Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Should we stop bullying the UK?
Yes, they are our neighbor 89 17.62%
Give them 800 years (then stop bullying them) 416 82.38%
Voters: 505. You may not vote on this poll

19-02-2018, 01:18   #1
Kermit.de.frog

Should we stop bullying the United Kingdom?

A British friend of mine told me today he felt Ireland was bullying the UK (I know!)over Brexit.

We can only do it with the help of our gallant allies of course now the UK is leaving and they despise them.

I do feel we may regret it down the road and that the Irish are somewhat awestruck with the sudden power they seem to have over the old foe, the tables turned etc.

It's a mirage - they'll fight on the beaches etc.

But aside from self interest maybe we should be supporting them? Sometimes I feel we are more British than Finchley.

They are our friends.
Advertisement
19-02-2018, 01:22   #2
end of the road

we aren't bullying them, we are looking after our own interests. we must continue to do so. if the uk don't like it tough, they are nice to have as a trade partner but if the worst comes to the worst, we can and will survive without them.
(205) thanks from:
17-pdr, 2forjoy, 2smiggy, A Dub in Glasgo, A Pint of Goo, A.Partridge, Ace Attorney, Aineoil, air assault, alchemist33, AllForIt, ancapailldorcha, AnnaSophia, arodabomb, Aseth, Avatar MIA, ballsymchugh, Bambi985, banie01, barneyeile, bear1, Billy86, Blowfish, bluewolf, Brian?, BuboBubo, bullvine, Cabaal, Calhoun, Caliden, Capt'n Midnight, Captain Obvious, CerebralCortex, Charles Babbage, ChunkyLover54, circadian, coillsaille, Collie D, Colonel Claptrap, Comer1, Contessa Raven, coolisin, corwill, CrabRevolution, Creative83, CrookedJack, CrowdedHouse, DavidLyons_, davycc, Del2005, denartha, Dick phelan, djemba djemba, donspeekinglesh, Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, Duck Soup, Duff, Edgarfrndly, erica74, Fenster, Flex, Flying Fox, fonecrusher1, For Forks Sake, Foxhound38, FoxyVixen, FrKurtFahrt, Fuaranach, GarIT, gerrybbadd, GhostyMcGhost, Glass Prison 1214, Grab All Association, happyoutscan, henryporter, Herb Powell, housetypeb, icarus86, Idle Passerby, iguana, iLikeWaffles, InstaSte, Itssoeasy, JamesL85, jayobray, JCX BXC, JDxtra, jjbrien, johnnyskeleton, jooksavage, JupiterKid, justshane, kingchess, klaz, LaChatteGitane, Larbre34, Lau2976, lazeedaisy, lillielad, listermint, Lithium93_, loalae, lochlach, Lollipops23, Longboard, LuckyLloyd, Lurching, magentis, Mahony0509, mark_jmc, martingriff, marvin80, massdebater, McGaggs, Meleftone, mikeym, mirrorwall14, MOH, mollygreene, MPFGLB, Mrsmum, MsQuinn, Muahahaha, Murray TheDemonic TalkingSkull, mystic86, ngunners, NH2013, nikkibikki, Nomis21, o1s1n, Odhinn, ongarite, P.lane78, padohaodha, Pappacharlie, paulbok, pedatron, Penn, pgj2015, PMC999, Poor_old_gill, questionmark?, R00ster, Ragnar Lothbrok, rainbowtrout, Rawr, Rechuchote, relax carry on, Riddle101, riffmongous, road_high, RobbieTheRobber, Rory28, Rothko, saintsaltynuts, Sand, seamus, SecretsOfEarth, selectamatic, Sexual Chocolate, Shenshen, shnethb, Sierra 117, SilentWings, Sleepy, SnazzyPig, snow_bunny, Somedaythefire, southcentralts, sparklinglens, steddyeddy, strandroad, Suckit, Suckler, Sudden Valley, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, TBi, Ted Plain, Teyla Emmagan, Thephantomsmask, the_pen_turner, The_Valeyard, Thomas_IV, Topgear on Dave, tradhead, Tuco88, tupenny, Umekichi, Unpossible, urban sprawl, Victor, victor8600, VinLieger, Vowel Movement, weemcd, wes, Westernyelp, WesternZulu, Whatsisname, White_hills, WoollyRedHat, WoolyJumper, yermandan, yermanoffthetv, Zebra3
19-02-2018, 01:25   #3
tipp_Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post
A British friend of mine told me today he felt Ireland was bullying the UK (I know!)over Brexit.

We can only do it with the help of our gallant allies of course now the UK is leaving and they despise them.

I do feel we may regret it down the road and that the Irish are somewhat awestruck with the sudden power they seem to have over the old foe, the tables turned etc.

But aside from self interest maybe we should be supporting them? Sometimes I feel we are more British than Finchley.

They are our friends.
Britain have also been our biggest trading market for centuries so Varadkar needs to show some more tact with the media then he is doing or it could really bite us in the ass down the line. There is no telling what could happen next in Europe. Alot of political instability out there and many nations are demanding reform
19-02-2018, 01:26   #4
pgj2015

Quote:

They are our friends.

0:44-0:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TgCkTVtjHU
(2) thanks from:
19-02-2018, 01:27   #5
RobertKK

48% are our friends, the others caused much unneeded problems for everyone, and if we are bullying them over Brexit, tough, I heard a Brexit supporter on TV say how the British empire was a good thing and I think there is a section of Brexit with that mentality.
Down through the centuries our allies have been on the continent, not Britain.
I don't think Brexit was the actions of a friend, they forgot we existed when they were debating about a bus slogan.
They jumped off a cliff and if we have to bully them to avoid them dragging us down with them, so be it.
They have the most idiotic government on this continent.
(103) thanks from:
17-pdr, 2forjoy, 2smiggy, A.Partridge, AllForIt, AnnaSophia, Avatar MIA, Badly Drunk Boy, Bambi985, banie01, barneyeile, Billy86, Blowfish, breatheme, Brian?, Caliden, Captain Obvious, CerebralCortex, Charles Babbage, ChunkyLover54, coillsaille, Contessa Raven, CrabRevolution, DaaaaaaaaaaN, davycc, Del2005, denartha, derfderf, end of the road, EricPraline, Evd-Burner, Flex, For Forks Sake, FoxyVixen, GarIT, gerrybbadd, GhostyMcGhost, Glass Prison 1214, gman127, GritBiscuit, InstaSte, irishrebe, J Mysterio, JayZeus, JCX BXC, jmayo, Juanito13, JupiterKid, keith_sixteen, kingchess, klaz, LaChatteGitane, listermint, Lithium93_, longgonesilver, martingriff, massdebater, McGaggs, megadodge, Meleftone, Midnight_EG, MOH, mollygreene, MPFGLB, Mrsmum, Murray TheDemonic TalkingSkull, my3cents, mystic86, Nomis21, Pappacharlie, Poor_old_gill, PopePalpatine, protosByte, R00ster, Rawr, Rechuchote, relax carry on, riffmongous, road_high, Rothko, saccades, selectamatic, serfboard, Shenshen, Sierra 117, snow_bunny, southcentralts, steddyeddy, stinkle, swampgas, Ted Plain, Teyla Emmagan, Timmaay, Titzon Toast, TOss Sweep, victor8600, Vowel Movement, Westernyelp, Wetbench4, White_hills, yermandan, Zebra3, Zirconia
Advertisement
19-02-2018, 01:29   #6
doolox

Take a leaf from Norway or Switzerland.

They do not have an opinion either way and neither should we.

Uk or their great pals the US can do us a lot of economic damage if we get too uppity as a country and start making life difficult for them. The US could influence a sharp reduction in FDI and tourist spending and really screw us over.

The UK are responsible for 45% of our foreign trade and we cannot afford to lose that.

The reality is that a lot of people in the US and UK are not in favour of Brexit and only are doing it to get votes from the ordinary xenophobic, anti foreigner voter.

