Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Should we stop bullying the UK?
Yes, they are our neighbor 77 16.24%
Give them 800 years (then stop bullying them) 397 83.76%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

17-10-2018, 23:34   #466
Aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Dublin was been the empire's first oversea's capital. It held a very lofty position in the empire and was most definitely a candidate for the second city. Stop playing the poor mouth. The public transport system in place in 1916 was probably better than it is today.
To be fair, Public transport in 1816 was probably better than today.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-10-2018, 00:09   #467
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Dublin was been the empire's first oversea's capital. It held a very lofty position in the empire and was most definitely a candidate for the second city. Stop playing the poor mouth. The public transport system in place in 1916 was probably better than it is today.
Legend has it that were plans for an underground and Collins was said to have said that he'd have held off the war of independence till they'd built it.

1922 tram lines map makes me weep.

But Dublin was where the Royal Navy came to be serviced. Not the ships. The sailors. Because extreme poverty.

In 1916 the Great Famine was still within living memory. The 1913 lockout wasn't exactly old news either.
(3) thanks from:
18-10-2018, 03:37   #468
riffmongous

Quote:
Parts were likes slum, the same could be said for any major city. Great to see that you've rectified all that since your independence, oh wait!! There were some very well to do parts of Dublin back then.

Well, when you consider some of the major cities that you were grouped with around the world for that accolade, I would think so. Dublin is no bigger than a district in most of those cities. You weren't under any arm, you were part of it.
Ireland's infant mortality rate under the union was noted as being possibly the worst in the (western) world, so not really like any other major city
Thanks from:
18-10-2018, 03:49   #469
Peregrinus

Quote:
Parts were likes slum, the same could be said for any major city.
It wasn't "the same as could be said for any major city". Dublin was famous for having the worst slums in Europe, with the possible exception of Naples.
Just after independence 25% of the population of Dublin lived in accommodation where there was one room or less per family. And this in a country - the UK - which was, at the time, the wealthiest country in the world.

Quote:
Great to see that you've rectified all that since your independence, oh wait!!
Be honest; you have absolutely no idea what has been achieved in housing in Dublin since independence, have you?

Quote:
There were some very well to do parts of Dublin back then.
That rather depends on your definition of "very well to do", I think. But if your measure of social progress is how well the wealthiest in society live, well, that suggests that the attitudes which led to Ireland-in-the-UK being widely regarded as the worst governed country in Europe have not entirely died out in some quarters.
18-10-2018, 04:29   #470
pauldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
It wasn't "the same as could be said for any major city". Dublin was famous for having the worst slums in Europe, with the possible exception of Naples.
Just after independence 25% of the population of Dublin lived in accommodation where there was one room or less per family. And this in a country - the UK - which was, at the time, the wealthiest country in the world.

Be honest; you have absolutely no idea what has been achieved in housing in Dublin since independence, have you?

That rather depends on your definition of "very well to do", I think. But if your measure of social progress is how well the wealthiest in society live, well, that suggests that the attitudes which led to Ireland-in-the-UK being widely regarded as the worst governed country in Europe have not entirely died out in some quarters.
Peregrinus, stop bullying that poster with facts.
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 16:47   #471
Lady Spangles

I think OP's friend is being a tad over-sensitive there. I'm speaking as a Brit myself, btw, so don't mistake this for any Brit-bashing. The British have brought this down on their own heads. They voted for the disaster that is Brexit, they didn't spare a thought for how this would affect Northern Ireland and now they're stuck with the most hopeless and ineffectual government in the country's history. Ever!

In my defence as one of these poor deluded fools myself, I live in the north (of Ireland) and I voted remain. I'm a "remoaner" and will be until I cark it. Honestly, in England in particular, I just don't know what's going on any more. They've all gone mad. Completely mad.
22-10-2018, 00:08   #472
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

The cost of Brexit to the UK so far is £26Bn a year in lost tax revenues.

That's more than NI and EU put together.
(4) thanks from:
22-10-2018, 09:46   #473
badtoro

Brextremists on the ropes, now is the time to double down on the bullying, shake Dunce Davis by the ankles and collect his € & £ liquid lunch money.
09-11-2018, 00:17   #474
Kermit.de.frog

Star Trek foresaw this

Advertisement
09-11-2018, 00:24   #475
Bambi

In the immortal words of Mark Wahlberg: "I'm the best friend you have on this earth you punk and I'm gonna help you understand something"
09-11-2018, 00:49   #476
feargale

Quote:
Never looked upon as inferior, that's all in your head and given the "state of the nation" in 2018 and what has gone in the independent Ireland, I would question your ability to rule. I can point to any number of things such as your child abuse scandals, current housing crisis or repeated economic collapses which have resulted in Irish citizens flocking to that very same empire for a living in their droves, interestingly enough.
Aye. All those scandals. Almost as bad as Amritsar, Suez, Sykes-Picot, Balfour's simultaneous promises to Jews and Arabs, the Zinoviev letter, women and children deceived into travelling in wartime in a ship carrying munitions (Lusitania), forcible transportation of kids to Australia 1920s-1950s (did you mention child abuse?), Derrymandering, Kincora, Churchill's forced famine in India, Dresden, Chuka, Batang Kali, Yarrow (did you mention economic collapse?), the councillor who told Seamus Mallon "no Papist pig will get a house in this town while I'm alive" (did you mention housing?), Aberfan, Profumo, Churchill perpetually pissed amid denigration of the "drunken Irish", the Kray twins and their influential friends, Jeremy Thorpe and Norman Scott, Lord Denning's "appalling vista" coming to fruition, the Guildford Four getting the benefit of "the fairest system of justice in the world", Bloody Sunday and the whitewash, multiple Tory sleazebags in the 1980s and 1990s, the BBC (did you mention child sex abuse?), the Elgin marbles, Cambridge Analytica, RCs barred from the headship of state.

Keep it up, Berserker. King and country, right or wrong,

Last edited by feargale; 09-11-2018 at 13:55.
(3) thanks from:
09-11-2018, 00:52   #477
Berties_Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post

Star Trek foresaw this

You somehow persist with your bullsh1t assertion that we are subjugating the UK with our common sense stance against regressive borders, ushering in the good old days when bombs and indiscriminate murders were fashionable.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion