Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heritage Stoves & BPM??

• 16-09-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get an 8kw stove in and spotted a Heritage stove that's reasonably priced from BPM Supplies in Wicklow. Question I'm having is are Heritage any good, Are BPM any good?

This is the particular stove I'm looking at,
    http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/beltrastove.html

Quite attractive and a decent price. However when you check out the Heritage website
    http://heritagestoves.ie

The website is pretty basic and not very professional, say compared with the Henly website/Brochure which is much more professional looking. Granted, websites aren't everything but are still important.

This would be the other stove I'd be interested in
    http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/ernestove.html

Now I prefer the first one aesthetically. Does anyone have any experience of Heritage stoves? How do they rate for build quality, longevity and so on? I did email them and got a one line auto-reply saying out of the office until Monday 30th.

Does anyone have experience of BPM Supplies? How are they to deal with with returns or problems? The guy seemed helpful on the phone when I called up to enquire, but again, he's a salesman.

Any other tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hardwareguy

Ah came across these guys in the longmile road market two years ago, and thats what you might be dealing with, market traders, i was going to buy a stove there, but when i asked about returns if there was a problem he was very avasive (<snip> i think he said his name was long time ago now) and it was cash only and asked for a Vat reciept just to make sure i was covered for a return and was told what did i expect he was in a market,and you can guess walked across the road to a proper shop and got all the questions answered, hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Going to give this thread a bump.

I'm looking to buy a Heritage stove too .. The Derg Boiler model. Its rated 12Kw and is an impressive big lump. Just wondering wheres the catch? the price is extremely competitve at €675 .. which is about €200 less than the competitors.

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/heritagestoves.html

I'm actually going to buy it locally in Galway from Right Price tiles .. for €699.

My plumber gave me a salutary warning when I asked his advice he said "There's plenty that can go wrong with Stoves and boilers, so try to buy a fair good quality one" .. so I'm in limbo as I also don't want to break the bank and buy a Stanley etc. (which anecdotally give plenty of trouble too!!!) but also I don't want to buy a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hardwareguy

Going to give this thread a bump.

I'm looking to buy a Heritage stove too .. The Derg Boiler model. Its rated 12Kw and is an impressive big lump. Just wondering wheres the catch? the price is extremely competitve at €675 .. which is about €200 less than the competitors.

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/heritagestoves.html

I'm actually going to buy it locally in Galway from Right Price tiles .. for €699.

My plumber gave me a salutary warning when I asked his advice "There's plenty that can go wrong with Stoves and boilers, so try to buy a fair good quality one" .. so I'm in limbo as I also don't want to break the bank and buy a Stanley etc. (which anecdotally give plenty of trouble too!!!)

Well your better off buying it locally, its a long drive to Wicklow if you have a problem with it, I got two unbranded stoves two years ago, they were way less than half stanley's prices and there is not a bother with them, and you save a fortune on both the stove fuel and our oil bill was cut to about 1/3 of what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ah came across these guys in the longmile road market two years ago, and thats what you might be dealing with, market traders, i was going to buy a stove there, but when i asked about returns if there was a problem he was very avasive (Billy i think he said his name was long time ago now) and it was cash only and asked for a Vat reciept just to make sure i was covered for a return and was told what did i expect he was in a market,and you can guess walked across the road to a proper shop and got all the questions answered, hope that helps

Nonsense. That may have happened but it wasn't heritage stoves. Those were knackers selling stoves and anyone buying anything from the likes deserve the hardship they get for buying junk

Heritage stoves are an Irish company owned by the Right Price Tiles Group based in Cork. Some of their stoves are on the lower end generic type but you'll find they have higher quality and higher efficiency stoves at not an awfully higher price.

The lower than expected prices the op mentioned will be because of the reduced links in the supply chain. When I worked in the hardware stoves came through a distributor which added to the cost.

Bpm are about a while. Seem reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tonster01

Hi all

I am about to buy )tomorrow) either

A heritage Sheelin insert stove
    http://www.heritagestoves.ie/stove_detail.php?stoveID=34&stoveCat=4

Or the Henley 17kw insert boiler stove

My dilemma is

henley- may be slightly under what I need in power and looks a bit more old fashioned
    However it is also more expensive but a better brand and perhaps more reliable

The Heritage is from right price tiles- significantly more power for almost 250 euro less
    Howwver I'm not as sure of the brand or reliability here

Can anyone provide any last minute advice before I pull the plunge please?

many thanks

T

• Advertisement

tonster01 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am about to buy )tomorrow) either

A heritage Sheelin insert stove
    http://www.heritagestoves.ie/stove_detail.php?stoveID=34&stoveCat=4

Or the Henley 17kw insert boiler stove

My dilemma is

henley- may be slightly under what I need in power and looks a bit more old fashioned
    However it is also more expensive but a better brand and perhaps more reliable

The Heritage is from right price tiles- significantly more power for almost 250 euro less
    Howwver I'm not as sure of the brand or reliability here

Can anyone provide any last minute advice before I pull the plunge please?

many thanks

T

I nearly drove myself cracked researching and analyzing stoves over the past 3 months. but as a guy on another thread put it .. they are basically just metal boxes that you put fires inside of....I now tend to agree.

I think Sales guys like to create confusion with a little devilment and 'muddy the waters' sufficienty enough to make plebs like you and me pay over the odds for something that we don't really need.

I think all stoves work pretty well .. as long as they are properly installed...that being especially important if you have a boiler stove.

I have it on reasonably reliable advice that 99% of the problems with stoves goes back to the way they were installed to begin with. (source was a plumber friend who has put in and taken out stoves for the past 4-5 years)

My advice go for the cheaper stove ..and spend the dosh you saved on getting it properly installed.

Hi there

Many thanks for the helpful advice

Yes I am feeling like i am tooing a frooing depending on who i speak to and what sales person tells me what

Think i will just go for the heritage and be done with it!

21KW for 750 euros!

It seems to be much cheaper than that of anything else i can find even on sale!

Thanks again!

T

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mrs Sla

Hello,

Just wondering did you buy the heritage stove? I am considering it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I would just like to add my own experiences.

I appreciate I will probably get flamed for this but here goes.

Recently we purchased an "Irish" brand of stove (not a heritage) €900 including enamel finish

It was basically dangerous, it had gaps between the sidewalls and front casting and also was very poorly sealed under the lid, so if you had a really smokey fire smoke would belch from the sides and top.

Stoves should really be better sealed than this because of the obvious safety implications, I first of all got on to the "manufacturer" and said that Iunderstood I should go to retailer but just thought they would want to know about badly made stove of theirs and supply chain back in China should possibly be checked.

They couldn't have given a damn about it so I got back to the retailer and finally got a refund.

I then decided I would do what we originally were going to do and get a better brand of stove, so I looked into firms that were selling local to us, I found one just over an hour away and went over there, well they were much better, they had a massive selection and we ended up choosing a Charnwood Island 2 (€1500ish)

I must say we are absolutely delighted with it and the extra expense shows in the quality of the stove and the finish,so all I am saying is think carefully before going cheap sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭jack of all

One more important consideration when buying any stove is the future availability of spare parts, I have a small stove fitted for close to five years now and I've had to replace grates, fire bricks etc as they burnt out with use. It all depends on how much you use your stove of course but cast iron parts will burn out over time, glass and fire bricks can break, so all these must be considered as consumables. With a long established name you can rely on those parts being available, with a no-name brand who knows?

• Advertisement

One more important consideration when buying any stove is the future availability of spare parts, I have a small stove fitted for close to five years now and I've had to replace grates, fire bricks etc as they burnt out with use. It all depends on how much you use your stove of course but cast iron parts will burn out over time, glass and fire bricks can break, so all these must be considered as consumables. With a long established name you can rely on those parts being available, with a no-name brand who knows?

Not sure about Grates (might depend on the riddler mechanism etc,) but ash pan, Firebricks, replacement glass, sealing ropes, handles etc. are all generic parts and can be got in any size from independent retailers and cut to whatever size you like.

Hi all

Seeing as I relied on all of you so much for advice once buying / choosing which stove to go for- I thought only right to let you know how we got on with it and what we went for in the end

We went with the Rite Price Tiles Sheelin Boiler insert model...

And oh my god are we happy with it!

We renovated an entire house and without fail the one thing every person consistently comments about is the heat of the house

The stove heats all the house and rads amazingly well (3 bed semi)

We are in a smokeless coal zone so had a bit of trial and error here seeing which heats or works best with the stove- for us hands down its calco coal- house is always like an oven

We always have hot water even in the morning and no need for an electric shower

Overall- just take the advice we got initially- a stove is just a big fire in a box

Typically built in or near the same factory as the main brand

Overalls advice is go with the RPT option

Have the price and twice as much bang for your buck

And no- I am not connected with or have any association with RPT

Just a genuinely happy customer

Happy to answer any questions anyone has

One downside was the plumber did say was one of the more difficult stoves he has fitted but again - not going to be your main problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

My point earlier being that not all stoves are made equal, our charnwood is made in Britain and nowhere the Chinese factories that made the rpt one or any othe brands for that matter ( Stanley, blacksmith etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 entersandlady

Hi Tonster,

I'm in the same pickle you were in & I was just wondering about the heritage stove you bought.

