Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2018, 22:35   #16
Jessie Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricola View Post
800 posts in 11 years. I'd give you 1 out of 10 for effort.
Well said.....its a chat forum and people start threads to generate interest and discussion. If you aren't interested don't post. If you are make a valid/jokey/borderline shyte post.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 22:35   #17
Richard Hillman

Would only ever go probably once every 3-4 years. I can't stand bad cinema etiquette. Completely ruins the film.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:36   #18
Guy:Incognito

I like the small screens for certain films when it suits.

New blockbuster stuff I like to see on main screens so I'll make a choice to do that.

As for queuing, do any cinemas not have the option to buy your own tickets at the self service kiosks that you also use to collect tickets bought online?

I mostly go to Dundrum (for the mezz usually) , or lifted valley and Stella. Havnt had any screen issues.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:37   #19
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

The single worst thing that's happened in cinemas in the past few years is merging the ticket and food/drink queues. Everything just takes ages now (yeah, I know I could buy my tickets online and skip the queue, but I can't buy popcorn online yet ).
08-11-2018, 22:38   #20
CinemaGuy45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
I like the small screens for certain films when it suits.

New blockbuster stuff I like to see on main screens so I'll make a choice to do that.

As for queuing, do any cinemas not have the option to buy your own tickets at the self service kiosks that you also use to collect tickets bought online?
I was in a cinema and all of these kiosks were out of order.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 22:39   #21
dulux99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaGuy45 View Post
Which one is that might give it a try?
The one in Cork but I think there's a couple in Dublin. they've pumped serious money into the one down here. Similar to yourself I probably go to the cinema on average 3 times a month and the facility itself is fantastic but unfortunately you can't legislate for annoying pricks in there sometimes, but such is life.

I also buy my tickets online before going in, it's allocated seating so you pick the actual seats you want which is great. If you don't bother with the cinema popcorn, which I don't usually, you just stroll straight in with the ticket on an email on your phone.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:39   #22
Ash.J.Williams

Tallaght has a good selection of movies and it's a quality cinema... The issue for me is it has become a social club for wankers with no interest in the movies
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:41   #23
Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajamma View Post
Cinema is never going to be beaten in terms of experience, that collective participation in a film where everyone is along for the ride. Golden.
This is one of the downsides for me. Having to worry about having gumps around me. I'd rather an empty cinema.
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:42   #24
Noveight

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody in the Stella there in recent weeks.

Really enjoyed the experience, would recommend it to anyone.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 22:44   #25
AllForIt

Love going to the cimema but rarely go there days due to big TV and convenience I suppose.

I also unfortunately live in an area now that is largly working class and I dont like sitting beside some of them because of the way the are on the fone and talking. And eating that smelly popcorn.

Last edited by AllForIt; 08-11-2018 at 22:49.
08-11-2018, 22:46   #26
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
This is one of the downsides for me. Having to worry about having gumps around me. I'd rather an empty cinema.
I probably go to the cinema 6 times a year, maybe more depending. But I have seriously thought about building a phone jammer. It can be done for very cheap.

Bring it along in my pocket, sit down, turn it on. I wish every cinema had this built-in to be honest. Instead of asking fools to do the right thing, just don't give them the option.

You think you might get an emergency call? Don't go to the cinema.

Youre expecting an email about a job? Don't go to the cinema.

Youre trying to arrange meeting friends afterwards? Do it beforehand or don't go to the cinema.

Youre not really interested in the particular film? Don't go to the cinema.

Youre there to talk with friends? Don't go to the cinema.

Youre phone is more interesting than the cinema? Don't go to the cinema.
08-11-2018, 22:46   #27
CinemaGuy45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noveight View Post

The only gripe I have about the Stella is the centre speech track is set way too low and underpowered.
Being in the Stella twice and noticed this each time.

If they could fix this the Stella would be pure cinema heaven.
08-11-2018, 22:48   #28
starlit

Not necessarily! Some nights are quieter than others but If some cinemas do a special deal or discount on a specific day or deal meal they will do quiet well but I think the tax rate of 13.5% has be issued for the cinema unfortunately. Rates vary when time of day film is on and what rates is for adults/kids/students for Omniplex cinemas anyway but the cost of going to cinema has gone up over the years alright but there are a few that do a discount day. I only go unless there is a particular film I want to see so only go a few times a year.
08-11-2018, 22:49   #29
wakka12

Nah, I love the event of going to the cinema with friends. Something so nice about going out to see a new film youre really excited to see, buying a load of snacks you usually dont eat, just doesnt compare to sitting at home in the boring old sitting room

Theres plenty of nice cinemas, IFI is lovely, dundrum is nice too,I dont really care though what the cinema is like, I go for the movie

And in reference to this question
Quote:
are cinemas on the way to becoming extinct?
I think this answers it..

Quote:
Lines for food are ridiculous in many of the suburban multiplexes and many times you have to queue behind large groups getting snacks and drinks just to get a ticket.
So many times I go to the cinema all seats are booked out, Stella cinema some movies are booked out weeks in advance, Two new cinemas opening in charlemont and hawkins street within next couple years in dublin, itll be a long time before theyre extinct if they havnt gone extinct by now

Last edited by wakka12; 08-11-2018 at 22:53.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:52   #30
James 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noveight View Post

How much is the Stella, went to Savoy 2 weeks ago and paid 12 euro, but they have made a dogs dinner of whole place.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion