Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unique-ish situation when buying.

Options
  • 17-11-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So I'm thinking of buying an apartment using the rebuilding Ireland scheme as I've no hope getting a mortgage for the amount I need using a bank.

However, I have all my savings in shares rather than in a bank account. I've been doing this for years now and have made around 20% gains - not bad. Now the problem I'm facing is: to apply for the rebuilding Ireland scheme you obviously have to show proof of funds but I can't do this without selling all my shares.

Issue there is: I'll have to pay around 5k in tax when I sell the shares and then if rebuilding Ireland rejects my application I'll be down 5k since I can't just get a mortgage with a bank if they say no.

Essentially it's taking a 5k gamble to apply for the scheme. At least that's how I currently see it.

Or am I thinking about this wrong? The vast majority of people have money in the bank for obvious reasons which makes things easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

You don't need to sell, just prove you have them. I had shares as well and all I needed to show was a recent statement to get approval in principle

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cubah

Yourmama wrote: »
    You don't need to sell, just prove you have them. I had shares as well and all I needed to show was a recent statement to get approval in principle

Wait. Really? I got told from one of their support agents that I'd need to sell the shares in advance ages ago. Feck.

What way does it work then out of interest? Since if you have let's say 50k in shares it doesn't necessarily mean you have 50k in cash. Or do you just work out roughly how much you'll end up with after paying tax?

Also, shares go up and down obviously so your situation could change a decent bit so I'm curious how it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Cubah wrote:
    What way does it work then out of interest? Since if you have let's say 50k in shares it doesn't necessarily mean you have 50k in cash. Or do you just work out roughly how much you'll end up with after paying tax?

I'm thinking now my situation wasn't exactly as yours. I had few different investments and not much cash at a time of approval in principle. When I monetized all of them later on, shares weren't big chunk and I wasn't doing such calculations as you. I just sold them and whatever cash I had, I put towards deposit. I would have enough deposit even without shares so maybe that's why I wasn't asked to sell... I don't know really.

Advertisement