Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sega Megadrive mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Spotted this on the net: BrawlerGen pad
    brawlergen-mini-front-w-plug-700x700-2.png

$30, compatible with MD mini

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What's the craic with this being hacked?
    Wanna play me some Skitchin' and Greatest Heavyweights which is the greatest boxing game of all time ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Inviere wrote: »
    Fully agree there. Most everyone here as at one point fel 'flash cart syndrome', where you have hundreds of files available, and end up playing nothing. You have to exercise discipline when using roms/emulation/flash carts, because exactly what you said WILL happen - you'll value nothing, and play nothing.

I've been emulating games for about 15 years now, and in that time I think I've finished approximately 6 of them. Those are,

Zelda Wind Waker
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Super Mario Land
    Super Mario Land 2
    Pilotwings
    Pilotwings 64

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

What's the craic with this being hacked?

Was about to ask the same. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm tempted
    Wanna play me some Skitchin' and Greatest Heavyweights which is the greatest boxing game of all time ;) :P

You are 100% correct. Greatest Heavyweights is the greatest boxing game of all time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

No news since 2 weeks back a group has hacked the system but are testing it before they release to the public.

• Advertisement

No news since 2 weeks back a group has hacked the system but are testing it before they release to the public.

YarHarHar! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

YarHarHar! :pac:

Not really considering I only play what I already own or obscure Japan only Translated games :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Where's the best value to be had in these things?
    I can see that Argos have them for €69.99 but is it anywhere here, bricks and mortar, that's cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

What's the consensus on the Megadrive Flashback that Lidl have in this week?
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/tech-gifts/sega-mega-drive-flashback/p32600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Pique wrote: »

Crap

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Woefull and you can buy the real deal for cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

It depends which version. I've seen a couple of reviews on Youtube where people talked about a 2nd version of the Flashback, the 2018 version, which featured a few revisions over the original release. Think it's got a working cart slot, takes original controllers as well as having wireless controllers and it should take an SD card if it's the 2018 version. That said they burned their bridges with most folks with the first attempt.

I don't think it's the 2018 version in the Lidl ad btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

It doesn't matter which version of the AT Games be it the earlier version or the 2018 release - they all have sound issues - avoid and buy the official Sega Megadrive Mini instead.

has this been hacked yet? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty insane Lidl are flogging the AT games Megadrive for pretty much the same price as the mini. Going to fool a lot of people as well which is unfortunately. The AT games machines are so bad they will actively put people off old games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

One of my FB friends was sharing LIDL's link and it was getting loads of likes & discussion, I chimed in on the convo and set them straight. Unfortunately I think many many people will fall into that trap. People will look at it like "It has twice as many games as the other one, plus wireless controllers"

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty insane Lidl are flogging the AT games Megadrive for pretty much the same price as the mini. Going to fool a lot of people as well which is unfortunately. The AT games machines are so bad they will actively put people off old games.

I don't know, the target audience is not, well, us.

It's the people who possibly play a lot of Fifa and remember fondly the Megadrive their dad probably had in the home.

Their memories of Sonic are lost in a pink haze of nostalgia.

And, let's face it, it'll be played on a 55" OLED in 16:9 with all the TV based processing on, so there'll be lag to boot, and they won't actually care, it'll just be Sonic to them.

The likes of us, cursed with insight, will just not buy them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

True but that kind of set up will put people off playing these games and dismiss them as terrible. I mean I've dismissed games before because of TV lag. What's it going to be like with TV lag, awful emulation, ear piercing sound and, my personal favourite, crappy controller syndrome.

True but that kind of set up will put people off playing these games and dismiss them as terrible. I mean I've dismissed games before because of TV lag. What's it going to be like with TV lag, awful emulation, ear piercing sound and, my personal favourite, crappy controller syndrome.

Sounds like an Arcade and Retro Beers in my house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ear piercing sound

Ever try to put Golden Axe on at a Ciderdude beers?

source.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

The latest model of the ATgames Mega Drive(the one with a non functioning volume slider) actually isn't that bad at all once you update the firmware on it, certainly not as bad as people make it out to be anyway its a massive improvement on their older models, I think most people dismiss it straight away because it's from ATgames, it can play SMS/GG and Mega CD just fine as well all with artwork

mr.noobie wrote: »
    The latest model of the ATgames Mega Drive(the one with a non functioning volume slider) actually isn't that bad at all once you update the firmware on it, certainly not as bad as people make it out to be anyway its a massive improvement on their older models, I think most people dismiss it straight away because it's from ATgames, it can play SMS/GG and Mega CD just fine as well all with artwork

Any links to sites who have reviewed this sudden and unexpected uptick in quality from a company with a history of pretty dire clone consoles?

Don't all of the @tgames products amount to a system-on-a-chip solution that can't be firmware updated into decency?

Edit: just on a forum where they discuss it.
    Depends on the version.
    Atgames were told to stop making them, but the last iteration had an SD slot and this firmware update unlocks it for adding extra games as well as improvements to it's function.
    Still not as good as the Mini.
    https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286745-sega-flashback-2019-custom-firmware-available/

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Any links to sites who have reviewed this sudden and unexpected uptick in quality from a company with a history of pretty dire clone consoles?

Don't all of the @tgames products amount to a system-on-a-chip solution that can't be firmware updated into decency?

Edit: just on a forum where they discuss it.
    Depends on the version.
    Atgames were told to stop making them, but the last iteration had an SD slot and this firmware update unlocks it for adding extra games as well as improvements to it's function.
    Still not as good as the Mini.
    https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286745-sega-flashback-2019-custom-firmware-available/
    There's a custom firmware floating around somewhere for it too that allows for artwork and uses an updated version of the Gensis GX emulator or replaces it with Picodrive think it was from gbatemp, probably still not better than the mini but from what I understand its not far off it, I think it plays just fine with the controllers supplied too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

mr.noobie wrote: »
    There's a custom firmware floating around somewhere for it too that allows for artwork and uses an updated version of the Gensis GX emulator or replaces it with Picodrive think it was from gbatemp, probably still not better than the mini but from what I understand its not far off it, I think it plays just fine with the controllers supplied too.

Please don’t buy the ATgames version for a gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I see that Lidl on their website are advertising the Flashback console and are using an image of the official Mini's box.

Appears hackers are working on finally getting this hacked. Something called "Project Lunar"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Appears hackers are working on finally getting this hacked. Something called "Project Lunar"

Yeah that looks the most promising. The machine is underclocked so I think they'll address that, and focus on being able to add new games to the stock UI. I think a lot of people just want to be able to add new games within the same interface, so the artwork fits in and everything. They don't necessarily want to run multiple emulators off it. I'd be happy just playing Sega games on it, maybe 32X or Sega CD perhaps as well, but mostly Mega Drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Yeah that looks the most promising. The machine is underclocked so I think they'll address that, and focus on being able to add new games to the stock UI. I think a lot of people just want to be able to add new games within the same interface, so the artwork fits in and everything. They don't necessarily want to run multiple emulators off it. I'd be happy just playing Sega games on it, maybe 32X or Sega CD perhaps as well, but mostly Mega Drive.

I'd be a very, very, very casual gamer at best, but the ability to add Mega Drive games to it is all I want for a hack. If that happens, I will probably pull the trigger on buying one

Advertisement