Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

The elephant in the room here is how easy Khabib got Justin into full mounts. Twice. Literally only took seconds both times. If the first round had another 20 seconds left on the clock, Justin would have been tapped out then instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Are you drunk? His father said Khabib will retire at 30-0. His father passes away, Khabib "retires" at 29-0. No. Excuse me for putting 2 and 2 together. Must be trolling. :rolleyes:

He promised he's mother this is his last fight without his father. Khabib is probably the most sincere fighter. You believe conor is sincere in his sarcastic tweet from the mcgregors but you doubt khabib.
    I heard conor having a party because he has chance of winning a belt now khabib retired... You might get invite

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Tweets on the screen during the fight rot my hole

Missed a right slap earlier tonight because I was reading what fúcking David Spade had to say about the first round

Where's the live stats? To give a better idea how the round is moving momentum wise

dave1982 wrote: »

He promised he's mother this is his last fight without his father. Khabib is probably the most sincere fighter. You believe conor is sincere in his sarcastic tweet from the mcgregors but you doubt khabib.
    I heard conor having a party because he has chance of winning a belt now khabib retired... You might get invite

:rolleyes: Yeah you are drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Where is the next one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I do know Khabib, paid attention to him since his win against Dos Anjos over 5 years ago. I know his father and Allah were basically his guiding lights. We can't know what Allah has asked of him but we know his father was adament at 30-0 being a perfect record to retire with and we never got any indication to the contrary since he passed away. I'd bet my life that he fights again and retires in front of a crowd. I'd bet my house on it being GSP at Welterweight. Money is not his motivation, sure, but he's a very intelligent man who would know his worth and know if he is not getting what he believes he's worth.

He mentioned in the post fight interview that he promised his mother that would be his last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

:rolleyes: Yeah you are drunk

Haha good one. Resort to being a grammar nazi... You win

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

dave1982 wrote: »
    Haha good one. Resort to being a grammar nazi... You win

Zig he'll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Is everyone forget the controversy around khabibs weigh in? It was light weight v a Welter weight tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Tweets on the screen during the fight rot my hole

Drives me mad
    They're going overboard with the tweets but that stupid david spade tweet about as funny as a dog with rabies

I have no interest in what comedians or celebs tweet about regarding mma as most have no idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭vafankillar

could get used to this craic of having UFC on at a normal time. feels weird that it's only like 11

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Still think he's sloppy as fuk on the feet Khabib, if that rumoured Mayweather fight had ever happened it would have been pure farce ............not fussed to see the back of him never been my cup of tea ..........if he'd had tried going up a weight with serious wrestling sharks I'd have been interested

He's beat Gaethje, Porier, McGregor (after near 2 yrs out), Iaquinta, and RDA......the rest of his 29-0 meh who knew

Goat? not for me

You haven’t a clue what you’re watching so.

Tell me a better 3 fight win streak than McGregor, Poirier, Gaethje.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

D'Agger wrote: »
    Missed a right slap earlier tonight because I was reading what fúcking David Spade had to say about the first round

Where's the live stats? To give a better idea how the round is moving momentum wise

Great idea, but how does that generate trending and retweets and likes?? Pffft, watching the fight and wanting fight info!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mdwexford wrote:
    Whittaker, Romero, Costa

Johnson, Dillashaw,. Moraes, Cruz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

mdwexford wrote: »

Meh a bit wishy washy.......McGgregor for example beats everyone he's beat with ease in his own way ......and I'd be the first to admit to not seeing MgGregor ever beat Khabib .....this doesn't make him the 'goat'

Khabib moves up to 170 and I see a few if not several who can beat him, the same could not have been said McGregor moving from 45 to 55

eagle eye wrote: »
    Whittaker, Romero, Costa

First one no chance.

If Marlon wasn’t in the Henry run then it’s a serious discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Whittaker, Romero, Costa

Are you serious? Romero is like in his 40s and Costa is some muscle head that bluffed his way into a title shot.
    Johnson, DIllashaw, Cruz is a slightly better call but still not that great. (Cruz long term injury)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Which current and somewhat realistic fighters beat Khabib in 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Which current and somewhat realistic fighters beat Khabib in 2021?

None because he's retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The only active UFC fighters with a realistic shot at a fight with him if he were to somehow unretire are welterweights. Probably only Usman and maybe Colby.

Another year or 18 months or so and there'd have potentially been talk of a dream Khabib-Khabig fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Can only see him coming back for GSP if not him then I def think he stays retired. He's filthy rich and doesn't need the McGregor fight again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

mdwexford wrote: »

Silva, Machida, Belfort must be up there.

Simple fact of the matter is that Gaethje was beaten before that fight started. Dodgy weigh in yesterday and we seen a big welterweight fighting a lightweight tonight.
    Very unfair to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Simple fact of the matter is that Gaethje was beaten before that fight started. Dodgy weigh in yesterday and we seen a big welterweight fighting a lightweight tonight.

He made weight. He's a lightweight. Get over it.

derfderf wrote: »
    Silva, Machida, Belfort must be up there.

Machida and Vitor were 36 and 37.
    Past their best in my opinion and in hindsight obviously.

Everyone has the same opportunity to cut weight.

He made weight. He's a lightweight. Get over it.
    It was a very dodgy weigh in. The bar appeared to be still moving when he called the weight.

If you don't agree with that no point talking to you. If you didn't notice the size difference tonight you are as blind as a bat.

mdwexford wrote:
    Everyone has the same opportunity to cut weight.

Did you see the weigh in? Are you happy that the bar was stopped when the weight was called?

Assuming he missed weight by 2 pounds you think that him being 13 pounds below the welterweight limit makes him a big welterweight. Good lad.

You just had to look at the size of the two of them. There was a huge difference, you'd want to be blind not to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not surprised with the amount of bitterness in here this evening.

"He hasn't fought anybody"
    "He's too big"
    "He's boring to watch"

There are always going to be those types. Almost every time it's a reflection of themselves, their own inadequacies.

Like it or not, the guy is the best LW on the planet. He's fought all comers and he's made minced-meat of them all.

Up until now the only thing anyone could even say about him was either "Michael Johnson rocked him" or "Dustin Poirier almost caught him in a guillotine".

Even if either of those things were true (they're not) both of those fights ended with Khabib's opponent tapping.

The man is incredible!

Advertisement