Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2011

Options
  • 23-07-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Autumn is just around the corner. What are your predictions for the forthcoming Autumn Period. Mine are above average rain and average temperatures with a few decent storms. I think that late november this year will be a repeat of last year:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I don't have any predictions, but here are is my hope:

Mostly warm and very dry mixed with a couple of proper windstorms swinging up from the south. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I don't have any predictions, but here are is my hope:

Mostly warm and very dry mixed with a couple of proper windstorms swinging up from the south. :)

Sounds good to me. Love Autumn,favourite season of the year. Early autumn sunshine(sometimes!) giving way to clear,crisp air with the odd storm event. Bliss.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

It's hard to believe that we are talking about autumn coming already... winter is always up for discussion on this forum, but autumn is a different matter :D

It really doesn't seem that long since the trees finally made it into bloom, etc with the frosts so late into the year, some had a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Autumn will mock us by providing the type of synoptic set-ups we wanted during the summer ie. HP anchored over or just to the south of the country:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heard it mentioned a few times that October is predicted to be cold with temperatures below average. Think it was Nacho that mentioned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I'm afraid I have nothing constructive to add to this thread but I love your username Blizzard! Hoping to see some this winter!

I like Autumn, I love the cooler days and blowing leaves. I do love our changing seasons, there's so much variety even in our mild climate.
    But my favourite is Winter. I always see the old mythological image of Father Winter (or whatever he's called) in my head when I think of it.
    Sorry I am blabbing and going off the point.

Autumn rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I have just noticed a lot of folage turning colour. My blackberry bush which fruits late august early September have started to fruit already. Someone told me that it was due to warm spring but we had a warm spring and cool summer in 2007 and the blackberry bush didnt fruit till early september. Maybe Nature thinks we have gone into Autumn mode already.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Pangea wrote: »
    Heard it mentioned a few times that October is predicted to be cold with temperatures below average. Think it was Nacho that mentioned it.

It was cold last October too, I remember saying to the missus that we were in for a long cold winter.....and I think we're in for the same this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

somebody was being interviewed Monday on RTE for Six/One and the young tree in the background outside the building and beside the path up to the building had its leave's already turning! I hope to spend the month of October in North Galway...walking lanes and boreens just admiring the colors. (wish I could remember who was being interviewed or the story...that tree was already way into autumn.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Probably the summer school in Glenties? Most leaves up here have been brown all summer after the storms in May

• Advertisement

picked my first Blacberries today. 1 month ahead. Just back from the West of Ireland. Was driving around sligo and all the way back to Dublin folage has either or changed. Stragely some of my fruit trees didnt produce fruit this year after flowering in May/June:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

I love Autumn and Winter. I hope it comes early and stays for a long time with lots and lots of snow :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

picked my first Blacberries today. 1 month ahead. Just back from the West of Ireland. Was driving around sligo and all the way back to Dublin folage has either or changed. Stragely some of my fruit trees didnt produce fruit this year after flowering in May/June:confused:

wind blew the flowers off

as said before we've had brown leavesup here since the storm in may

wind blew the flowers off

as said before we've had brown leavesup here since the storm in may

Not mine! Grape Vine Produced Flowers but didnt fruit.:( Some Weather sites are predicting cold autumn and early winter:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

we've had brown leavesup here since the storm in may
    Same in Galway, specially Sycamore which has looked autumnal all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Big Tone wrote: »
    It was cold last October too, I remember saying to the missus that we were in for a long cold winter.....and I think we're in for the same this year.

I remember October very well last year (a busy month for me personally with a lot of travelling by road and air) as we had a family funeral and the weather was very good with a lot of sunshine, especially around the 20th of the month. It wasn't particularly cold.....that came in November.
    Those who predicted a scorcher of a summer may have also predicted a repeat of last winter???? I hope they get that wrong too!!!!

My Grapes have ripened and are ready to pick. First of the Autumn Season:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The Netweather long-range Autumn forecast is out - current unsettled trend to continue

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Fionagus wrote: »
    The Netweather long-range Autumn forecast is out - current unsettled trend to continue

Doesn't look like November will be a repeat of last year then!!!

Doesn't look like November will be a repeat of last year then!!!

'November

We're getting some way ahead at this point of the forecast, so forecast does drop away some way...'

There's always hope! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

'November

We're getting some way ahead at this point of the forecast, so forecast does drop away some way...'

There's always hope! :D

January will be where it's at this winter, more chance of breaking -20 then . . .:P

January will be where it's at this winter, more chance of breaking -20 then . . .:P

Still sticking with your earlier prediction!! Much better!!! :D:p:D
    IF June and July are cool with slightly below average rainfall and sunshine and August starts dull and broken then there will be blizzards of epic proportions for 3 months of winter . . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Hope it's a cool autumn, for some reason i can't abide when it's warm during autumn

They also predicted a warm summer which never happened.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What was that net weather long range forecast saying this time last year about November? The same thing hopefully cos that would mean that it's wrong! :-D

They also predicted a warm summer which never happened.:D

To be honest, all of these long range forecasts should be treated as a bit of fun and nothing more.
    Its just not possible to predict the weather three months in advance with any degree of accuracy - and none of the LRF's predicted a cooler than normal summer.

There's an evaluation of all of the major players here though I don't think its been updated for July yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

I am considering this Autumn and I think it could be warm and dry.

Mad I know but the Highs have flukily dodged us all Summer and I think when the Summer ends that everyone will get their fair share again not just the Azores hogging it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pauldry wrote: »
    I am considering this Autumn and I think it could be warm and dry.

Mad I know but the Highs have flukily dodged us all Summer and I think when the Summer ends that everyone will get their fair share again not just the Azores hogging it.:)

Too little, too late IMO - though you could be right given the propensity of Indian summer like conditions to kick in after a poor summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

The hurricane season seems very sluggish so far too, with only weak tropical storms. That might mean we wont get as many tail end hurricanes, which could mean a more settled september?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

lateaughigh.png

Wouldn't mind this coming true just as we approach the Autumn then building :D Fat chance probably though.

Advertisement