Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rhinitus for more than a year

Options
  • 12-04-2021 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

This started for no apparent reason and there is seemingly no cure. It's non-allergic.
    Any treatments to relieve symptoms or to get rid of it even for a while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mine was caused by damp ie black mould in the rental I was living in.

I noticed that when I was away for the day I was fine.

See if it is place-related? It took me years to realise. NB not allergic; environmental.

tina1040 wrote: »
    This started for no apparent reason and there is seemingly no cure. It's non-allergic.
    Any treatments to relieve symptoms or to get rid of it even for a while?

same here, 3 years ago and i never had an issue in my life. Also I have a deviated septum so the Docs/ENT say that's the issue even though its deviated 30 years!

I don't mind it being stuffy sometime but I'm getting other issues like noisy breathing that wakes me at night so I'm being advised to get a septoplasty.
    To be honest with rhinitis, many doctors just move you along and don't have a bloody clue, treatment, treatment, treatment, that's all they say.

Mine started when I moved into an old office for 3 months which was very damp, I think this was the cause but now I cannot shake it.

I'm not allergic to anything. I've been tested but still had a cough and discomfort
    For years I now irrigate using a neilmed squeezy bottle and medicial salt every night before going to bed.
    That works for me.

At one stage I invested in a dehumidifier and it was a huge help.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mine was caused by damp ie black mould in the rental I was living in.

I noticed that when I was away for the day I was fine.

See if it is place-related? It took me years to realise. NB not allergic; environmental.

That's interesting. It's not always caused by this. I had thought it was caused by cold weather.

I developed the same problem.

There is a medication for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Deeec

I have the same issue for the last few years. ENT prescribed anti histamines which alsolutely do nothing for me as I dont have an allergy. Nasal rinses provide very short term relief. I think mine is due to weather conditions - Im better in summer where as winter and autumn is bad for me. There appears to be no cure - both GP and ENT have provided no relief for me and they dont seem to take it as that serious. It has a big impact on my life as Im conscious of it and even more so since the pandemic started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Yup, since I was a child. I was referred to the ENT a few years back, and they weren't too pushed about it. On fact, one doctor went so far as to strongly suggest I was a hypochondriac. Nasal sprays caused it to get worse, rinses got stuck and caused pressure.
    I recently got a brain MRI done for a completely seperate issue, and it turns out I have polyps in my sinus cavities. I'm on a steroid spray that causes nose bleeds, and makes my post nasal drip way worse so I'm losing a lot of sleep despite having 4 large pillows keeping.

I'm hoping my next ENT appointment (whenever that is) will be discussing some sort of surgery to get rid of them instead of just passing it off again.

can I ask, what issues does it cause you all? that make you wake up? wheezing?
    I even thought mine was related to eating too many high histamine foods.
    when it started I was living off sauerkraut, forks of the stuff daily and sardines often with belgian beer!

I read somewhere that they are powerful and can cause histamine intolerance.
    I agree, doctors are very dismissive, terrible for chronic issues.

rusty cole wrote: »
    can I ask, what issues does it cause you all? that make you wake up? wheezing?
    it felt like the Facehugger from Alien movie had taken up permanent residence in my sinuses.

mine seems to start in October, this year it was bit late but its nice to hear Im not going mad. I would have this kind of throat wheeze and I clear my throat a little and it's gone. some mornings I wake up and when I breath deep there's a noise like coiled spring in my left side, then when I cough a little by the time I get to work im fine again. it's very weird, does the phlegm enter your bronhi while you sleep I wonder. I said it to the ENT and he said yes if you've had a stroke!! FFS!

John HURT!! Great reference!

• Advertisement

Deep in the throes of severe hay fever now. Pollen count is " high" on all the reports. Out here the gorse was late blooming and now grass pollen etc. Never been as bad as this.

Piriton does help at night thankfully. Makes me too dopey during the day. Zomby!

And they are thinking rain..

NB I never went near a doctor for any of this. When I moved the settee in that rental and found the wall thick with black mould.. I checked online and there is a Black Mould Disease. I was at Stage 3 .. I don't think I even had a doctor at that time. I have moved around a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

"Graces7 wrote: »

NB I never went near a doctor for any of this. When I moved the settee in that rental and found the wall thick with black mould.. I checked online and there is a Black Mould Disease. I was at Stage 3 .. I don't think I even had a doctor at that time. I have moved around a lot.

You self-diagnosed yourself with stage 3 of a disease without seeing a doctor, and now you are warning people about it on the internet? Do you have a link to the research/information you found on line? I can’t find anything that lists “stages” of black mould disease.

Advertisement