Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2018, 09:12   #31
AlphabetCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by judestynes View Post
Ireland is a nuetral country Britain isn't. Young people join foreign militaries be they British , American or French do so because they want to see combat, loyalty doesn't come into it. As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.
that's very simplistic
Aye, but in my experience it is true. Most lads from Ireland who joined the forces did so to go on tour.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 09:12   #32
Topathemornin
Banned

This post has been deleted.
17-10-2018, 09:15   #33
Omackeral

Also, if you don't consume British media by the geansai-load, you probably won't have to encounter this all that much. Switch off SKY/BBC if the presence of a red flower gets to you.
17-10-2018, 09:15   #34
razorblunt

PoppyWatch on twitter is worth a follow for the time of year we're in.
Brings out all the gammon heads.
(3) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 09:21   #35
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post
PoppyWatch on twitter is worth a follow for the time of year we're in.
Brings out all the gammon heads.

not sure what it means or who it refers to but it sounds like my type of insult
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 09:22   #36
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Churchill said that without them the war would not have been won; Hitler would have taken over
Churchill said a lot of things!

There were a lot of reasons the Axis countries lost - sheer overstretching themselves, the Russian winter, Allied access to penicillin, the Manhattan project even (although you could argue the war was already won by the time it was deployed)

27,000 Paddies made precious little difference I'm afraid!
17-10-2018, 09:22   #37
Maryanne84

To me the Poppy represents the futility of war. It doesn’t matter the race, religion or political beliefs of those killed, either civilians or those in the armed forces. Some comments on this thread show that nothing had changed. People still see things differently and react with hostility to the beliefs of others.
Make love, not war.
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 09:27   #38
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
To me the Poppy represents the futility of war. It doesn’t matter the race, religion or political beliefs of those killed, either civilians or those in the armed forces. Some comments on this thread show that nothing had changed. People still see things differently and react with hostility to the beliefs of others.
Make love, not war.
that's not its intended purpose though - you can't just decide for yourself what the intention of the symbol is..
17-10-2018, 09:28   #39
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphabetCards View Post
Based on your experiences of what, exactly?
On the fact that people who consider themselves modern and progressive tend not to bother all that much with symbols that represent political or nationalist-based ideas of historical warfare.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 09:29   #40
Ragnar Lothbrok

Quote:
Ireland is a nuetral country Britain isn't. Young people join foreign militaries be they British , American or French do so because they want to see combat, loyalty doesn't come into it. As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.
So again, the question is: IF Britain for some reason invaded Ireland, what would these Irish soldiers in the British army do then? So, yes, loyalty DOES come into it. Would they blindly follow orders or would they risk court martial and possible execution?

In no way would working for a commercial enterprise ever create the same possibility of conflict of loyalties between country and employer.

Yes, I know this is all highly unlikely, but I had to continue this to show the ridiculousness of equating a foreign military with a foreign company.
17-10-2018, 09:32   #41
sbsquarepants

Quote:
As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.
No it's not, you clown!

Intel aren't going to tell you to climb in a helicopter and bomb a settlement somewhere in the Khyber pass, because there's a 25% chance that Tim Cook is in the big tent on the left!

Don't be ridiculous. Fighting armies deal in death, destruction and misery, not stocks, bonds and quarterly reports.

You're absolutely right insofar as at the end of the day, it is always about money, but that's where the similarity ends.
17-10-2018, 09:33   #42
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
Churchill said a lot of things!

There were a lot of reasons the Axis countries lost - sheer overstretching themselves, the Russian winter, Allied access to penicillin, the Manhattan project even (although you could argue the war was already won by the time it was deployed)

27,000 Paddies made precious little difference I'm afraid!
what a terrible way to see brave men. and what your post says about you. yeeeeeeeuuuuuuuurkkkkkkkkkk
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 09:35   #43
Wheety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Give me their addresses and I will.
And what will you do? Send a strongly worded letter?
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 09:36   #44
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
what a terrible way to see brave men. and what your post says about you. yeeeeeeeuuuuuuuurkkkkkkkkkk
?
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 09:40   #45
KaneToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
Make love, not war.
To me it represents unicorns jumping through rainbows and sugarplum fairies dancing on icicles.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion