Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

• 10-04-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

General thread for the other promotions who wouldn't warrent a full one on the majority of events! Anybody watching Bellator & WSOF tonight? There's some great fights on IMO! Looking forward to seeing Brooks, Nick Newell, Joe Schilling, Aldo's translator Saul and a few others. Fairly decent night of fights!

Bellator Stream here - http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/10/8377017/bellator-136-live-stream-online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Marcin Held vs Alexander Sarnavskiy is going to be excellent. I reckon the winner of this fights Brooks next.. Just can't see Jansen doing anything of note tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

That_Guy wrote: »
    Marcin Held vs Alexander Sarnavskiy is going to be excellent. I reckon the winner of this fights Brooks next.. Just can't see Jansen doing anything of note tonight.

Yeah I reckon brooks will get through this fairly handy. Really interested to see how Newell comes back from his last loss, it really showed his inability to defend one side; but it also showed his massive heart to keep on fighting, really hope he wins tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting article on Aldo's translator, Saul Almeida, who has a one fight deal in WSOF:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/7/8366361/following-ufc-189-world-tour-saul-almeida-interprets-the-new-spotlight
    some point in time, perhaps when it’s all just a drifting memory, Saul Almeida will look back on his fight camp for Chris Foster as the one where he shot out of a cannon and right through the roof of the circus tent.

Almeida was minding his own business in Boston, training for his April 10 fight for WSOF, when the UFC’s World Tour happened through town on March 25. Jose Aldo, one of the principals being trotted all over the globe to promote his July 11 title fight with Conor McGregor, asked Almeida to be his interpreter for the event. They had been friendly in the past, so he did. And the next thing he knew he was headed to New York, then Toronto. London. Dublin. He and the subject were being ridiculed by the imported Irish, and later the native Irish, and really just about everybody floating down the River of Guinness in between.

Aldo’s very serious looking translator guy became the vicar of vicarious, and you know something? He loved it.

"It was crazy," he says. "It was awesome. We got to travel. We forgot about time and where we were. We just lived in the moment every day. Every step of the way it was crazy. The fans were crazy. You just had to deal with it, but it was definitely fun. Aldo enjoyed it too."

Almeida found himself translating words -- for the best featherweight mixed martial artist the world has yet known -- that wouldn’t be suitable for bathroom walls. And just as suddenly the sound of his own voice was enough to incite pandemonium. By the last leg in Dublin, he was just another part of the theater. If looks could kill, Almeida would have offed McGregor long before the World Tour reached his native land. It was clear he didn’t care for the Irishman’s behavior, and he didn’t hide the fact behind those daggers.

All of this couldn’t have been ideal with a fight just two weeks out. Then again, it was perhaps the best thing that has ever happened to the 25-year-old Almeida in his professional career. It became a global training camp.

"I was able to train as we traveled, like in Toronto, we had the Muay Thai gym," Almeida says. "Aldo’s friendly with those guys so we went over there and got to train. In London, we trained at the hotel. We were able to train on the go."

He was also able to make acquaintances with key UFC personnel, too, such as Dana White, who mediated at each port along the way. And now his WSOF bout with the fellow New Englander Foster might become a showcase for what Almeida hopes will become his future boss.

Suddenly the stakes a little higher, and people are paying a little more attention.

"It’s cool to get this fight with WSOF…but at the end of the day I took it because it’ll be at Foxwoods, which is an hour away," he says. "I’m fighting a guy that I wanted to fight locally anyway, so it worked out. It’s a one-fight deal. So I’ll go in there, and I’ll do what I got to do, finish this, and then give Uncle Dana a call. I’ll be calling him personally after the fight."

A featherweight himself, Almeida trains these days with Carlos Neto BJJ in Boston, with forays at American Top Team as time permits. At one time "The Spider," as he’s called because of his long limbs, trained with Team Noguiera. He’s riding a four-fight winning streak, which kicked off at Bellator 110 when he scored a unanimous decision over Andrew Fisher.

As a fighter, there were moments during the World Tour when he wanted to do away with ceremony and inflict bodily harm on McGregor.

"I wanted to go and slap Conor myself," he says. "Maybe one day. When he snatched [Aldo’s] belt [in Dublin] I should have been quicker. When he went for it, I should have grabbed it and kept it."

How things would have played out if he had will forever be locked in imagination. Almeida was born in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, and moved to the Boston area at age eight. It was there that he took up karate, eventually working his way to a black belt. By ten, he was doing jiu-jitsu and could already speak fluent English. He wrestled for his high school team, and he took up boxing. He went piecemeal through the martial arts before he began to mix them.

In other words, he wouldn’t have been afraid to mix it up with McGregor.

But he was a little afraid of translating some of the messages being sent to Aldo from the open mic moments at these World Tour events.

"Some things I didn’t translate to him, I didn’t pass it down," he says. "I told him the important stuff. When somebody is yelling, ‘Hey Aldo, I got something for you…you’re a b*tch, you’re a p*ssy,’ I’m not going to turn to him and tell him that. That’s the greatest featherweight of all time. You can’t be disrespectful like that. He doesn’t know what they’re saying, so I just don’t pass it down. He would tell me what he wanted to get across, what he wanted to say and I would. That’s it."

And it was Almeida who told Aldo he should greet the crowd in Ireland with a message that he was the "king of Dublin," the sentiment that nearly tipped the whole thing into hysteria and ended with McGregor snatching the belt.

"We were up in the room before we came down, and we were talking," Almeida says. "I was like, man, you’re the king. Why don’t you just say you’re the king of Dublin? And [Aldo] was talking about how it always rains in Dublin, and when he came he brought the sunshine, because the sun came out a little bit. But when we go down there, the first question goes to him. And he starts out by saying he’s the king of Dublin and the thing about the sun and rain. Then everybody goes crazy, and Conor jumps up...it was a little bit crazy there from that point."

No matter what happens after his fight with Foster, Almeida isn’t done assisting Aldo. In May he will head down to Rio de Janeiro, to Aldo’s camp at Nova Uniao, and help the featherweight champion prepare to defend his belt.

How?

By emulating McGregor, the larger-than-life figure who, inadvertently, gave him a share of the spotlight to begin with.

"I have a style like Conor, I can spar like that, I can train like that," he says. 
"So, that’ll be pretty cool."

As will the memory of this strange moment in time when training for Chris Foster became translating the public crossfire between Ireland and Brazil.

Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting article on Aldo's translator, Saul Almeida, who has a one fight deal in WSOF:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/7/8366361/following-ufc-189-world-tour-saul-almeida-interprets-the-new-spotlight

Yeah that's the only way I knew he was fighting tonight after reading this, will follow him now he seemed like a cool dude. Straight to the UFC by the looks of things!

Well Saul is pretty terrible. Fairly shocked he got the nod there that's terrible judging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Brian Rogers v Joey Beltran was a great scrap on the Bellator prelims. Very enjoyable and close fight.

Beltran won by majority decision. Had it scored for Rogers myself but a very tight fight.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/15/8420649/phil-davis-close-to-signing-with-bellator-mma

Phil Davis close to signing with the UFC, always liked Davis but he was never consistent. Would love for Bellator to sign a few more of the UFCs bigger names and get a bit more competitive!

ASOT wrote: »
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/15/8420649/phil-davis-close-to-signing-with-bellator-mma

Phil Davis close to signing with the UFC, always liked Davis but he was never consistent. Would love for Bellator to sign a few more of the UFCs bigger names and get a bit more competitive!

Anddddddd its official he signed for them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Anddddddd its official he signed for them today.

Big coup for Bellator. Davis was probably two expensive as a gatekeeper for the UFC. Him v Liam McGeary would be a good fight, and a great indication to see where McGeary is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

delighted for davis...good riddance

• Advertisement

never liked him, fcuker was too consistent but never exciting
    he made john fitch look exciting

Ben Askern's title defence was stopped about 3 minutes in due to an eye poke. Ben was clearly losing the fight too. Had multiple takedown attempts stuffed.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Ben Askern's title defence was stopped about 3 minutes in due to an eye poke. Ben was clearly losing the fight too. Had multiple takedown attempts stuffed.

Yeah Santos was really making use of the soccer kicks when he stuffed the TDs , in fairness to ben when he did get him down he done what he does best and looked unreal on the ground before the thumb in the eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yeah Santos was really making use of the soccer kicks when he stuffed the TDs , in fairness to ben when he did get him down he done what he does best and looked unreal on the ground before the thumb in the eye!
    Is bellator on Sky TV yet?

Yep, well sort of. It's shown on Spike, Spikes been added to the English guide but not the Irish guide, but it can be tuned into other channels like ITV etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yep, well sort of. It's shown on Spike, Spikes been added to the English guide but not the Irish guide, but it can be tuned into other channels like ITV etc :)

Ye I saw it being advertised for channel 160 but was pissed off it wasn't t coming up for me.
    Any idea of the codes and frequency?

thank you
    I didnt know I had it already, always wanted that channel

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ye I saw it being advertised for channel 160 but was pissed off it wasn't t coming up for me.
    Any idea of the codes and frequency?

On mobile atm so not at home to get it but it's over in the sattelite forum that's where got it!
    mailburner wrote: »
    thank you
    I didnt know I had it already, always wanted that channel

Yeah its handy to have on the telly saves me depending on streams now :pac:

10.964 H 22.0 5/6 DVB-S QPSK is the frequency for Spike lads.

Couldn't find a stream for ONEFC anywhere today. Wasn't one online searching. Caposa on twitter then tweeted one right before the Askern fight, It was on Premier Sports!

• Advertisement

EFC_Africa_fightcard_Igeu_Kabesa_vs_Peter_Queally.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

One FC live on Setanta Sports 1.

Fight card:
    Michal Materla vs. Tomasz Drwal (Middleweight title fight)
    Mariusz Pudzianowski vs. Rolles Gracie
    Karol Bedort vs. Peter Graham
    Goran Reljic vs. Attila Vegh
    Maciej Jewtuszko vs. Kamil Szymuszowski
    Jay Silva vs. Aziz Karaoglu
    Karol Celinski vs. Tomasz Narkun
    Patryk Grudniewski vs. Grzegorz Szulakowski
    Jedrzej Mackowlak vs. Marcin Gulas

KSW 31 takes place on May 23rd at the Ergo Arena in Gdansk, Poland. The event can be purchased and viewed on KSWTV.com.

KSW-31-Materla-vs-Drwal-300x200.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

KSW has a pretty nice presentation actually, looks like a big crowd too

Yeah very good, the usual eurovision ring entrance vibe you get with these countries!.

Plenty of finishes so far too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Met Tomasz Drwal at UFC 93. Really really nice guy. Always look out for his fights. Hopefully he can win tonight and get back in the UFC. He hasn't lost since being cut.

Well if he wins today he'll probably be fighting Khalidov next I guess, which would be a pretty tough fight

• Advertisement

Dangerous move by Vegh there, but it paid off

Advertisement