Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Write Off Expense to Develop Piece of Land

• 13-04-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hello All,

Perhaps someone can offer a view on the following situation:

I am thinking of developing a small piece of my property and rent it to a local business. Developing the land so that it is rentable will cost about EUR10k. This development funding will be paid for from after tax money from my day job.

The question is will I be able to write off the first EUR10k in rental income against the expense of developing the land? So in essence no tax is due on the first EUR10k of rental income?

If this is the case, does this have to happen in the same tax year or there is no time limit?

I will consult a tax professional before I proceed with anything but it would be good to get a quick view of someone in the know.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/rental-income/irish-rental-income/what-expenses-are-not-allowed.aspx

Pre-letting expenses on rental property are excluded other than the exceptions listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Thanks for the info. Nice to see Revenue supporting investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Thanks for the info. Nice to see Revenue supporting investment.

You might get to claim the cost as a deduction against a capital gain if you were to sell in future, as it sounds like enhancement of the asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

you could consider renting the property as it is without spending the money renovating it but offering the tenant a rent free period if they were to develop it. eg the annual rent is €20k a year and you charge €10k for the first year.
    There will be drawbacks to doing it this way as the property may not be attractive to everyone but it is an option worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

duffysfarm wrote: »
    you could consider renting the property as it is without spending the money renovating it but offering the tenant a rent free period if they were to develop it. eg the annual rent is €20k a year and you charge €10k for the first year.
    There will be drawbacks to doing it this way as the property may not be attractive to everyone but it is an option worth considering

Thanks for the suggestion. It is actually some land that needs some ground works and concrete poured to make it usable for renting so the work would need to happen before it is rented. Food for thought, maybe not all the work needs to happen before it is rented and your suggestion could partially work.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement