Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Dagny27 wrote: »
    Can I also ask you, when you got the email with the tracking number, did it display your full address? The original email I got from them has the full address but the second email with the tracking number only has company name and then Dublin (I'm getting it sent to work), no street or anything. Did this happen to others as well or should I be concerned?

Honestly I would not worry. They have your address.

I checked and one of my shipping notification emails from them did not have the country. Still got it delivered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

ptyloch wrote:
    Might be worth checking out, don’t know about customs though.

Seems like a good price, although he last time I ordered from banggood I got hit for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

On my mobile Gearbest app the price is now 315 euro. Cheapest I have seen.

Edit: Sorry, that was with china plug. US plug is 341.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

On my mobile Gearbest app the price is now 315 euro. Cheapest I have seen.

Edit: Sorry, that was with china plug. US plug is 341.

Whats wrong with the Chinese plug? You will need to use an adapter either way.

Or is there more differences than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

Mine came this morning.... yay ,no probs with any extra charge .... can’t wait to try out over weekend , will post how I get on .

• Advertisement

RonTon wrote:
    Mine came this morning.... yay ,no probs with any extra charge .... can’t wait to try out over weekend , will post how I get on .

Nice one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Does this ship with the adaptor for both Chinese and US plugs or is that a separate purchase?

Cheers for the recommendation tedpan, it’s looks like a great bit of kit

JimFin wrote:
    Does this ship with the adaptor for both Chinese and US plugs or is that a separate purchase?

Yep, it's an international charger so will work anywhere in the world. The plug adapter for Ireland is included.
    RonTon wrote:
    Cheers for the recommendation tedpan, it’s looks like a great bit of kit

No worries, I had to tell people about it. Feels like it's worth far more than 400euro..

Enjoy flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hiya guys what is the battery life on this drone and the range?

I would.love to have a drone for.checking on sheep up the mountain instead of having to walk for hours looking for the bastards.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote:

It's advertised at 25 minutes, but the average is 20 minutes. It's pretty decent.

I've been 2kms down the beach and in the back fields with no issues.
    JJayoo wrote:
    I would.love to have a drone for.checking on sheep up the mountain instead of having to walk for hours looking for the bastards.

This could be perfect for to do that as long as you have line of site of the drone. Buildings and obstacles will reduce the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dagny27

Mine arrived safely today! Ordered on the 3 November. The tracking never worked.

Dagny27 wrote:
    Mine arrived safely today! Ordered on the 3 November. The tracking never worked.

Great news! It's a little worrying without tracking but always gets there in the end :) Have Fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

JJayoo wrote: »

Drones like this are becoming more popular amongst livestock owners. Extremely handy for searching in awkward places, up hills or in briars for example. Just remember you only have roughly 18 minutes.....and with the fun you get out of flying it that 18 minutes goes extremely quickly. A second battery is a must. I'm waiting 2 weeks for my second one from Gearbest....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Lanshane wrote: »
    Drones like this are becoming more popular amongst livestock owners. Extremely handy for searching in awkward places, up hills or in briars for example. Just remember you only have roughly 18 minutes.....and with the fun you get out of flying it that 18 minutes goes extremely quickly. A second battery is a must. I'm waiting 2 weeks for my second one from Gearbest....

I suppose like all technology the battery life will improve

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ltec

What do I look out for when buying a SD card.
    Make sure it's micro
    Class 10
    And does it have to be 64gb
    Does make are anything else matter.

ltec wrote:
    What do I look out for when buying a SD card. Make sure it's micro Class 10 And does it have to be 64gb Does make are anything else matter.

Most cards will work, but as it records in 1080p and 4k the files are large and record at high frames per second. You may have issues with slower cards on 4k.

Best to get a 32GB or 64GB card. The higher speed card the better. 60Mb/s upwards I'd say.

Took it out for first flight ,a super piece of kit.
    Easier than I thought it would be to control , went out in a big open field with nothing to bang into .
    Brought a wooden board to takeoff land on (was a mucky field)
    Battery went fast enough ,will definitely get a spare .
    It will take some practice to get good video clips/ pics I think...
    Overall I’m very happy with it and looking forward to bringing it out very every chance I get .
    One thing I can’t do is to turn off the remote control , pressed and holds he off button but doesn’t want to go off .
    The first phone I tried to pair with the app didn’t work(old iPhone 4s) changed it to a The 6s and no problem then ..
    Cheers for this thread tedpan ,good job

RonTon wrote:
    Took it out for first flight ,a super piece of kit. Easier than I thought it would be to control , went out in a big open field with nothing to bang into . Brought a wooden board to takeoff land on (was a mucky field) Battery went fast enough ,will definitely get a spare . It will take some practice to get good video clips/ pics I think... Overall I’m very happy with it and looking forward to bringing it out very every chance I get . One thing I can’t do is to turn off the remote control , pressed and holds he off button but doesn’t want to go off . The first phone I tried to pair with the app didn’t work(old iPhone 4s) changed it to a The 6s and no problem then .. Cheers for this thread tedpan ,good job

Awesome, you're welcome!

Turning the remote and drone on and off is the same, you need to double tap, so quick press then press and hold.

Tip when recording, make sure you press stop before turning the app/quad/remote off otherwise the file will be corrupted.

Can't wait to see footage!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

tedpan wrote: »
    Awesome, you're welcome!

Turning the remote and drone on and off is the same, you need to double tap, so quick press then press and hold.

Tip when recording, make sure you press stop before turning the app/quad/remote off otherwise the file will be corrupted.

Can't wait to see footage!

What file system is your SD vard formatted to...mine is ExFAT, and as a result it records in 5 minute segments. Anyone else find that? Plus I noticed it seems to create 2 files for the one recording, one small (few megs)poor quality one and the other large (few gigs) good quality one. Not sure why it does this. Should one format the SD card once it's connected to the gimbal? Great weather this morning for flying, got some lovely footage. I must get some decent software to put a video of them all together. Great alert Tedpan!!

• Advertisement

Lanshane wrote:
    What file system is your SD vard formatted to...mine is ExFAT, and as a result it records in 5 minute segments. Anyone else find that? Plus I noticed it seems to create 2 files for the one recording, one small (few megs)poor quality one and the other large (few gigs) good quality one. Not sure why it does this. Should one format the SD card once it's connected to the gimbal? Great weather this morning for flying, got some lovely footage. I must get some decent software to put a video of them all together. Great alert Tedpan!!

Awesome, glad you got some nice shots! You don't need to format in the gimbal, but if you're having issues it doing it through the app will sort it.

It records in 5 minute segments, so nothing to worry about. There are two versions of both photos and videos(thumbnails and full quality). The thumbnails are small enough to allow you to view the footage while the drone, remote and app are connected. This allows you to retake the footage of need be and doesn't take up too much space.

Hopefully it will be a nice day for flying tomorrow too!

Did ye get spare battery from tomtop?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

Would like to get this as a Christmas present but have I left it to late to order now ?

11James11 wrote:
    Would like to get this as a Christmas present but have I left it to late to order now ?

Not sure, the last few deliveries have taken 2 weeks, but as its Christmas I wouldn't be sure..

I’d say it would be tight but but definitely possible , mine was just short of 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭J_V_C

Hey fellas,
    been following this thread for a few months now, it seems legit, been tracking Phantom 3 advanced on ebay but I think I'll push the button on the Xiaomi drone instead.

Also the price seems to have dropped to 331e on gearbest, which makes it more attractive than a second-hand P3 advanced.

Could someone help me with a few questions first?

1. Which seller is more likely avoid customs tax?
    2. Where do I get extra batteries?
    3. Can I boost the signal to increase range?
    4. Is there an SDK so that I can dev my own functionality?

Cheers fellas, I've got 4ish hours before the flash sale elapses so any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

J_V_C wrote: »
    Hey fellas,
    been following this thread for a few months now, it seems legit, been tracking Phantom 3 advanced on ebay but I think I'll push the button on the Xiaomi drone instead.

Also the price seems to have dropped to 331e on gearbest, which makes it more attractive than a second-hand P3 advanced.

Could someone help me with a few questions first?

Which seller is more likely avoid customs tax?

Gearbest is where most of us got it from, and didn't get hit with customs.

Where do I get extra batteries?

Can also be got at Gearbest. Tomtop also, but I think there's a greater chance of customs. I think tedpan got one from Gearbest.

Can I boost the signal to increase range?

Yep. Theres a mod by using some dji signal boosters. Something like this https://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopter-parts/pp_312009.html but from what I know there's none made specifically for the mi drone, so you'll have to do some modding.

Is there an SDK so that I can dev my own functionality?

I'm afraid I can't really help you with that.

J_V_C wrote:
    1. Which seller is more likely avoid customs tax? 2. Where do I get extra batteries? 3. Can I boost the signal to increase range? 4. Is there an SDK so that I can dev my own functionality?

1. It's basically pot luck with customs, the majority of people on this thread have used Gearbest, none have had to pay any additional charges.

2. Batteries can be ordered from gearbest, tomtop, banggood etc. Although I had to pay customs on top of mine, which was about 25e. Disappointing, it was my first order from banggood, but at least it was only the duty on the battery.

3. signal - yes, videos are on YouTube

4. Unsure about SDKs and Dev. It's not something I'd be interested in, maybe have a read online..

J_V_C wrote:
    Cheers fellas, I've got 4ish hours before the flash sale elapses so any help would be much appreciated.

It's been hovering around that price for a few weeks now, so wouldn't be especially worried about the flash sale..

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Got mine delivered Saturday - took her for a 1-2 flights

Have a problem with the gimbal - says gimbal not detected

Can see video on phone but can’t record / take photos and move or tilt the gimbal ( gimbal moves around on start up )

Any chance some one could take a picture of the pins of the gimbal?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Did it ever work or did it happen after a few flights? Does the gimbal fully click into the drone?

Advertisement