Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2018, 08:48   #16
judestynes

Send a message via Yahoo to judestynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patww79 View Post
Their passports should instantly be ripped to shreds as soon as they sign up. The actual Irish ones I mean.
Why? It's no different than leaving to work on oil fields in the middle east or construction, engineering or any other oppurtunity anywhere else in the world. Should they have their passports ripped up too? If the opportunities were here people would stay here but they aren't.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 08:48   #17
Ragnar Lothbrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
27,000 Irish men served in WW2. Both those living in the UK and Irish here.

Churchill said that without them the war would not have been won; Hitler would have taken over

Many of these Irish gave their lives in the war for freedom from oppression.

Time and past time to give world wide thanks for our freedom together
I think the 20-odd million lives lost by the USSR was perhaps slightly more responsible for preventing "Hitler taking over"
17-10-2018, 08:51   #18
AlphabetCards

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
Huge numbers of Irish born served in both wars.

Including my grandfather (born in Moville) who ended up as captain of a corvette.

When he was invalided out in '42 he retired back to Moville again.

Was massively proud of his service for the rest of his life.

there are still numerous Irish born (North and South) serving in the British forces.
Their passports should instantly be ripped to shreds as soon as they sign up. The actual Irish ones I mean.
Come and take mine, hard man.
For the record, despite having served in HM Forces, I will only wear my poppy on the day before and day of Rememberance, unless I really have a change in mind. I'm not happy with how it has been co-opted by celebrities and politicians to virtue signal that they are 'standing with the troops'. Especially the latter, they could not give a solitary toss.
17-10-2018, 08:53   #19
Ragnar Lothbrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by judestynes View Post
Why? It's no different than leaving to work on oil fields in the middle east or construction, engineering or any other oppurtunity anywhere else in the world. Should they have their passports ripped up too? If the opportunities were here people would stay here but they aren't.
Completely different in my opinion. Working in a commercial industry is not the same as working for a foreign military.

Where would the loyalty of the Irish in the British armed forces really lie, in the hugely unlikely scenario that British military forces take action against Ireland in the future?
(5) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 08:53   #20
corner of hells

Quote:
That's a great idea , nothing prooves a point better than tearing something apart

We could rip up their birth certs too , to show how forward thinking and progressive we've become .
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 08:53   #21
FTA69

I wish people would shut up about WW1 and WW2, that’s not what the poppy commemorates.

It’s a Legion symbol that commemorates ALL soldiers in ALL conflicts and is accompanied by a giant love-in for the British armed forces. Fact.

It’s like every year people stick their fingers in their ears and start shouting la la la.

I think we should commemorate the Irish war dead, but we should have our own symbol and not latch onto a British one with loads of baggage about their colonial conflicts.
17-10-2018, 08:55   #22
murpho999

Why is this debated every year?

The poppy is a British symbol for their war dead. It is also used in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The wars involved many countries all over the world but the vast majority do not use the poppy.

The US, France, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Russia etc all suffered greatly in the wars

Ireland is an independent country now and like any independent country it can remember its war dead how it chooses just like all the other countries.

We do not have to use the poppy which is organised by the "Royal British Legion".

Also, over the last few years the poppy has come to be a British jingoistic and populist symbol that has become compulsory to wear in the UK. Look at the furor over football James McClean refusal to wear it. In my opinion that denies people the liberty of choice that they claimed to have fought for.

We should keep well away from it and it does not show immaturity to not want anything to do with it.
17-10-2018, 08:55   #23
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Quote:
I can see them getting trendier here with the "oooh look how modern and progressive I am" attitude that's infesting the country these days.
"Modern and progressive" and "Royal British Legion" are never going to be part of the same attitude.
17-10-2018, 08:57   #24
BBDBB
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
That's a great idea , nothing prooves a point better than tearing something apart

We could rip up their birth certs too , to show how forward thinking and progressive we've become .

and stamp on the bits thrown on the floor?

come on, lets throw the full tantrum over this

go hard or go home
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 08:59   #25
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_doors View Post
There's a red one with a shamrock now, so is there any more need for debate?
oh good I was looking forward to this year's poppy thread...
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 09:00   #26
AlphabetCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Consuela Bananahammock View Post
Quote:
I can see them getting trendier here with the "oooh look how modern and progressive I am" attitude that's infesting the country these days.
"Modern and progressive" and "Royal British Legion" are never going to be part of the same attitude.
Based on your experiences of what, exactly?
17-10-2018, 09:09   #27
judestynes

Send a message via Yahoo to judestynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
Completely different in my opinion. Working in a commercial industry is not the same as working for a foreign military.

Where would the loyalty of the Irish in the British armed forces really lie, in the hugely unlikely scenario that British military forces take action against Ireland in the future?
Ireland is a nuetral country Britain isn't. Young people join foreign militaries be they British , American or French do so because they want to see combat, loyalty doesn't come into it. As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.
17-10-2018, 09:11   #28
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
27,000 Irish men served in WW2. Both those living in the UK and Irish here.

Churchill said that without them the war would not have been won; Hitler would have taken over

Many of these Irish gave their lives in the war for freedom from oppression.

Time and past time to give world wide thanks for our freedom together
yerra ffs anyone who believes that is seriously fooling themselves.

WWII was ultimately settled by the USSR and the US. And the turning point of the war was Germany's folly into the USSR. Stalingrad alone cost the USSR 1.1m soldiers in deaths and casualties.

But it was the 27000 Irish people...

One only has to look at the number of USAF bases in the UK to understand who really 'won' the war.
17-10-2018, 09:11   #29
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by judestynes View Post
Ireland is a nuetral country Britain isn't. Young people join foreign militaries be they British , American or French do so because they want to see combat, loyalty doesn't come into it. As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.
that's very simplistic
(3) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 09:11   #30
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
Your dead right, no gimmic makes them acceptable, end off.
That whole line hurt my eyes.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion