Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Great fight, so evenly matched

Can't call it Tex split my guess

Who will gaethje get next after this impressive performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well that was quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He made that look very very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

That was never in doubt. Cowboy is a fun fighter but he is a gatekeeper. Nothing more. JG and Tony are the only fighters I see who could possibly cause Khabib some kind of problem.

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote:
    Who will gaethje get next after this impressive performance?
    I think McGregor is his next fight if Conor comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor is going to be fuming that he got blanked in another post fight interview. He's becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing week.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think McGregor is his next fight if Conor comes back.

You are probably right and I'd love to see him ko mcgregor but this is conor's title eliminator fight right now. This imo has to be the next fight for conor.
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    McGregor is going to be fuming that he got blanked in another post fight interview. He's becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing week.

Nail on head there :pac:

dustin made the mistake of being respectful to mcgregor :o

Whelo79 wrote:
    Do you know Conor, is that how he reacts if he is not mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Getting sick of listening to cowboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Out of Conor, Tony, and Khabib, i think Conor is the worst match up for him. Khabib is probably the best for him, if his defensive wrestling holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Getting sick of listening to cowboy

Agreed. I don't know where this 'fan favorite' schtick comes from (social media stats?). He's not particularly clever on the mic and doesn't really have all that an attractive fighting style compared to Ferguson or Wonderboy (for instance).

I guess he wears a hat and drinks cold beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

cowboy, he needs to retire, he's just cannon fodder, I feel sorry for his wife and kids, who'll probably be found shot dead by cowboy in 9 years. Probably Mc Gregors next fight cos cowboy is poor as fvck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Macdarack wrote: »
    cowboy, he needs to retire, he's just cannon fodder, I feel sorry for his wife and kids, who'll probably be found shot dead by cowboy in 9 years. Probably Mc Gregors next fight cos cowboy is poor as fvck.

What are you on about? He's lost his last two fights to two people that are being discussed for a title shot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Cowboy is always someone's tune up to a big fight. He's a glorified mid carder.

I agree, he should pack it in. Last I heard he had one or two sound business investments so for the sake of his health, hang 'em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

What are you on about? He's lost his last two fights to two people that are being discussed for a title shot

8 of his last 10 fights were fight night events, and he's lost 6 of those 10, he's just a bait bag I think. I'd love to see what money he's on, I'd say he'd fight for his hotel room. Harsh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gaethje is an animal. McGregor doesn't want to go anywhere near him as he knows he will end the hype once and for all.

Gaethje should wait it out and fight the winner of khabib vs Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

ricero wrote: »
    Gaethje is an animal. McGregor doesn't want to go anywhere near him as he knows he will end the hype once and for all.

Too much money on the table against McGregor for him to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Macdarack wrote: »
    8 of his last 10 fights were fight night events, and he's lost 6 of those 10, he's just a bait bag I think. I'd love to see what money he's on, I'd say he'd fight for his hotel room. Harsh?

Agreed

Btw - it’s been noted here in the past, but Cowboy is one of the biggest suckers in history.

He’s obv on ‘good’ money now.. but for a guy that has fought so many times for the company and done them a million favours at short notice, in reality his salary is embarrassing.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote:
    He goes no.4 after last night. McGregor is ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Think Mcgregor has to win a fight to even be considered.

Gaethje is on a tear, three first round ko's in a row and a fan-friendly fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cowboy fights too much that's his biggest problem, trying to be a company man and he's really a punch bag for the higher ranked guys. He took a beating off Ferguson only 2 months ago and you can gaurantee he'll fight again before the end of the year.

He's not an elite fighter, he can't take himself seriously so don't know why anyone else would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

In the entirely subjective rankings compiled by a collection of people whose knowledge is questionable at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Still Ill wrote: »
    Why didn't he take the full five though? Weird.

There is no 5min for an eye poke. Ref should have actually called the doctor in earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

ricero wrote: »

You think Mcgregor wouldnt be able to pick Gaethje apart?

If that fight does happen I say its the first time we will see Gaethje use his wrestling

If that fight does happen I say its the first time we will see Gaethje use his wrestling

He'd have some success early on I reckon given he can take a punch and I believe justin will keep it standing.
    How long he could hang with justin is what I'm unsure of.

It would be a great fight if it ever happened.

This is something else for connelly to be fair, that 1lb pereira was over
    worked out to be a costly one but what a debut that was.
    I'd imagine it'll be a long time before he sees a payday like this again.

Tristan Connelly: $125,900 ($10,000 to show, $10,000 win bonus, $2,400 from Pereira for missing weight, $100,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $3,500 fight week incentive pay)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Whelo79 wrote: »

Irrelevant yet almost every post here mentions him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Personally I feel that prime Conor, the one who knocked out Aldo and embarrassed Alvarez would be a serious proposition for Gaethje. He had incredible timing, accuracy and a really dangerous left hand. He can also fight going backwards and had a mental warfare game second to none. 2015/16 Conor would have stopped Gaethje whose approach at that time was simply to wade forward like a zombie and batter his opponents into submission without any regard for his own safety. There is just no way you could have given Conor that many opportunities to hit you and survived.

But I believe the version of Mcgregor that showed up against Khabib would get demolished. He has been out of the game for so long and stagnated or even regressed, while others like JG have stayed active and actually improved. The latter is on a tear at the moment and has real momentum while CM has fought once in the last 3 years and got destroyed. I know its a cliche at this stage, but all that early success and money really seems to have sated his hunger and derailed his mma career. I could be wrong, but I think Conor gets smoked by any of Khabib, Tony or Justin. As much as I loved the old Conor, I think the Mcregor era is clearly over.

Advertisement