Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Irish Weather Online' website

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It's a great site, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

Great stuff wolfe, excellent site.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Followed it on Twitter a few days ago. Sent my first tweet ever, about it!

Nice site and good luck with it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Love the site. There's eating and drinking in it. :D

Very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Hi all,

Made sure boards.ie weather forum got a mention in Irish Times today

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/1211/1224285283646.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Just had a look at the site. Accessible info & cograts on getting it up & running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have set up a weather website called Irish Weather Online - www.irishweatheronline.com

I got bored so decided to do a 3-hr crash course on html and css coding. :o

Wolfe

You built a website that good-looking with only 3 hours study?! :eek:

I am impressed. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Great site, well done.

Anyone know why I can't access it on my mobile -am using Vodafone Live APN, and they seem to be blocking it :mad:. Not a huge problem for me as, I can access it using the isp.vodafone.ie APN, but sent the link to my Dad who can't access it on his Samsung Galaxy S, and I really don't want to have to go through editing APNs on his phone with him :rolleyes:

I'll ask the vodafone reps on the Talk to forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Zagato wrote: »
    Great site, well done.

Anyone know why I can't access it on my mobile -am using Vodafone Live APN, and they seem to be blocking it :mad:. Not a huge problem for me as, I can access it using the isp.vodafone.ie APN, but sent the link to my Dad who can't access it on his Samsung Galaxy S, and I really don't want to have to go through editing APNs on his phone with him :rolleyes:

I'll ask the vodafone reps on the Talk to forum

Having the same problem too. Not sure what the cause is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Loving the tweets, keep up the great work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Been following yours and MT's posts for a couple of years,great site and might I say you make a great team.Lots of luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

wolfire are you peter odonnell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

bb1234567 wrote: »
    wolfire are you peter odonnell?

Peter O'Donnell is MT Cranium

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kajor

Has something happened to Irish Weather Online? There are no up to date forecasts (unless i'm suddenly using it incorrectly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Kajor wrote: »
    Has something happened to Irish Weather Online? There are no up to date forecasts (unless i'm suddenly using it incorrectly)

Theres quite a bit of info on that on this thread.

edit: meant to link the thread! sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kajor

Sorry, about that. I just searched for it and this thread came up. I've since read the thread and this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056445469 thread. Up to speed now, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I've since read the thread and this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056445469 thread. Up to speed now, thanks. :)

That thread in the link is closed.

Is there a time frame where we can expect to be told if IWO is coming back online or..?

Apart from the active boards members that were directly involved in IWO, there were also a lot of people who gave their time to the website in the guise of photographs and videos and input into the forums which helped promote the website and which people gave permission to IWO to use, without that input from others other than active boards members the site might not have flourished as it did. So there were many more involved in the sight other than via a financial input.

I think it only fair game for Mark from IWO to issue those contributors with an e-mail to explain the situtation. I know he has a PR company so that shouldn't be too difficult. Fair balls to him if he has sold it on and made money, thumbs up and best of luck to him, but it be good to let those fringe contributors know the scenario.

That's all folks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

vicwatson wrote: »
    That thread in the link is closed.

Is there a time frame where we can expect to be told if IWO is coming back online or..?

Apart from the active boards members that were directly involved in IWO, there were also a lot of people who gave their time to the website in the guise of photographs and videos and input into the forums which helped promote the website and which people gave permission to IWO to use, without that input from others other than active boards members the site might not have flourished as it did. So there were many more involved in the sight other than via a financial input.

I think it only fair game for Mark from IWO to issue those contributors with an e-mail to explain the situtation. I know he has a PR company so that shouldn't be too difficult. Fair balls to him if he has sold it on and made money, thumbs up and best of luck to him, but it be good to let those fringe contributors know the scenario.

That's all folks.:)

I totally agree. I emailed photos on a regular basis and I thought Mark had just gone away. I'm a bit miffed to read that thread now. An email to contributors would have been nice. It has put me off emailing in any more photos.

I'm a bit miffed to read that thread now.

Yes, it's a pity it has been locked.

All very top secret ! Perhaps boards.ie bought it !:rolleyes:

Site Down at moment

Is it gone?:confused: Real pity

• Advertisement

Perhaps the owner of the website can advise what happens to all the pictures and videos that were sent in to the site for the specific use of IWO? If the site is sold I assume that those pictures remain the copyright of the original owner?

The site was successful, in large part, to the loyal following of visitors and contributors to the site.

I think they at least deserve an explanation WolfeIRE, you ?? At the least you should e-mail those registered and advise them put the matter to rest here on boards.ie

:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Perhaps the owner of the website can advise what happens to all the pictures and videos that were sent in to the site for the specific use of IWO? If the site is sold I assume that those pictures remain the copyright of the original owner?

The site was successful, in large part, to the loyal following of visitors and contributors to the site.

I think they at least deserve an explanation WolfeIRE, you ?? At the least you should e-mail those registered and advise them put the matter to rest here on boards.ie

:confused:

Email or PM Mark directly , there is nothing to be gained constantly posting in here.

Im sure there are reasons for whats happened, I always thought it must of been a massive strain on the owner as it wasnt a profit organization and he basically was on it 24/7 , does not leave to much time to lead your life/work/family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Email or PM Mark directly , there is nothing to be gained constantly posting in here.

Im sure there are reasons for whats happened, I always thought it must of been a massive strain on the owner as it wasnt a profit organization and he basically was on it 24/7 , does not leave to much time to lead your life/work/family

Not asking the question again as I really dont care at this stage but if it was a massive strain (which would be totally understandable with the volume of work)wouldn't it be a simple thing to just post a quick note here or somewhere saying , sorry guys personal issues but cant continue , people would understand or else just says it is / isnt coming back details later... but this complete blanking of all posts is ridiculous and only adding to peoples curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I sort of think that this discussion here should be dropped. The guys involved have said what they have said. Given how good they have been (with time, knowledge etc.) both there and here, I'm sure they're not refraining from issuing some sort of statement just to annoy their user base. If they can and want to, they will, otherwise they won't. Trying to pull some sort of public statement out of them when it's clear that they're not happy talking about it isn't fair. It's not like we're shareholders and have a 'right' to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

"I wish there was a quality Italian restaurant in this part of town." ... example of an economic opportunity.

"If they open one, I hope the meals are free." ... end of said economic opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Really ? tell us more.

I don't wish to dwell on it, as it's none of my business (apart from being interested in the site and having my weather station listed on it). But, from another thread on this very topic:
    The people who have put time and effort into the site have been let know what is happening. For everyone else, there are reasons why these details must remain confidential.
    That, for me, tells me that it's none of my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Since one user has kindly followed a request remove his offensive post, I have removed the other posts quoting this post too.

I am closing this thread as the subject has been done to death. Another moderator (so not I) recently closed the other thread on the same subject, requesting that people not bring it up again. If you have queries regarding IWO, please contact them directly. Any more threads opened on this subject will be deleted. This goes for any duplicate thread on any subject, as you will see by my constant deletion of duplicate winter/snow threads that pop up on an almost daily basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement