Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kitchen extension cost?

Options
  • 01-06-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place but was wondering if anyone had any advice on this.

My husband and I are hoping to buy a house which is in good condition but requires a little bit of work to turn it into the house we want. One of the main things we want to do is to make the kitchen bigger and bring the bathroom (currently downstairs beside the kitchen) upstairs to the smallest bedroom.

I'm pretty sure the wall between the kitchen and bathroom isn't load bearing and we'd be looking to take out the bathroom and make that room all one kitchen / diner, then move the bathroom upstairs. When finished, the kitchen would be about 4m approx wide x 3m approx deep.

Has anyone done something similar before and therefore could give me an idea of costs? Appreciate there are a number of factors involved that could affect the cost but even a rough estimate for the wall knocking and bathroom removal bit would be helpful!

Also, someone told me we might need planning permission to bring the bathroom upstairs. Is this true?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i looked into to doing this with my house about 7 years ago but at the time, the cost of doing work (25k) -v- the resale value of going from a 3 bed to a 2 bed house (90k)

it wasnt worth it at the time but now sure it doesnt matter and the building costs have come down so much it should be a lot cheaper.

my plan for the future is knock down the kitchen (single story extension) and build a double story extension but sure we will see if i ever get around to it :rolleyes:

Advertisement