Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Broadband €33 for 12 months

• 21-11-2019 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

Good price for those looking for no frills broadband and even better if you have Sky TV already. Got email from Sky but price should be available on their website (black Friday deal)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Can anyone comment on the reliability of Sky Broadband?

My VM contract is up and I’m looking to switch.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I'm already a sky customer and my Vodafone broadband is terrible, would be interested too depending on reliability.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm already a sky customer and my Vodafone broadband is terrible, would be interested too depending on reliability.

Just be aware, that there is a high possibility of your broadband still being terrible. As SKY use the same lines as VF, the connectivity will be the same (assuming it is a line issue as oppose to a modem issue). However, if it is the line thats terrible, better off paying less for a crappy line!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

antodeco wrote: »
    Just be aware, that there is a high possibility of your broadband still being terrible. As SKY use the same lines as VF, the connectivity will be the same (assuming it is a line issue as oppose to a modem issue). However, if it is the line thats terrible, better off paying less for a crappy line!

Good point about paying less for a crappy line, the modem has been changed twice so I suspect it's the line. Might give it a go, nothing to loose at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

50 quid install fee on that so Vodafone working out cheaper if anyone switching. I've had Pure Telecom for last year and modem changed once, 2 visits by engineer and still get dropouts so only having to move because they up their rate after 12 months. I know ill have same issues with whoever I go to unfortunately!

VM for 12 months working out at 390 (25 for the first 6mths, 40 for the second 6mths)
    Sky for same period is 446 after the 50 install fee applied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Bambaata wrote: »
    50 quid install fee on that so Vodafone working out cheaper if anyone switching. I've had Pure Telecom for last year and modem changed once, 2 visits by engineer and still get dropouts so only having to move because they up their rate after 12 months. I know ill have same issues with whoever I go to unfortunately!

VM for 12 months working out at 390 (25 for the first 6mths, 40 for the second 6mths)
    Sky for same period is 446 after the 50 install fee applied
    VM use their own cables so you shouldn't have the issue with dropouts

Gigabit not available to me which I assume means they are piggy backing on the Eir lines no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

swampy353 wrote: »

If it is a DSL line moving provider is not going to make any difference. Sky, Vodafone and most other providers are only re-selling Eircom lines.

Exceptions would be Virgin and Magnet. Some of the Imagine products are wireless but they also resell Eircom's DSL lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Good price for those looking for no frills broadband and even better if you have Sky TV already. Got email from Sky but price should be available on their website (black Friday deal)

Sky told me i would get 12 Mbps on my line when i was switching from Virgin....went with voda who promised 85-90 and i get average 80...so not sure what is Sky's idea of just 12 Mbps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Can anyone comment on the reliability of Sky Broadband?

My VM contract is up and I’m looking to switch.

Thanks in advance.

Yes I switched from VM last month. Was paying €59.50 with VM now paying €35 pm. Absolutely no problems with sky using Netflix PS4 etc. There is a 2 week cooling off period and you can haggle with VM once you tell them you are leaving. They offered me a good deal for 6 months but I had made my mind up and I'm glad I left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

willah wrote: »
    Yes I switched from VM last month. Was paying €59.50 with VM now paying €35 pm. Absolutely no problems with sky using Netflix PS4 etc. There is a 2 week cooling off period and you can haggle with VM once you tell them you are leaving. They offered me a good deal for 6 months but I had made my mind up and I'm glad I left.

What kind of speeds are you getting with sky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Gigabit not available to me which I assume means they are piggy backing on the Eir lines no?

Gigabit with Siro, non "gigabit" with eir. (150 and 300 mbit are also Siro)

I had sky ADSL and VDSL years back, they offered a good service, for less than most providers back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

swampy353 wrote: »

Had VM 100mb and experienced daily persistent dropouts with d/l speeds in the 20s

Switched to Sky and have had very few issues with speeds on a par with what I was getting VM

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sky told me i would get 12 Mbps on my line when i was switching from Virgin....went with voda who promised 85-90 and i get average 80...so not sure what is Sky's idea of just 12 Mbps ?

Id say this was someone testing the speed of your line at DSL level, and not at FTTC level

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TheWatcher182

I rang Sky yesterday and was quoted a 200 euro installation fee. I live in an apartment in Dublin city centre which and currently have Virgin Media BB.

Outrageous! 200 euro, i note it's not mentioned in their advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

What kind of speeds are you getting with sky ?

Ping 8ms download 33.99mbps upload 9.36mbps

So I'm now with Vodafone. I only moved because Pure were upping the monthly cost quite considerably and Vodafone were cheapest. I wasn't expecting any real difference in service as I believe they are both using the Eir line but a speedtest confirms I'm now getting 96MB D/L (max 100!) with Vodafone when I was only getting 45 with Pure!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

I had to get BB in an apartment in Drumcondra. Signed up with Vodafone 25 deal. Installer came and found out that previous owner had cut incoming telephone line at the door. He patched it in to the apartment and put a new Junction box. No issues and no cost. I did have some dropouts initially as the cabinet in the street is old and a bit naff but after a call im now getting 85mbs down and 10mbs up happy with service no installation costs. Why poster above is being charged €200 by Sky I’ve no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

If it is a DSL line moving provider is not going to make any difference. Sky, Vodafone and most other providers are only re-selling Eircom lines.

Exceptions would be Virgin and Magnet. Some of the Imagine products are wireless but they also resell Eircom's DSL lines.

Why would Magnet be an exception for DSL?

Advertisement