The real powers that be would prefer harmony and unity in Europe and the US would prefer to deal with a UK in the EU. The Conservatives and Labour are looking to maintain as much advantage by keeping as close as possible to full membership but they realise that to say so will cost votes and they would sell their mother for votes.
Thanks from:
19-02-2018, 01:32   #7
Junkyard Tom

We're the best friends they have in the EU god love them.
19-02-2018, 01:35   #8
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Tom View Post
We're the best friends they have in the EU god love them.
This is most definitely true.
19-02-2018, 01:40   #9
Peregrinus

Britain is not our biggest trading partner; the US is. I don't know where doolox gets his figures from; the UK accounts for 15% of our exports and 32% of our imports. The notion that we are "bullying" the UK is just laughable and as for Varadkar "showing more tact", well, we tried the softly, softly approach and the UK basically ignored us. If we are now upfront about defending our own interests, that is entirely the result of the UK's policy of ignoring unpleasant realities unless given no choice.

It is possible that there may be some backlash from some quarters in Britain against Ireland for trying to protect our interests. That would not be a reason, however, to give up trying to protect our interests.
(89) thanks from:
17-pdr, 2forjoy, 2smiggy, A.Partridge, afatbollix, aidan24326, AllForIt, Atoms for Peace, Avatar MIA, B0jangles, Badly Drunk Boy, Bambi985, banie01, barneyeile, Beanntraigheach, Blowfish, buried, ChunkyLover54, coillsaille, Contessa Raven, CrabRevolution, CrookedJack, Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, dr.fuzzenstein, end of the road, EricPraline, Flex, For Forks Sake, FoxyVixen, GarIT, gerrybbadd, GhostyMcGhost, Glass Prison 1214, HalloweenJack, Herb Powell, Homer J. Fong, J Mysterio, JCX BXC, johnnyskeleton, Juanito13, Junkyard Tom, KERSPLAT!, klaz, listermint, Lithium93_, Lollipops23, LuckyLloyd, Lurching, LynnGrace, mark_jmc, martingriff, massdebater, megadodge, Minderbinder, mollygreene, MPFGLB, Mrsmum, Murray TheDemonic TalkingSkull, my3cents, OldRio, ongarite, Pappacharlie, pleas advice, relax carry on, riffmongous, RobertKK, selectamatic, Shenshen, Skid X, snow_bunny, southcentralts, steddyeddy, Subcomandante Marcos, Suckler, swampgas, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, Titzon Toast, Topgear on Dave, TOss Sweep, Unpossible, Victor, VinLieger, Vowel Movement, wench, wes, Westernyelp, WesternZulu, Zirconia, _Dara_
Advertisement
19-02-2018, 02:23   #10
Your Face

The irony is alright.

19-02-2018, 02:41   #11
pauldla

We started bullying them? Wedgies and dead legs all around?
19-02-2018, 02:55   #12
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Quote:

They are our friends.
They voted to leave, they're leaving. They voted to have an ineffective PM lead the negotiations for leaving and they've got an ineffective PM leading the negotiations for leaving.

Dunno how this reflects badly on anyone else.
19-02-2018, 03:06   #13
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Consuela Bananahammock View Post
They voted to leave, they're leaving. They voted to have an ineffective PM lead the negotiations for leaving and they've got an ineffective PM leading the negotiations for leaving.

Dunno how this reflects badly on anyone else.
Well, in fairness, they didn't vote to have May as Prime Minister. The Tories got 42% of the vote in the 2017 election, the only one they have fought with May as leader. 58% of the voters seem to want someone else. It's just the vagaries of the quaintly crapulous UK election system that has put her in office.

Still, I don't see how they can blame Irish bullying for that. Unless you consoder the DUP to be a manifestation of Irish bullying, of course. Which I suppose is at least arguable!
19-02-2018, 03:32   #14
Victor

Quote:
Isn't there a pattern of bullies claiming to be the victim?
19-02-2018, 05:00   #15
Try_harder

The UK need to learn the difference between fantasy and reality

Brexiteer Fantasy: Rule Britannia

Brexit Reality: Isolated island with limited trading powers without the EU

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size