Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 251 - Usman vs Masvidal Sat July 11th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Mellor wrote: »
    It absolutely should have been stoped earlier.

But to in all honestly, sometimes the best intelligent defence is to shell up and protect your head. Tough spot from Also to get out of alive.

Turtle is simply a terrible position (in MMA)

If there was 20 seconds left in the round I'd agree, but there wasn't! That position is an automatic stoppage but a shorter period of what that ref went to. Crazy ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Masvidal by KO/TKO
    Yeah and the noise of the shots he was taking, weren't just jabs for the sake of it.

Would agree maybe if it was the last minute to hang on but was going from 20secs into the round.

Hopefully a rematch of the first fight here. Should be a good one.

There was one punch that opened Aldo up, the blood on the mat was ridiculous for the short distance Yan threw it, lethal. Blood stain still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aldo by KO/TKO
    If there was 20 seconds left in the round I'd agree, but there wasn't! That position is an automatic stoppage but a shorter period of what that ref went to. Crazy ref.

The time left in the round is irrelevant to the ref’s decision.
    And I agreed it should have been stopped sooner.

I was just also pointing out that sometimes shelling up and “doing nothing” is the most intelligent defence is a bad spot.
    Conversely fans will typically complain if a fight is stopped if a fighter is actively moving - even if that movement is leaving him unprotected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Holloway very much looking like his old self tonight, very sharp and finding the target consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Yan by Sub
    Alexander getting lit up, c'mon max

Yan by Sub
    I'm on the max wagon, Alex from the vlogs is dry as fcuk

Mellor wrote: »
    The time left in the round is irrelevant to the ref’s decision.
    And I agreed it should have been stopped sooner.

I was just also pointing out that sometimes shelling up and “doing nothing” is the most intelligent defence is a bad spot.
    Conversely fans will typically complain if a fight is stopped if a fighter is actively moving - even if that movement is leaving him unprotected.

Shelling up like that is defeat, it's up to the ref to recognise that. Fine line between defeat and brain damage. Obviously the ref took his fair share of punches.

Yan by Sub
    Am I understanding this right, only difference is max is matching the point scoring of leg kicks from the first fight

Aldo by KO/TKO
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Holloway very much looking like his old self tonight, very sharp and finding the target consistently.

He looks great. I have him edging it, but I haven’t been scoring round by round

• Advertisement

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Shelling up like that is defeat,.
    Ok, what is your alternative intelligent way of defending from there?

Obviously not getting into that position is optimal.

I’d give that to Max 48-47, but honestly it could go either way and I wouldn’t question the decision.

Yan by Sub
    Max 3-2 from me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Toss up there

Yan by Sub
    Balls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Such a close fight! I have the first 3 rounds to Max but that 3rd is a 10-10 in an ideal world

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Disgraceful decision.

A fight of two halves there, and the coin fell in Volkanovski’s favour. Razor close decision though, I’m eager to see how evenly split the MMA journos will be on it.

Definitely wasn't expecting that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Yan by Sub
    Clearly 3-2 to max.

Awful decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Classic UFC robbery, what fight are the judges watching at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Thought max took it but very close fight.

Aldo by KO/TKO

Not a robbery in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I'd have preferred Max to win but during that 3rd round when Bisping was saying Max should be 3 up I felt that Volk was winning the round so 3-2 Volk would have been my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

How can people call that a robbery it was razor close

If you had Max winning, fair enough.

But to call that a robbery is ludicrous. The judges were watching the same fight I was anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

The knockdowns in the early rounds should count for more than it appears they did.

oyvey wrote: »
    The knockdowns in the early rounds should count for more than it appears they did.

They did count. They won Max the rounds.

He lost 3, 4 & 5 though in the eyes of two of the judges. That was the problem.

Aldo by KO/TKO
    oyvey wrote: »

Flash knock-downs that did not damage.

• Advertisement

Aldo by KO/TKO
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    They did count. They won Max the rounds.

He lost 3, 4 & 5 though in the eyes of two of the judges. That was the problem.

He's hinting towards a 10-8 rule.

Advertisement