Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2018, 17:40   #16
RobbingBandit

I'm going through a very difficult health journey at the moment which on the outside looking in is major malpractice and negligence on several sides however from my point of view I'd rather keep my foot/leg/ability to walk than sue the ****e out of ignorant blaise doctors and a ****e health system.

What use is money if it costs you you're quality of life due to the system not willing or being able to listen to you, sometimes I think throwing money at these cases makes the wheel keep turning but when you are faced with a life altering situation that has to be done by the books then you are ****ed as it's their way or no way.

Last edited by RobbingBandit; 08-11-2018 at 17:46.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 17:47   #17
kneemos

You hear about the odd case and think we'll sometimes mistakes get made. Never imagined there could be thousands of cases in the pipeline.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 18:04   #18
YFlyer

[quote="Allinall;108574658"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFlyer View Post
British billion is not used anymore.[/quote

Used €1,400 Million in calculation
You're out by 10 times.
08-11-2018, 18:05   #19
YFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
A thousand million used to be a billion. Nine zeros.
Still is.
08-11-2018, 18:15   #20
SEPT 23 1989

Have you seen some of the states kids were left in for life over medical fcuk ups?

I don't begrudge their parents a cent
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 18:16   #21
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSurfer View Post
This and an average of €20,000 for whiplash, half a million to somebody for falling off a Luas while Luas surfing. We are all paying for the massive compensation payments, both for actual injury and “emotional” injury through higher costs for every product and service.

The untouchable legal profession remains unreformed and self regulated even after recommendations going back decades and scathing criticism of exorbitant legal costs from the Troika.

I have every sympathy for those who have suffered through accident or medical negligence but I believe a large percentage of compensation moneys paid out are due to excessive legal fees and fraudulent claims.
So you're complaining about compensation given to the victims of medical negligence and complaining about lawyers, but not complaining about the health service? And you're doing all of that without actually showing us the reason those people were awarded over a million each.

Is this all in your head?
08-11-2018, 18:25   #22
gctest50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSurfer View Post

I have every sympathy for those who have suffered through accident or medical negligence but I believe a large percentage of compensation moneys paid out are due to excessive legal fees and fraudulent claims.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-new...-37503674.html.

The judgment noted the doctor never previously worked in any paid capacity in any other hospital anywhere and two consultants said he did not meet the "most basic" standards of competence of doctors practising "at this very junior level".

Some of his junior colleagues here said they witnessed "wild" clinical assessments by him, made without taking any history or examining a patient.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 18:26   #23
marthabarry

Some claims are warranted and well deserved but some are ridiculous. Personal responsibility is gone out the window - someone else is always to blame!
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 18:29   #24
Wesser

Personal injury is different to medical negligence.

Medical indemnity insurance now so expensive that unaffordable my most doctors who are not public employees.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 18:30   #25
Franz Von Peppercorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
So you're complaining about compensation given to the victims of medical negligence and complaining about lawyers, but not complaining about the health service? And you're doing all of that without actually showing us the reason those people were awarded over a million each.

It’s a cost to the state caused by incompetence, but what’s happening to the incompetent?
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 18:30   #26
Noveight

To pay out half a million to a woman who admitted liability was significant.

It almost says "we were at fault for not protecting you from yourself."
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 18:32   #27
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctest50 View Post
https://amp.independent.ie/irish-new...-37503674.html.

The judgment noted the doctor never previously worked in any paid capacity in any other hospital anywhere and two consultants said he did not meet the "most basic" standards of competence of doctors practising "at this very junior level".

Some of his junior colleagues here said they witnessed "wild" clinical assessments by him, made without taking any history or examining a patient.
I have a relative who's a doctor in a hospital and has to testify at cases like that. He's basically testified against doctors and even against the HSE for avoidable mistakes.
08-11-2018, 18:33   #28
Franz Von Peppercorn

Quote:
I have a relative who's a doctor in a hospital and has to testify at cases like that. He's basically testified against doctors and even against the HSE for avoidable mistakes.
How do they get hired? Is there any probation? Why even need a court case?
08-11-2018, 18:48   #29
erica74

I think it's a bit unfair to lump medical negligence in with mickey mouse whiplash claims (not all whiplash claims are mickey mouse) and that muppet who fell off the luas.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 18:49   #30
SafeSurfer

Quote:

Did you read my post? I said I sympathize with those who suffered as a result of medical negligence or injury. However the amount of the claims is exaggerated because of excessive legal costs.

For example in the army deafness claims over a third of the money paid out was in legal fees, despite them being pretty much copy and paste cases. I think that is excessive.
Also many solicitors were found to have double charged on their fees, yet no action was ever taken.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion