Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you collect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

What would every one's views be on signed items like the book mentioned above,most signed items carry no proof that there original and a certificate of authenticity isn't worth the paper its written on most of the time.In my view buying signed items can often be risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I was thinking the same myself but decided to keep shtum. If there was a good provenance with the book you would expect to see if for sale through Whyte's or Mealy's. Thought the OP might be toting for business for **** judging by his/her other posts. :D
    Incidentally, Mealy's have a great sale of Rare Books, Collecting & Sporting material this Thursday, 29th July - online catalogue here: http://www.mealys.com/

I'v just noticed all the OP's previous posts which mention **** now deleted.......quite awesome moderation?

These two early humourous Irish cards are amongst my favourites and I purchased both on eBay for a few pounds a couple of years back. While being a bit stage-Irish they are only harmless fun to most people.

postcardart.jpg

postcardprint2.jpg

And while I'm having a dig at the Celts here's one for all you Scots on the Boards. :D

postcards003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nickle

Hi, I collect Irish Peat Postcards from the early 19th Century.

I am no expert but I'd say that I have most of those published.

Yes, they were made from peat moss, turf, bog-stuff, whatever you wish to call it. Some rags mixed in as well- novel or what?

Rare enough but some few turn up all the time.

I am always on look-out for more!

They are not particularly valuable per se, but I like them and do not see them as a money-maker; just nice to look at now and then!

Nickle
    :D
    1.8.'10

• Advertisement

Hi Nickle - welcome to the Boards. How about some pics? Never heard of a peat postcard before. :)

Just found the answer to my own question - where else but on Adverts.ie. Strange looking card and not very practical.

8cbaed518a2b0a92f081df90dd1bc40a464a0bba3f51a0c7b0cb18fde4e74a46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

I collect Victoriana, any interesting items. I have a lot of mourning jewellery of adults and children, bone brooches, Victorian postcards that have been written on and posted, tons of Victorian photographs (fascinating and creepy!), childrens books with inscriptions, used dance cards, microscope slides, a sealed wax letter, almanacs, chamber candlesticks, silverware and jewellery boxes and loads of other trinkets like sewing kits etc. Ever growing obsession! :o

That sure leaves you with plenty of scope! I would have thought space and money would be your only problems as you collect so many different things you're sure to able to find tons of stuff. Do you buy on eBay?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

yes the wide scope is a big problem, i have banned myself from buying anything in the past few months, no matter what the bargain! i do buy on ebay sometimes, it can be very good value if you're careful. i also buy at fairs, flea markets, car boot sales etc.

Any pics?

Just back from Wexford where I trawled through the charity shops - awful junk for the most part but I picked up a future collectable (?) an almost mint boxed VHS set of the Star Trek movies - €7 and you can't beat that with a big stick! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Never heard of a peat postcard before. :)

A little off topic but I once brought a big piece of Connemara bog turf back to the US, I though some American friends would get a kick out of it, its a gorgeous smell when it burns.
    I never accounted for the change in humidity though, it dried out and shriveled up in about a day and when we burnt it, it was like cardboard.

I wonder if those peat postcards were more aromatic when they were new? Perhaps there was a smell of Ireland as well as a poem?

It's been quite a while since I had a worthwhile find in a charity shop but today I picked up these two coffee cups from the defunct Four Courts Hotel in Dublin. They set me back the princely sum of €2. There is no manufacturers name on the cups but I suspect that they date from the original hotel rather than the later incarnation. Even the later hotel now seems to have disappeared. Anybody know anything about it?

Anyway they make a nice addition to my growing collection of Manx & Irish hotelware. I only collect pretty pieces and the hotel has to be extinct to be of interest.

cups001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

It's been quite a while since I had a worthwhile find in a charity shop but today I picked up these two coffee cups from the defunct Four Courts Hotel in Dublin. They set me back the princely sum of €2. There is no manufacturers name on the cups but I suspect that they date from the original hotel rather than the later incarnation. Even the later hotel now seems to have disappeared. Anybody know anything about it?

Anyway they make a nice addition to my growing collection of Manx & Irish hotelware. I only collect pretty pieces and the hotel has to be extinct to be of interest.

cups001.jpg
    judgement day iv got two mahers coffee cups and saucers by carrig pottery
    think they are from the late 60-early seventy's. might swap
    see here also
    http://www.adverts.ie/181326/bulk/selection-of-exceptional-books-and-catalogues-on-antiques/

The Four Courts Hotel, Inns Quay circa 1920 - note the British (?) armoured vehicle parked outside - from a photo posted here
    http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?5372-Old-Photos-Of-Dublin/page1021
    attachment.php?attachmentid=46106&d=1282129180

I'd love to see menus from Old hotels or restaurants.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'd love to see menus from Old hotels or restaurants.

