Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent Review above 4%

Options
  • 16-11-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi, looking for advice.
    I am a LL with a property rented to a young woman with 2 kids, under the HAP scheme in Newbridge Co. Kildare.
    I believe Newbridge is a RPZ area.
    Rent is currently 975 and was set 30 months ago.
    I believe i am restricted to 4% rent increase according to RTB due to RPZ, but my question is, can i ask the tenant to top up the rent above the 4% as private rents are in the region of 1400 atm?
    Also just had HAPs inspection and am well pissed. Her house is better than my own.
    TKs in advance.
    P.S. She is a very good tenant.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, you can't.

Pretty sure you can go 8%, since it's been over 2 years since the last increase.

Edit: incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

IIRC Newbridge is in a RPZ so the short answer is no.

There is a rent calculator on the RTB website and there might be a way of getting a little more overall than 4%, but if it is more it won't be much more. Basically you're stuck to the RPZ rules, the reward for not charging market rent to a good tenant I'm afraid.

There are other ways of increasing the rent such a substantial renovation, and others here may guide you in the right direction how this works. But this method and most of the RPZ rules are a bit of a minefield and you seem not fully up to speed with them (no offence meant). You may be better seeking professional advice, but one procedural step wrong and it could cost you. Best not rely on internet forums for professional advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ger34 wrote: »
    Hi, looking for advice.
    I am a LL with a property rented to a young woman with 2 kids, under the HAP scheme in Newbridge Co. Kildare.
    I believe Newbridge is a RPZ area.
    Rent is currently 975 and was set 30 months ago.
    I believe i am restricted to 4% rent increase according to RTB due to RPZ, but my question is, can i ask the tenant to top up the rent above the 4% as private rents are in the region of 1400 atm?
    Also just had HAPs inspection and am well pissed. Her house is better than my own.
    TKs in advance.
    P.S. She is a very good tenant.

If HAP *failed the property* which I assume they did given that you are unhappy - you need to try to get to the bottom of the implications that may have for HAP paying you each month.

That's more important right now then whether you can get more then 4 percent on an increase.

I'd advise legal advice on how best to address the situation where a failed inspection means HAPs payments stop.

Apologies for assuming the house failed but I'm assuming you wouldnt be pissed if the house passed or only failed on easy to fix inexpensive things

• Advertisement
Advertisement