Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying house in rural area, is it cruel on childen

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I would completely disagree with all of that as someone who grew up in a rural one off house, I wouldn’t change it for anything and would have hated growing up in an estate or city.

And yet, when you're out drinking you're quite happy to impose yourself on someone's couch who lives in a city. Or you were thinking off sleeping of the drink in the back of a van - in the city of course. Or you need to get a taxi back who you then accuse of charging you too much.

Seems to me you've quite the attachment to urban areas when it suits your drinking time. Why not do your drinking in the rural location as well if it's all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It depends on a lot of factors if your children are going to get involved in activities locally mix locally make friends go to the local school support local teams its completely different than just moving to the country and living an isolated life.

If was somewhere where they could never use the road unsupervised for cycling or walking as they got older I woulldnt think it was good for children.

http://hoganstand.com/article/index/303618

The above: The often interconnectedness of rural, life some people love that but al lot hate it as well and that is something to take into account.

salonfire wrote: »
    And yet, when you're out drinking you're quite happy to impose yourself on someone's couch who lives in a city. Or you were thinking off sleeping of the drink in the back of a van - in the city of course. Or you need to get a taxi back who you then accuse of charging you too much.

Seems to me you've quite the attachment to urban areas when it suits your drinking time. Why not do your drinking in the rural location as well if it's all that?

Well this is a fairly weak argument. Would you say the same to someone from a rural area who spends a weekend in a hotel in Dublin as there is little different.

I stay in a friends house (in a bed, I’m past sleeping on couches) close to the city in occasion if offered, I often get a lift home and I sometimes get an overly expensive taxi home. I also often go out to local pubs as I have some great ones close by.

You are talking absolute nonsense. Wanting to partake in some city based activities does not in anyway override a persons desire to actually live rurally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Well this is a fairly weak argument. Would you say the same to someone from a rural area who spends a weekend in a hotel in Dublin as there is little different.

I stay in a friends house (in a bed, I’m past sleeping on couches) close to the city in occasion if offered, I often get a lift home and I sometimes get an overly expensive taxi home. I also often go out to local pubs as I have some great ones close by.

You are talking absolute nonsense. Wanting to partake in some city based activities does not in anyway override a persons desire to actually live rurally.

Agreed. Traditionally cities and city people have always been welcoming and warm to anyone wanting to stay, visit or live in them. There's not much clannishness and parochialism involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

The entire point of living rurally is that you can live in the quietness and nature of the countryside while still being able to go to the city for a sesh or event once in a while. Of course you'll have to stay in a hotel or with friends if it's too far for a day trip or if you intend to drink, but that is natural.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Agreed. Traditionally cities and city people have always been welcoming and warm to anyone wanting to stay, visit or live in them. There's not much clannishness and parochialism involved.

Plenty of blow ins living around my area and I’ve never seen any clannishness towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

John_Rambo wrote: »

Plenty of blow ins living around my area and I’ve never seen any clannishness towards them.

How would you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Using the term blow ins is indicative of clannishness to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Never heard the phrase "blow in" until people I know moved to your area nox!! They weren't made feel very welcome for a few years. Always refered to as the "blow ins".
    Where I'm from their called neighbours. Even if their not from the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I moved to a rural village 2 years ago. I sometimes call myself a blow in as self deprecating joke, like if I'm out working in the garden & someone stops for directions (I'm still not sure where every thing is) I'll joke that they're asking the wrong person, I'm just a blow in!!! I don't see it as an insult.
    I find people saying rural people are clannish expect others to coming running to them all the time & not have to put in any effort themselves. Where I moved we were welcomed, no one would pass you without saying hello or putting up their hand as they drove by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Thanks, I am glad I was able to drag it out of you the significant inconvenience living rurally poses to people's social lives.

Relying on someone else to offer you a bed. .. Relying on getting a lift like you're 12 again.. Relying on expensive taxis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Back on topic- and address the OP and his/her concerns- no more made meanderings off topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

salonfire wrote: »
    Thanks, I am glad I was able to drag it out of you the significant inconvenience living rurally poses to people's social lives.

Relying on someone else to offer you a bed. .. Relying on getting a lift like you're 12 again.. Relying on expensive taxis.

That is also a fairly weak argument. I know people in cities who go on tear who need to rely on a lift like there 12 again or be offered a bed if the friend is closer in town and may also require an expensive taxi.

Edit. Sorry Mods if straying

Advertisement