Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yuletide Gaming

Options
  • 04-12-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any particular games they play around Christmas? A Zelda game is my Christmas game of choice most years...I think I'll play through the new Switch remake of Links Awakening this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'll be doing the same thing with Link's Awakening myself this Christmas. (amazed I've put off playing it so far!)

Zelda has an amazing Christmas vibe to it. I think it's down to being one of those games people tended to get with a console that time of the year when they were kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I bring my PC home to my parents and just play the games I never got a chance to play during the year and spend Decembers pay cheque on the steam sale :)

Usually lots of multiplayer stuff as well when the relatives visit so lots of Nintendo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've two weeks over the Christmas, last day is the 23rd and back on the 6th of January.
    So, I may have a try at a few that have been on the "list" including the post-game stuff of Mario Odyssey, finish Links Awakening Dx and whole bunch more.
    I'm hoping to get some retro in there as well, so much to choose from, but nothing specifically yuletide in terms of intent to play, I'm sure I find something... maybe finish Micro Mages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Good suggestions :)

For me, nothing beats a quick go of Christmas nights on the Saturn. Cheery and upbeat, perfect.

I'm definitely going to master some arcade games. I refuse to simply continue in arcade games. If its absolutely rock hard, I'll start with 2 credits and no more.

Have almost got monster maulers down to 1 credit. Rtype is bloody hard if you die and lose all power ups. Salamander will be a challenge. And then the multiplayer Konami games with friends and family, mystara too. Okay, that's plenty :p

Master of the Universe

I'm a total 1 credit nazi any time I've guests playing my machines. :pac:

/guest presses continue

me:
    df4fdc69c049626158bd04039dd1a781aa0bc0221375d85f84d3594b468e4433.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah! I have my coins slots disabled, so only I know how to reach inside machines to credit :p

Speaking of zelda at Christmas, I remember this ad blowing minds. Music was perfect, lifted from Conan the barbarian by poledaris. Side note, Conan is basically an Irish character, yet I don't think many know it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, so that's why you were making that face when I was playing Powerstone....

edit: trying to play Powerstone, and failing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I’ll be playing as much Super Mario Kart as possible over Xmas. Hopefully finish the year strong and go deep into the Top 50 in the world.

Definitely looking at getting Links awakening to play in the new year. Loved it on the GB

Master of the Universe

beejee wrote: »
    Conan is basically an Irish character, yet I don't think many know it!

Yeah I didn't know that until recently actually.

There's always been a bit of argument over whether the Slaíne character from 2000AD is based on Cú Chulainn or Conan.

I was always of the Cú Chulainn persuasion, wondering why some Arnie sandles Barbarian would have anything to do with an Irish character - woops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was thinking of giving a proper mystery dungeon rogue like a go to try and get into the genre. So either the Switch and Vita will be coming to my parents with Chocobo Dungeon Everybuddy and Shiren the Wanderer respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Im just looking forward to having the Switch in the sitting room (sounds Victorian when you say/read it), so we can see the games the kids get for Christmas.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

o1s1n wrote: »

There's always been a bit of argument over whether the Slaíne character from 2000AD is based on Cú Chulainn or Conan.

I was always of the Cú Chulainn persuasion, wondering why some Arnie sandles Barbarian would have anything to do with an Irish character - woops.

I seem to remember, in the introduction to one of the Titan collected books, where the writer, Pat Mills, talked of Slaine being an Ancient Briton, a celtic warrior but of the broader Celtic tribes that inhabited the whole British Isles rather than Ireland or Scotland/Wales, those traditionally "Celtic" parts.

I think the language was more like Welsh/Cornish/Breton than the Gaelic that the Irish and Scots speak.

All that said, the Wiki page does refer to Slaine as an Irish warrior, and many of the characters and tribes are straight lifts from Irish stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Going to replay Metal Gear Solid again, just need to decide on what to play it..

Planning on some Amstrad love as well.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I seem to remember, in the introduction to one of the Titan collected books, where the writer, Pat Mills, talked of Slaine being an Ancient Briton, a celtic warrior but of the broader Celtic tribes that inhabited the whole British Isles rather than Ireland or Scotland/Wales, those traditionally "Celtic" parts.

I think the language was more like Welsh/Cornish/Breton than the Gaelic that the Irish and Scots speak.

All that said, the Wiki page does refer to Slaine as an Irish warrior, and many of the characters and tribes are straight lifts from Irish stories.

Im not too familiar with 2000ad beyond judge dredd, but yeah, there were very strong links between Ireland, Conan and the author Robert Howard. Even gods names like Crom are derived from Gaelic (but strongly "irish" gaelic) and so on. A lot of it came from his family. Very interesting guy!

He was also quite good friends with H.P Lovecraft, who also had some strong irish gaelic elements in his stories. When you read through the conan stories, its practically impossible to imagine anyone else except arnie. Even arnies overall attitude in real life was very similar to conan. Besides the accent, perfect casting!

Anywho….Crom laughs at your four winds :)

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Yeah I'd say you're right alright. I suppose it's the 12 year old Irish lad in me reading 2000ad on a Saturday morning, claiming Slaine to be 'one of our own' :D

There's also the glaringly obvious link between Slaine and Conan via Simon Bisley when he went all Frank Frazetta on the strip with the Horned God, it's pure Frazetta Conan.

beejee wrote: »
    Im not too familiar with 2000ad beyond judge dredd, but yeah, there were very strong links between Ireland, Conan and the author Robert Howard. Even gods names like Crom are derived from Gaelic (but strongly "irish" gaelic) and so on. A lot of it came from his family. Very interesting guy!

He was also quite good friends with H.P Lovecraft, who also had some strong irish gaelic elements in his stories. When you read through the conan stories, its practically impossible to imagine anyone else except arnie. Even arnies overall attitude in real life was very similar to conan. Besides the accent, perfect casting!

Anywho….Crom laughs at your four winds :)

That's all incredibly interesting, especially the Lovecraft link. You can only imagine what that pair discussed over a few pints!
    Going to replay Metal Gear Solid again, just need to decide on what to play it..

PS1!

Metal Gear Solid isn't Metal Gear Solid without this;

19f.jpg

Yeah I'd say you're right alright. I suppose it's the 12 year old Irish lad in me reading 2000ad on a Saturday morning, claiming Slaine to be 'one of our own' :D

There's also the glaringly obvious link between Slaine and Conan via Simon Bisley when he went all Frank Frazetta on the strip with the Horned God, it's pure Frazetta Conan.

That's all incredibly interesting, especially the Lovecraft link. You can only imagine what that pair discussed over a few pints!

PS1!

Metal Gear Solid isn't Metal Gear Solid without this;

19f.jpg

Oh yeah I love all that stuff, what lovecraft and howard would have been chatting about! As far as I remember, they never actually met, but only wrote letters to each other. Lovecraft was interested in the "cosmic horror" elements of Conan (of which there are loads).

To drag this thread way off course, theres a cool little video of the locations of the conan films, then and now. Its done very well. Worth a quick look, even if you skim it. Gonna be popping over there soon enough, and apparently theres more than a decent chance of finding old parts of the sets and props and such, being that its all in a semi-desert. That would make my day :) I'll report back if I find anything...

And to get the thread back on track, that simpsons/playstation meme is good :P Probably the best way to play metal gear (but the twin snakes has some great points!)

Is there a memory card loading deelie like the Spectrum and C64 have? I know the TZXDuino works for CPC games, but is there an instant loading option like the divmmc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya for the cartridge systems there is a sdcard loader. But for the 6128 I mostly use its got a floppy emulator fitted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    Has anyone any particular games they play around Christmas? A Zelda game is my Christmas game of choice most years...I think I'll play through the new Switch remake of Links Awakening this year.

I usually try and play some of the modern games I got during the year that I never spent much time with. Also turn on some of the older machines and hope they still work, have to fix my B&O too.

Although my eldest non-believing son decided this year he wanted Dungeons & Dragons stuff after watching Stranger Things - after doing some research on how to actually play them, sounds more like work than fun to me! Snakes & ladders it is not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Although my eldest non-believing son decided this year he wanted Dungeons & Dragons stuff after watching Stranger Things - after doing some research on how to actually play them, sounds more like work than fun to me! Snakes & ladders it is not. :D

Ugh, board games. Always hated them, especially big involved tabletops :o Like you, it just seems like work to me :D

• Advertisement

Ugh, board games. Always hated them, especially big involved tabletops :o Like you, it just seems like work to me :D

As opposed to spending infinite time tweaking settings on an emulator to just hit the sweet spot which you never quite hit, and wait for another update, so you can tweak the settings a bit more. Work like that you mean? :pac:

(yes, I am partial to a not too heavy board game now and then!)

As opposed to spending infinite time tweaking settings on an emulator to just hit the sweet spot which you never quite hit, and wait for another update, so you can tweak the settings a bit more. Work like that you mean? :pac:

(yes, I am partial to a not too heavy board game now and then!)

Well unlike a board game, when you have an emulator set up and configured how you like it, you don't need to dismantle it and redo it all next time. So no, not work like that :pac:

Master of the Universe

I absolutely love board games, but actual board games with boards and pieces!

Really do not like D&D role playing type fare where it's more a character pantomime/acting session. Tried it a few times and found it mortify. :eek:

Really do not like D&D role playing type fare where it's more a character pantomime/acting session. Tried it a few times and found it mortify. :eek:

Don't let Cidonalad hear you say that, he loves D&D!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

D&D isn't a board game... (Though there are some board games based on it)

And there are some superb modern board/card games.

Star Lord wrote: »
    D&D isn't a board game... (Though there are some board games based on it)

Tabletop maybe? I was just never into games like that, be they board games, or more complex and involved role playing/adventure type games. I just never had the patience for them. I think I discovered video games too early, and there was no going back from that :o

I do make one exception, Screwball Scramble....that was a lot of fun if I remember.

I was dragged into a D&D group a few years ago and ended up loving it and really miss it. I think it's best to not take it seriously and enjoy it. I used to play characters with serious character flaws to make it more fun. One was a kleptomaniac and another was a total arrogant asshole who got the party in trouble all the time.

Then again my favourite hobby is amateur dramatics so possibly that helps!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Then again my favourite hobby is amateur dramatics so possibly that helps!

Therein lies the difference between you and me :pac:

The term 'audience participation' is enough to put me into a cold sweat.

I actually had to leave Foil, Arms and Hog half way through six months ago as they spent 90% of the show literally in the crowd interacting with everyone. Was mortifying!

Advertisement