You mean like this? This nice example of a Great Northern Railway menu used to be part of my collection but can now be seen in the superb Headhunters Barbers Shop & Railway Museum at Darling Street, Enniskillen in County Fermanagh.

http://www.headhuntersmuseum.com/

GNRI%2BMenu.jpg

Look no further than the latest Healy Rare Book Catalogue - more than 1,100 items - just published and full details of how to get your copy here: http://collectireland.wordpress.com/books/

healy-rare-books-002.jpg?w=222&h=300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Blade wrote: »
    Heres some samples of Roman items I've collected, coins, fibula/brooches, keys, rings etc.

Do you display them, and if so how?

I have recently begun an interest in collecting Roman coins also, though I only have a very few worth looking at thus far. Most of my efforts up to now have been in the "unresearched, uncleaned" market, but sod that, now I'll try to buy what I want. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I collect irish silver have a small amount of limerick silver,very rare,I used to collect old original stone troughs and i still have about a dozen of the best and most unusual ones though im getting a bit of grief from the ball and chain because they are stacked in my yard and i may have to sell them.I also have a couple of slate sun dials made in the 1800s and some clocks,wall and mantle,postcards advertising signs,clunes of limerick being the nicest,books the first 2 editions of MAN ALIVEan irish girlie mag published i think in the80s and banned after a couple of editions for featuring topless girls from ireland.Collecting is strange and it gets a hold you.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I have over 120 rugby shirts.

Some of them are here to view under user name Ken

http://www.oldrugbyshirts.com/en/index.php

• Advertisement

The slippery slope beckons! After a satisfying encounter with Paddy Power over the weekend I threw caution to the wind and made a purchase on eBay - all of €3.45 incl.p+p. While this tiny purchase is insignificant in itself, it's where it may lead that worries me. For years I have been fighting the urge to seriously collect coins and banknotes, and only picked them up by chance rather than going out of my way to build a collection. My Grandfather was a serious stamp collector and had an enormous British Empire collection built up between 1890/1940 - I sold it for a song twenty years ago - and now it looks like I am heading down the same road only with coins and bank notes. It's the history, the romantic place names of the far flung outposts of Empire that do it for me - Burma, Sarawak, the Straits Settlements, Southern Rhodesia, Mauritius, India, Ceylon etc.etc. That combined with the mystic of monarchy and imperial dreams. Then there is so much information to be unearthed about some of the places named. Is there still British currency to be found? Can it be purchased? Can it survive the rigours of the various postal systems to arrive safely with me?

Like it or not the British produced some of the most beautiful/collectable stamps, coinage and banknotes and now I'm on the case. :D

So yesterday I went mad and lashed out my €3.45 on an UNC $2 bill from Belize (formerly British Honduras) in Central America. Despite achieving Independence from Britain as far back as 1981, Queen Elizabeth II still appears on current banknotes. Britain retains a small garrison in Belize, at the request of its government, to protect them from the unwanted advances of neighbouring Guatemala - so perhaps that's why the British monarch is so popular. Anyway a start has been made and I'm going to stick with the smallest outposts of Empire to begin with and I already have the Falklands, St.Helena and Gibraltar in my sights. Now it would be easy to just search on eBay but I am finding direct contacts in the various outposts far more interesting. In the meantime here's my first purchase.

b2z7cdwkkgrhqfjkepfbfvn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 leitrimexile

Started with comics, came across a batch when i was on work placement 12 years ago. Victors mainly, before that it was Stamps until i gave to my sister.

I have a nice selection of Warlord, Hotspur and Victor Annuals, then graduated to Guinness book of records, daft yes, had approx 20 of them. The new ones are fierce tacky and bulky. The house is to small for all the bits. Then it was beermats and old irish coins, thanks to my grandmother. Following that it was callcards, had a fairly good collection, member of the club run by telecom.

Gave it up for a few years, moved house and started all it again. Would like to complete the Victors, Warlord and Hotspur Annuals collection. Interested in authors such as Ramond Smith, Jack Mahon, Walter Macken and John McGahern.

Took the notion of collecting Everton jersies but my main hobby is collecting GAA material programmes and books. I have approximately 250 books, not as many programmes. Interested in Connaught stuff. Collect Irish quiz books also as in peter murphy etc. Have a few rugby books/autobios also.

Kinda flip/flop but GAA mad at the moment, when i get a chance i must dig out callcards and beermats. Had a good CD collection approx 250 and DVD boxsets.

Anybody on similar trends. ??

Just posted this on Adverts.ie here: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=309976

Very Nice.

Will the proceeds be financing more banknotes?

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Very Nice.

Will the proceeds be financing more banknotes?

More likely keeping Paddy Power in the style that he is accustomed to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Currently Collecting: Irish Stamps from 1922 onwards, Irish Commemorative Coins, Keyrings

Used to collect: Chinese Stamps, Chinese Comics (had built up a collection of over 300 Volumes), Phone cards, Chinese snuff bottles, Flag pins.

Want to collect: WW2 medals (too expensive to start with), every single sheet of paper that bears the signature of Jean-Claude Trichet or Wim Duisenberg
    :D:p

19401968stpatricke.th.jpg

p1020942.th.jpg

p1020949k.th.jpg

Placed these two on my fireplace to smarten my room up, bought them on ebay and framed them by myself.
    p1020944m.th.jpg
    the one on the right is a 1880 share cert.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

MasterSun wrote: »
    Currently Collecting: Irish Stamps from 1922 onwards, Irish Commemorative Coins, Keyrings

Just commemorative coins? Do you mean just the single boxed official issues? I collect anything in Irish coins/medals and tokens.
    Placed these two on my fireplace to smarten my room up, bought them on ebay and framed them by myself.

Those gold Irish notes actually came with a nice frame but that seller removed the frames to keep the shipping costs down. I have both the £1 and £5 versions in their original frames. There's also someone selling framed 10 shilling gold notes, but I think he's looking for £45 + postage.

Just commemorative coins? Do you mean just the single boxed official issues? I collect anything in Irish coins/medals and tokens.
    Yes, just the silver and gold proof coin sets issued by the central bank.
    Although i have some punt coins, I’m not into collecting them.
    Those gold Irish notes actually came with a nice frame but that seller removed the frames to keep the shipping costs down. I have both the £1 and £5 versions in their original frames. There's also someone selling framed 10 shilling gold notes, but I think he's looking for £45 + postage.
    i heard only a limited amount of those were framed (2500 out of 7500?), i got an unframed one and bought two pic frames from a 2nd hand shop.
    in total, i paid less than 20 euro for the gold Irish notes (i believe i got a bargain)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yes, just the silver and gold proof coin sets issued by the central bank.
    Although i have some punt coins, I’m not into collecting them.

Of all the Irish coins, these along with the Euro mint sets from the CB are the least likely to go up in value, because of the high retail price and high mintage. For the same price of 35 euro you can buy old Irish silver medals that are over 100 years old and much rarer.
    i heard only a limited amount of those were framed (2500 out of 7500?), i got an unframed one and bought two pic frames from a 2nd hand shop.
    in total, i paid less than 20 euro for the gold Irish notes (i believe i got a bargain)

That would be about right, but that ebay seller's stock are all framed, he's just removing them for the postage.

• Advertisement

Of all the Irish coins, these along with the Euro mint sets from the CB are the least likely to go up in value, because of the high retail price and high mintage. For the same price of 35 euro you can buy old Irish silver medals that are over 100 years old and much rarer.

Thanks for the advice. I partially agree with u.
    Yes, i agree that the mintage is set too high, however i don't think Irish silver medals are a better option for investment.
    To put it simple: rare does not necessary means valuable, demand is the main factor in price determination.

in long words,
    eh eh(clearing my throat), In the dull voice of my old economics lecturer :

Presume the coin market is a perfect competitive market where perfect knowledge exists, everyone is free to participate in buying and selling and the price is determined by the market. The vintage value (Extrinsic value) of old medals/coins should be already reflected in their prices; hence their selling prices can be view as the indication of demand. If a particular old medal/coin is sold at a cheap price, this can only mean that very few people want this medal/coin. So unless demand increases, price will continue to stay at the same level.

But with in the relation to Central Bank’s coin shop, it does not engage in a perfect competitive market, Price of a coin will stay the same regardless of demand (ie. Selling price will stay at 35 euro until it’s sold out). So How do you make money from investing in CB’s Coin? U would buy coins in hoping that demand of the coin will exceed the CB's fixed supply , so eventually, the CB will run out of stock, and price will be determined by the perfect competitive market, which likely will result price increase.

reality example:
    the 2008 International polar year silver (arctic explorer) coin -- sold out in 3 days, Original priced at 50 euro, currently at 80 euro

Advertisement