote: »
    I really wanted this to be true, but turns out it's a hoax I'm afraid.

Nobody should want it to be true no matter how amusing it may seem. The damage is done now anyway as this story has been circulated around the globe. I see the Telegraph have removed it. They really should have checked the veracity of it before publishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Did none of you find this extremely offensive that they would take the proverbial out of Irish people in this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Proxy wrote: »
    Did none of you find this extremely offensive that they would take the proverbial out of Irish people in this way?

I think Irish people were the ones circulating it, to be honest. It's not exactly an impossibly unlikely situation, and we're strongly given to slagging one another anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

gothwalk wrote: »
    I think Irish people were the ones circulating it, to be honest. It's not exactly an impossibly unlikely situation, and we're strongly given to slagging one another anyway.

Yes but we don't like to be slagged off by others!

I would agree with Proxy & I don't think this was good for our image, but being carried by the Telegraph was poor form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's a stupid name and is the most confusing of them all ~ it also totally fecks up searches.

Remote Server computing is what it is.

You're right Gbee, it is a confusing name, and strange that they should have thought that up, people of all ages nowadays are well able to learn a new specific term for something they are likely to use a lot, there was no need for the confusing imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Cloud computing is nothing more than a stupid marketing buzzword for distributed computing. I have a textbook on distributed systems which is about 10 years old and not one mention of the word cloud in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

gothwalk wrote: »

Yeah but trust the f***ing Telegraph to jump on a story about some thick Paddies! Nice to see the egg all over their fat Tory faces for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I should scrap my cloud farm plans so ..... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://www.herald.ie/news/feckin-eejit-cloud-row-just-an-elaborate-hoax-2951161.html

now real galway county councillor is looking for apology from the telegraph Thomas Welby JNR http://www.thomaswelby.com/

hmm

Advertisement