Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Are we being totally ripped off or not?
The Emperors new clothes are fabulous! 16 26.67%
The Emperors penis is tiny! 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

09-11-2018, 00:22   #106
Raichu
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus Horribilis View Post
It's not quite consumer technology but I can't get over how pricey modern day computer games are
I wonder how you’d feel about knowing how much they cost to make.
Advertisement
09-11-2018, 00:33   #107
Billy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
Unless you owned a galaxy note in which case you went BOOM!!!!!
Only the 7 if I recall. I got a note 3 in 2013 that was still working as good as new up until I lost it about 2mo back.
09-11-2018, 01:15   #108
The Floyd p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamxavier View Post
Snapdragon 801? I did say flagship pal, not a 4 year old chip. That phone is a joke, like that Kickstarter that wanted replaceable parts across the board, living in a fairy tale.
09-11-2018, 01:41   #109
Greyfox

Quote:
It's not quite consumer technology but I can't get over how pricey modern day computer games are
I actually find games to be amazing value for money. It's easy to pay €10 -€15 for a brilliant game that will entertain you for 100 hours.
09-11-2018, 01:44   #110
babi-hrse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Absolute and utter nonsense. Apple products are expensive but they are superior. I wouldn’t touch an android phone or a windows laptop.
You obviously havn't watched rossman repair videos. MacBook pros being made with glue and not actually a single aluminium unibody. With heatsink heating the glue making the thing slowly come apart at the seams. Or the iPhone that looses signal when you held it in your hand. Or the one with soft aluminium that bent in your arse pocket. Hardware wise it's on par (in many cases it's got some last generation tech as r and d takes time that latest generation components used during testing would have been replaced newer stuff.
software's got a seamless operating system but anything that was only designed to run on one machine optimized for such configuration of hardware would. As rossman said. Anyone who walks into a repair shop and gets told that such and such was a manufacturing defect and should be covered under warranty they would go that's such a shoddy design flaw I'm never buying one again whereas an iPhone user says nothing and buys another one. In the end it's just personal preference but don't delude yourself on that price tag.
Advertisement
09-11-2018, 02:26   #111
Ursus Horribilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I actually find games to be amazing value for money. It's easy to pay €10 -€15 for a brilliant game that will entertain you for 100 hours.
I'm not talking about games that cost €10-€15. It's the ones that are €60-€70. They'd want to be brilliant at that sort of money.
Thanks from:
09-11-2018, 03:13   #112
Billy86

Quote:
I'm not talking about games that cost €10-€15. It's the ones that are €60-€70. They'd want to be brilliant at that sort of money.
Those ones can usually be had for 10-20 after a few months to be fair.
09-11-2018, 05:01   #113
Canis Lupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babi-hrse View Post
You obviously havn't watched rossman repair videos. MacBook pros being made with glue and not actually a single aluminium unibody. With heatsink heating the glue making the thing slowly come apart at the seams. Or the iPhone that looses signal when you held it in your hand. Or the one with soft aluminium that bent in your arse pocket. Hardware wise it's on par (in many cases it's got some last generation tech as r and d takes time that latest generation components used during testing would have been replaced newer stuff.
software's got a seamless operating system but anything that was only designed to run on one machine optimized for such configuration of hardware would. As rossman said. Anyone who walks into a repair shop and gets told that such and such was a manufacturing defect and should be covered under warranty they would go that's such a shoddy design flaw I'm never buying one again whereas an iPhone user says nothing and buys another one. In the end it's just personal preference but don't delude yourself on that price tag.
The most recent Macbook pro throttles performance because of overheating as well.
09-11-2018, 06:35   #114
mfceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
if its got a removable battery it also won't be waterproof
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that has a removable battery and is waterproof.
Advertisement
09-11-2018, 06:52   #115
Vox Nihili

Chromebook. You can get one starting around €200, very durable (especially the Dell models aimed at students), zero problems with viruses, great security, battery life is incredible (over 12 hours on some models).

I've seen people pay ten times that for an Apple laptop to surf the internet and send emails.
Thanks from:
09-11-2018, 07:39   #116
Patww79

It's currently 3-3 in the big Android v Apple match and there's been some crowd trouble.
09-11-2018, 07:46   #117
tritriagain

Love setting up and pushing gadgets to the limit but can honestly say I'd never buy an Apple product . As a marketing company they are exceptional. They're products are designed so that when something goes wrong you upgrade to next model. I know most co.s have this to a degree but Apple are pretty much top of the pile. Also what tech do we really need. After damaging numerous "good" phones I purchased a 100 euro smart phone and can honestly say I notice very little differences in performance from my old phone. And it can certainly do everything the old phone did.
09-11-2018, 07:50   #118
Patww79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritriagain View Post
Love setting up and pushing gadgets to the limit but can honestly say I'd never buy an Apple product . As a marketing company they are exceptional. They're products are designed so that when something goes wrong you upgrade to next model. I know most co.s have this to a degree but Apple are pretty much top of the pile. Also what tech do we really need. After damaging numerous "good" phones I purchased a 100 euro smart phone and can honestly say I notice very little differences in performance from my old phone. And it can certainly do everything the old phone did.
It can do everything to a certain level, but it definitely couldn't be claimed it's the same. If that works for you then that's the only thing that's important though.
Thanks from:
09-11-2018, 07:57   #119
tritriagain

Oh I agree totally not the same. But I would argue that for say 400 euro more what you're getting does not justify the money.
09-11-2018, 09:25   #120
murpho999

Quote:
Originally Posted by limnam View Post
Yeah to make use of the abundance of 4k sources...

oh wait
X Box One X games are 4k.

Also, Netflix originals, of which I watch plenty, are 4k and some are HDR. You need to have Netflix Premium.

Sky broadcast 4k Premiership and programmes too.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion