Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying an Irish Property from South Africa

Options
  • 11-11-2019 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We are sale agreed end September. Our problem is we live in South Africa so are not used to the way sales are conducted in Ireland and it's a huge move to organise.
    I'm used to African time but this is ridiculous, the EA hasn't responded to my basic questions about things like make of oil range, I have no clue how that even works.
    I can't believe we have heard nothing from anyone and now I'm getting cold feet about the whole move.
    Can we pull out of the deal if we haven't heard what's going on and look else where? We paid deposit the same day it went sale agreed.
    Please tell me what MPRN and GPRN is and what do I need to organise if it suddenly goes to contract.
    Who organises a snagging list, again something I've never heard about.
    Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Sueffun wrote: »
    We are sale agreed end September. Our problem is we live in South Africa so are not used to the way sales are conducted in Ireland and it's a huge move to organise.
    I'm used to African time but this is ridiculous, the EA hasn't responded to my basic questions about things like make of oil range, I have no clue how that even works.
    I can't believe we have heard nothing from anyone and now I'm getting cold feet about the whole move.
    Can we pull out of the deal if we haven't heard what's going on and look else where? We paid deposit the same day it went sale agreed.
    Please tell me what MPRN and GPRN is and what do I need to organise if it suddenly goes to contract.

Are you buying new or 2nd hand? Snagging is only for new properties.
    For 2nd hand, its typical that buyers would engage a surveyor to visually inspect he property for any issues. This is at your cost so that you can buy with your eyes reasonably open. If it uncovers a major issue (like need for a new roof for example) you may choose to try to renegotiate or walk away.

If you havent signed contracts, you can always get your deposit back for any reason.
    Slow and painful is the norm for property transactions in Ireland (read this thread) so don't pull out of this sale expecting it to be different on another property.

MPRN and GPRN are the codes for electricity and gas meters. Not relevant to you yet if you're nowhere near closing. Typically the vendor will take a reading from both meters on the day of closing and give you the codes so you can then easily contact your preferred utility provider and switch the bills into your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Get a solicitor.
    Take their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sueffun

Get a solicitor.
    Take their advice.

Thank you all for replying
    We do have a solicitor and the EA was going to organize a surveyor with them.
    It's difficult knowing what needs to be done.

Should it be my solicitor that organises the surveyor them and not the EA.

Sorry if I sound rather daft, it's different here in S.A. You see a house, you sign on the day and that's completely binding so no waiting or buyer pulling out or being gazumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sueffun

SozBbz wrote: »
    Are you buying new or 2nd hand? Snagging is only for new properties.
    For 2nd hand, its typical that buyers would engage a surveyor to visually inspect he property for any issues. This is at your cost so that you can buy with your eyes reasonably open. If it uncovers a major issue (like need for a new roof for example) you may choose to try to renegotiate or walk away.

If you havent signed contracts, you can always get your deposit back for any reason.
    Slow and painful is the norm for property transactions in Ireland (read this thread) so don't pull out of this sale expecting it to be different on another property.

MPRN and GPRN are the codes for electricity and gas meters. Not relevant to you yet if you're nowhere near closing. Typically the vendor will take a reading from both meters on the day of closing and give you the codes so you can then easily contact your preferred utility provider and switch the bills into your name.

Thank you for replying. It's a second hand house, older couple who built it and lived there for 30+ years. It's immaculate inside and out and bigger than my house in S.A so I'm not keen on losing it, the timing is a bit soon for us though as I'll now have to come over on my own for at least 8 months if it goes through quickly.
    I was wondering if they had changed their minds as it was her pride and joy.
    I'm not in a hurry as the plan was to come over end 2020 not right now, so I'm very happy to wait.
    So I think I will just wait until they contact me.
    I'm sure I will hear either way, maybe they can't find another house, I'm loathe to phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thank you for replying. It's a second hand house, older couple who built it and lived there for 30+ years. It's immaculate inside and out and bigger than my house in S.A so I'm not keen on losing it, the timing is a bit soon for us though as I'll now have to come over on my own for at least 8 months if it goes through quickly.
    I was wondering if they had changed their minds as it was her pride and joy.
    I'm not in a hurry as the plan was to come over end 2020 not right now, so I'm very happy to wait.
    So I think I will just wait until they contact me.
    I'm sure I will hear either way, maybe they can't find another house, I'm loathe to phone.
    Were you thinking it would take a year to buy a second hand house?

