Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I have sky sports on Sky tv but no bt sports. Can i order the fight?? if so how much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

US2 wrote: »
    Am I only the only fool convinced Geathje wins ? Any chance of a poll ?

I've been saying that for a long time, but the closer the fight gets, the more unsure of it I become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It's mostly irrational, but I really don't like Gaethje. Just something about how he carries himself. This whole ****é about representing USA on foreign soil etc it all rings hollow.

He's a phenomenal fighter though. I think he'll win.

No one has mentioned it yet, but the Co-Main fight is a cracker. Love watching Robert Whittaker fight! Cannonier can definitely clip him but I expect Whittaker to run the show and take a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I thought that until I watched the first round of his fight with Brian Cobb.

This round?

0nXUERi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Wow, Khabib looked very very relieved to have made championship weight. Must have been a tough cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I was just gonna post the same thing but was trying to embed the video.

He looked relieved alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

They were very quick to announce Khabibs weight, looks to have been a brutal cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Surely there's the technology there to make some sort of curtain device for the weigh ins when they need to remove their shorts. The towel thing is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭themacman

Could somebody please explain how I can watch this legally in Ireland? I have no sports subscription. Is it possible to pay a once off PPV?

I've read the BT and Sky websites and they just are not clear. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Still Ill wrote: »
    Surely there's the technology there to make some sort of curtain device for the weigh ins when they need to remove their shorts. The towel thing is ridiculous

a talking hologram of mcgregos head

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭selassie

Gaethje will win IMO, he'll throw loads of leg kicks, take the center and he'll be able to scramble out of most takedowns.

I'd then like to see him fight McGregor, and Khabib fight Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I can't see anything other than a Khabib win. I genuinely think he can go undefeated. The man will be as motivated as ever, if not more, as this is the first fight since his father died.

Khabib by submission - as is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

themacman wrote: »
    Could somebody please explain how I can watch this legally in Ireland? I have no sports subscription. Is it possible to pay a once off PPV?

I've read the BT and Sky websites and they just are not clear. Thanks.

You can't watch it legally

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Hopefully Ankalaev & Cuțelaba is worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,452 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So is Justin the best wrestler Khabib has fought in years or is that just the media narrative ?

Conor surprising done better than most at stopping or more like prolonging that takedowns, Is Conor takedown defence underestimated or will someone with Justn pedigree find it easer it stop Khabib

What's Khabib like off his back ? should Justin take him down ? If you watch the first few seconds Conor had a chance to go on top in the very first grappling exchange in his fight but instead of pushing forward he retreated and tried to stand up , I think he said he regretted not attacking it and was in the wrong mindset,

Can Justin rely on his wrestling enough that he can be free in his stand up or will he freeze like most do worrying about the take down ,

Also on the weigh in was Khabib relieved/surprised he made weight or just emotional because it was his first time getting on the scales without his father ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The Forest Griffin breakdown of the opening exchange vs McGregor is instructive. He had multiple opportunities where he could have disengaged. Have to think Justin will do better. Hoping for him to win, not a fan of Khabib at all.

I Have sky sports on sky tv but no bt sports. I can order this fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

selassie wrote: »
    Gaethje will win IMO, he'll throw loads of leg kicks, take the center and he'll be able to scramble out of most takedowns.

I'd then like to see him fight McGregor, and Khabib fight Ferguson.
    He could also leave himself open to take downs if those kicks are caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That was a very quick weigh in for Khabib, the bar didn't look like it settled before they called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That was a very quick weigh in for Khabib, the bar didn't look like it settled before they called it.
    It would be set to 155 in advance. When it drifts past horizontal it means he’s made weight. The precise fraction is irrelevant so they don’t try get more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Posted this in the General thread but just in case anyone in here doesn't read that

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/1317889022795141126

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To the uninitiated (me), I would say it depends on how effective Gaethje is at keeping Khabib from getting in close. He may well be an excellent defensive wrestler but it's not just about being able to defend a takedown but frequent takedowns.

I'd have Khabib as favourite just because I don't see why he wouldn't be. But I Gaethje could definitely do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,452 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lots of talk flying around that Khabib didn't actually make weight and got a helping hand by the guy in front of the scales,
    Its very very hard to see but it does look like he moved the bar before the scales had stopped, Maybe he didn't but he was in a hurry to not let it settle ,

Ariel Helwani was one of those who picked up on it and called it a veteran move by the guy on the scales

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just saw the video of the weigh in. Looked relieved and very drained. He struggled before making 155, seems to be taking a toll on him, can't see him wanting to do that again in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I'm actually most looking forward to Ankalaev vs. Cutelaba!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

so there no way to watch this legally in Ireland if you dont have a sky sub and pay the ppv?

no ppv option on a streaming service ?

feelpablo wrote: »
    so there no way to watch this legally in Ireland if you dont have a sky sub and pay the ppv?

no ppv option on a streaming service ?

Did you try the ufc website? You might be able to pay for it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Did you try the ufc website? You might be able to pay for it there.

Yeah I’ve been a long time subscriber to fightpass, they took the option to buy the ppv directly off them two years ago I think. It was a silly move but was down to their deal with bt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Khabib's cut looked brutal. Portable heaters turned on in the room and pulling on more and more layers while on the bike sweating absolute buckets.

Didn't realise Michael Chandler was to be the backup here in case there was some issue. Didn't he sign with them like 5 mins ago?

Advertisement