Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jessops.com - ROI?

• 30-03-2009 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yes thats a head wrecker, does not work at all, system only checks for UK address' you have to order via phone !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Just read the post from Placebo so the below will probably make no difference..

Never tried ordering from Jessops before but have had similar problems with other sites. If their site insists on a postcode when ordering try using "0000"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

I actually travelled up to Newry to buy my DSLR from Jessops, that's always an option if you have the time. I can't understand why they don't have any ROI addresses in their database despite delivering to the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I tried to order a 5D last year and it wouldn't let me check out so I drove to Newry instead. The guy in the shop said their system won't accept ROI credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

had the same problem - ended up just phoning them and bought it that way.

(for anyone who saw my earlier rant about them not delivering - I'm still waiting but the tripod which i bought before xmas along with other stuff - but at least they explained the delays - simply out of stock still - not happy but at least it will arrive eventually and I'm not completely forgotten about! most people seem to give them a very good review though so just seems to be my bad luck choosing the wrong item).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I checked out jessops.com and had the same issue so I ordered from http://www.warehouseexpress.com/ . Got my dslr for £50 less than Jessops and delivery was prompt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

thats who I have used for my dslr. Ordered on Friday, arrived today....very good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I ordered off warehouseexpress before and although they took the order online they did come back and ask for a credit card statement to prove I was the right card owner.

I also ordered off Jessop's before over the phone and they too were fine. Although I would say that the package I got for them was quite badly packed.

At this stage I just use www.camerapricebuster.co.uk and choose which ever is cheaper between those 2 and Calumet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jpfahy wrote: »
    I tried to order a 5D last year and it wouldn't let me check out so I drove to Newry instead. The guy in the shop said their system won't accept ROI credit cards

And well he might, he's not exactly neutral in that regard since putting out that (false) message drives all of us up the M1 to Newry so the Newry branch gets our business instead of the mail order wing of the company.

I have ordered via a Dublin credit card and Jessops have delivered to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have had this problem with Jessops & 7dayshop. It is to do with security software on Credit Cards. It is to do with the lack of Post Code data & it then fails the address check.

Jessops I placed the order by phone & it was all OK.

7dayshop it only occurs on large orders. I have had it fail twice with them, each time it was a matter of emailing them & getting past the Standard Response stage & pointing out I have a history of buying stuff on their database with the same card. Problem is then sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lillajag09

I ordered a Nikon DSLR in January from Jessops. Had to do it over the phone but that was painless enough. They only charged £9 for the delivery. I spent hours comparing prices and some of the other UK websites charge a lot more for the delivery. I saved a significant amount compared to the ROI prices.
    And the best bit- I got it the next day! No issues whatsover with the package, it was a proper box and well packed.
    That's what I call excellent service!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I found Calumet, in Belfast, to be a great service, and they'll try to price match if you can provide an accurate quotation from another supplier. Bit of a drive though :(

There's a Jessops store in Derry, which I usually stroll into once a week, but lately, there seems to be less and less items on display? If you want to check stock levels in the Derry store, use the post code BT48 6XY.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

yes have had the same problem with Jessops and their online system not allowing ROI addresses, the first time it happened me last may I was trying to do a collent at store option, I rung them and they insisted it was a CC problem on my end, I rung my CC company to double check and they said no all was ok so I rung Jessops back and got speaking to a different customer agent and straight away they knew why, as I was travelling to the UK anyways they just told me to go to the store and say I wasnt able to do it online cause of address and I would get the same deal as net, so that was ok..

in Dec, I decided to get a lense for camera, so as I had got camera from them initally I priced about and they were still the cheapest for the one I wanted, proceeded to do order online again and suprise suprise same problem again! as I was heading up north anyways I decided to check both stores in Newry & Belfast who were out of stock of the lense I wanted! :mad:.. as I was travelling to the UK in Feb I decided to leave it and get it over in one of their stores in person .. I did however send an mail to their customer service dept and explain the problems and was told that they had a lot of similar issues and were going to look into it, time will tell if its changed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 vervevalley

hi
    Planning to buy a dslr in Uk..! was looking thro the price it's pretty cheap compared to the prices in dublin..! Does any one have an idea about customs duty or tax..! i was told by my a friend that they would charge only the postal charge ..! pls reply
    Thanks..

Lillajag09 wrote: »
    I ordered a Nikon DSLR in January from Jessops. Had to do it over the phone but that was painless enough. They only charged £9 for the delivery. I spent hours comparing prices and some of the other UK websites charge a lot more for the delivery. I saved a significant amount compared to the ROI prices.
    And the best bit- I got it the next day! No issues whatsover with the package, it was a proper box and well packed.
    That's what I call excellent service!

Oh thanks...! just was wonddering..even i'm planning to get a camera in north ire. Pls suggest me a good shop and deal in north ire..!
    Thanks in adavnce

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

hi
    Planning to buy a dslr in Uk..! was looking thro the price it's pretty cheap compared to the prices in dublin..! Does any one have an idea about customs duty or tax..! i was told by my a friend that they would charge only the postal charge ..! pls reply
    Thanks..

Have no worries. Items purchased within the EU are not subject to Customs Duties. You will only have to pay postage.

Carrigman wrote: »
    Have no worries. Items purchased within the EU are not subject to Customs Duties. You will only have to pay postage.

Thanks a lot..! was thinking of which website to order other than..jessops..!?do have any idea about that? So the postage will be mentioned in the weblink?do reply
    Thanks

Hi
    Just ordered my Nikon camera and Tamron lens from Jessops this Monday eve (21st Sept). They mailed me that they had a problem in taking cash from the credit card we provided..!!
    so we were trying to contact them through their phone number for changing my credit card details to my surprise I found out form my tracking order that it has being dispatched on 23rd Sept we phoned them again to check if it's really sent they replied 'yes' and no problem with the credit card..!
    Just want to know, is it through DHL they deliver? if yes,I dont find any track number here what should I do?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Must be a new thing with Jessops I remember years ago buying from them online with such problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

I bought a lens from jessops.co.uk about 2 weeks ago. All online, no phone-in order, no problems with the credit card details, saved £170 compared to warehouseexpress, delivery for £15 (instead of £30 with warehouseexpress).

Couldn't be happier with the service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

I'm having a bit a bad experience with Jessops at the mo. Bought a lens on the website for £800 which was more expensive down here in the republic. It said after putting in the details including credit card etc, ta very much and heres your transaction ref. Later on that night i got an email saying they could not get the funds from the card. 2 days later i was up in Newry and dropped into the jessops store and asked had they got the particular lens in stock they said yes so i explained what happened and he assured me that the online order was cancelled and it was ok to buy the lens in the store. Anyway i did and sure enough what arrives by DHL monday morning, the lens from the online store, and the charge taken from my card. And to make things worse the lens box inside the package was open and a returns sticker stuck to the side of it? I rang the shop and explained what happened and he said get the lens up to him and he would refund me the funds, the lens arrived at the shop early last week and after numorous calls and giving them details they havent refunded me yet. Will give them till the end of the week and if they havent i will be taking a spin up to have a firm chat with the manager. :( And now to make things worse i'm getting an error 99 fairly frequently on the 400d when using this lens which is a Canon efs 17-55mm f2.8 is usm..

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I bought a lens from jessops.co.uk about 2 weeks ago. All online, no phone-in order, no problems with the credit card details, saved £170 compared to warehouseexpress, delivery for £15 (instead of £30 with warehouseexpress).

Couldn't be happier with the service!

how did you get around the matching cc details with address since their system checks via post codes or have they amended it for Rep of Ireland? I am just curious :D

piskins72 wrote: »
    how did you get around the matching cc details with address since their system checks via post codes or have they amended it for Rep of Ireland? I am just curious :D

Hi Piskins72,
    About the post codes..! i too had the same confusion..! Since Ireland dont have a post code except Dublin..! I just added IREL in the post code column and it worked..! I can assure that there was no problem for me while doing it..!

Fredrick wrote: »
    I'm having a bit a bad experience with Jessops at the mo. Bought a lens on the website for £800 which was more expensive down here in the republic. It said after putting in the details including credit card etc, ta very much and heres your transaction ref. Later on that night i got an email saying they could not get the funds from the card. 2 days later i was up in Newry and dropped into the jessops store and asked had they got the particular lens in stock they said yes so i explained what happened and he assured me that the online order was cancelled and it was ok to buy the lens in the store. Anyway i did and sure enough what arrives by DHL monday morning, the lens from the online store, and the charge taken from my card. And to make things worse the lens box inside the package was open and a returns sticker stuck to the side of it? I rang the shop and explained what happened and he said get the lens up to him and he would refund me the funds, the lens arrived at the shop early last week and after numorous calls and giving them details they havent refunded me yet. Will give them till the end of the week and if they havent i will be taking a spin up to have a firm chat with the manager. :( And now to make things worse i'm getting an error 99 fairly frequently on the 400d when using this lens which is a Canon efs 17-55mm f2.8 is usm..

Hello Fredrick,
    You could have waited for a while..! even I had the same problem about the jessops not able to take funds from it..! Since It was online I was bit cautious and thought would wait for some time else cancel the whole order it they fail to dispatch.!!
    Moreover just like you we had a plan to go for shopping to Newry but (it was fortunately I would say) was cancelled..! And we Planned to go to Newry next month!!
    Dont worry..just wait for some more time and I guess there will be noproblem cancelling your orders..! Good luck

Hi
    Just ordered my Nikon camera and Tamron lens from Jessops this Monday eve (21st Sept). They mailed me that they had a problem in taking cash from the credit card we provided..!!
    so we were trying to contact them through their phone number for changing my credit card details to my surprise I found out form my tracking order that it has being dispatched on 23rd Sept we phoned them again to check if it's really sent they replied 'yes' and no problem with the credit card..!
    Just want to know, is it through DHL they deliver? if yes,I dont find any track number here what should I do?
    Thanks

Received my Camera with it kit lens and also the extra Tamron lens yesterday Sept 28th by 1 o clock..! Packing was perfectly done and no problem..! by the time Jessops mailed me about my tracking number I was clicking pictures with my Nikon D3000!!
    Nice camera looks good and compact in my hands..! Waiting for weekend to click out door pictures..!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

piskins72 wrote: »

It no longer seems to check the postcode as I didn't have any problems. I can't remember what I entered but usually it's "Cork" so I guess that's what worked. Sometimes 000 works too, but I definitely think they've changed their systems because it wouldn't even quote shipping to Ireland before.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Hello Fredrick,
    You could have waited for a while..! even I had the same problem about the jessops not able to take funds from it..! Since It was online I was bit cautious and thought would wait for some time else cancel the whole order it they fail to dispatch.!!
    Moreover just like you we had a plan to go for shopping to Newry but (it was fortunately I would say) was cancelled..! And we Planned to go to Newry next month!!
    Dont worry..just wait for some more time and I guess there will be noproblem cancelling your orders..! Good luck

Yeah, i had a wedding last weekend and was asked to take some shots so i was afraid i wouldnt have it by then, anyway the manager rang yesterday and done the refund while i was on the phone so its looking good, ta vervevalley.

Advertisement