When you mentioned timing I assumed you ment it was taking longer than planned and you organizational needs around moving were being impacted, but this reads the opposite - that it is happening too quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My husband is from South Africa, the property market is very different there. All my in-laws can't understand why we live in such a small house we paid so much money for!!

If you have gone sale agreed both parties can walk away until contracts are signed. In my opinion, this is a good thing and allows you to do due diligence on the house etc. The next step is to get a surveyor to view the property. Did you say the estate agent is doing this? Personally, I would want to engage this person myself to make sure of complete impartiality. It is easy to do over email and the report is emailed too. If you want a recommendation I'm sure people here would be happy to pm you or to tell you how to go about finding one. Usually the buyer arranges the survey and liaises with the EA as to when they can access the property to complete it.

Once this is done the seller's solicitor will issue contracts and then there may be a back and forth between solicitors if there any issues. Once the contract is finalised both parties sign and then closing is usually a couple of weeks later.

Are you finding your solicitor responsive as really they should be explaining everything to you - the process etc. You need to ask them for updates as to where you are in the process. If you are not in a rush as you are not moving over until next year then I would just go with it and let it play out. It is probably worth asking your solicitor what the latest is, although if you haven't had a survey yet it sounds like that is why nothing is happening.

Thank you all for replying
    We do have a solicitor and the EA was going to organize a surveyor with them.
    It's difficult knowing what needs to be done.

Should it be my solicitor that organises the surveyor them and not the EA.

No... you should organise the surveyor yourself (I don't see why a solicitor would want to get involved in this)
    The EA will then arrange to allow the surveyor that you've engaged access to the property in order to carry out the survey. It will probably cost €350-500 for most houses but quotes will depend on size etc. No EA is going to chase you to do this, you have to request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No... you should organise the surveyor yourself (I don't see why a solicitor would want to get involved in this)
    The EA will then arrange to allow the surveyor that you've engaged access to the property in order to carry out the survey. It will probably cost €350-500 for most houses but quotes will depend on size etc. No EA is going to chase you to do this, you have to request it.
    You can organise the Survey and surveyor but as far as I am aware the solicitor has to be aware of the surveyors report for what should be fairly obvious reasons (primarily if there are potential planning/boundary issues, major structural issues, rights of way etc etc).

kippy wrote: »
    You can organise the Survey and surveyor but as far as I am aware the solicitor has to be aware of the surveyors report for what should be fairly obvious reasons (primarily if there are potential planning/boundary issues, major structural issues, rights of way etc etc).

Its good practice but but not required, unless any mortgage lender stipulates same. Given that this person is buying from South Africa, I can't imagine theres a mortgage lender involved.

You don't have to get a survey at all if you don't want to. Not to say that you shouldnt, but its not actually part of the process.

Anyway, thats aside from the point, because this poster expected their solicitor to orgnaise their survey which I cannot see any solicitor in their right mind agreeing to. All professional services providers should be independently sourced by the buyer. Were the solicitor to recommend someone let alone actually engage their services on this posters behalf, they're leaving themselves wide open if the surveyor then missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its good practice but but not required, unless any mortgage lender stipulates same. Given that this person is buying from South Africa, I can't imagine theres a mortgage lender involved.

You don't have to get a survey at all if you don't want to. Not to say that you shouldnt, but its not actually part of the process.

Anyway, thats aside from the point, because this poster expected their solicitor to orgnaise their survey which I cannot see any solicitor in their right mind agreeing to. All professional services providers should be independently sourced by the buyer. Were the solicitor to recommend someone let alone actually engage their services on this posters behalf, they're leaving themselves wide open if the surveyor then missed something.

Yep, all fair enough points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread Split

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Your probably aware already but worth mentioning that property sales in Ireland are on the basis of "buyer beware"

Here's a link explaining it; http://brophysolicitors.ie/purchasing-a-second-hand-property/

Advertisement