I was just wondering::

1. Does it heat all the radiators (when calculated out I have 12 single rads)?
    2. Does it give much heat out to the room? (my living room is roughly 5.2Mt x 4Mt)
    3. Have you had any problems with the stove?
    4. Did they give you much of a guarantee?
    5. Did they give you a certification to prove the heat output for it?

Hi there

To answer your questions- please see below-

1. Does it heat all the radiators (when calculated out I have 12 single rads)?

Well it heats 11 in ours- 4 of which are also doubles and this is no problem whatsoever to the stove.

2. Does it give much heat out to the room? (my living room is roughly 5.2Mt x 4Mt)

It's never going to be the same as a non boiler model which is a total sweat box but yes the measurements of your room are similar to mine and the room is always lovely and warm.
    Everyone always mentions upon arrival how warm out house is.

3. Have you had any problems with the stove?
    Thankfully not!
    I will point out that the plumber said it was more difficult to install- however after renovating the full house and dealing with various tradesmen I found most of them had to give me something to complain about as it all worked out fine in the end!!so no problems at all!!

4. Did they give you much of a guarantee?

Yes- 5 years- In all honesty my experience with guarantees and insurance and what have you is they are not worth the paper they are written on by the time you do the admin for them...

But in short- yes a full guarantee which thankfully have not had to use yet either!

5. Did they give you a certification to prove the heat output for it?[/quote]

No and i didn't ask to be honest

I took a chance after reading an earlier post in this thread explaining a stove is essentially a fire in a box

In honesty- I agree!

For price and quality- as iv used it now for nearly 6 months- I am delighted!!

Hope this helps

T

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kilever

hi just removed a heritage sheelin stove after 1 month.had a lot of problems with it.firstly the door handle kept loosing.then the air damper wasn,t closing properly letting the flame go up the chimney burning a lot of fuel.changed to a hamco which is much better.i have spoke to a few people who have had similar problems with heritage stoves

I could not be happier with mine!

Can I ask how you managed to get the Sheelin out??

We have had no issues whatsoever with this stove and it heats our entire (3bed semi with 12 rads) house.

I do agree the door handle could be better but no issues with it thankfully

I imagine it was not easy to remove or did you remove the entire fireplace also??

To be honest, I chickened out - my budget was (is) limited & I couldn't afford for the Sheelin to be wrong. So in the end I ended up going with a Stanley Cara+ & while I was a whole lot more cost wise I thought that at least if anything went wrong it is a reputable make.

The cara+ in in now, looks fantastic & heats the radiators lovely!!

hi I did not have new fireplace fitted before I replaced sheelin.i also forgot to say the grate would fall down sometimes when you wud riddle it

So you had a stove that you used with real fire without the hearth to support it at the bottom?.

How was the installation for you in general,out of interest?

Did you remove the front of it then install or how did you go about it?

How was it in relation to the other other you have now installed??

• Advertisement

I kept old hearth in until ready to fit new one.then supported stove with a chain from above.then slid old hearth and fitted new

What I don't understand is how you managed to install this stove without a new fireplace being fitted?

I would have assumed it almost impossible due to the make up of this
    Particular model no??

just kept the stove out 75mm from wall so the granite slides down behind it and the hearths were the same size.it only took fireplace installer 1 and half hour to install it so it was very easy

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aust82

kilever wrote: »
    hi just removed a heritage sheelin stove after 1 month.had a lot of problems with it.firstly the door handle kept loosing.then the air damper wasn,t closing properly letting the flame go up the chimney burning a lot of fuel.changed to a hamco which is much better.i have spoke to a few people who have had similar problems with heritage stoves

Hi just wondering did you return the sheelin to rpt and did they except it? I've one in 2weeks nearly now and it's a total lump no heat to the room at all i can stand in front of it and barely feel heat. Vents don't seem to work, handle is brutal. A hour later rads might get warm. Just want rid of it

Have you contacted RPT Aust82???

Have you contacted RPT Aust82???

No not yet plumber is having another look at it trying to sort it but I've lost all hope in it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bluesky008

Just getting back to OP - just wondering if anyone has recent experience of BPM? We are not that far from them & prices look reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

I bought a stratford stove form BMP a few months back. Looked at several and spoke to several sellers and I can say that in my oponion the advice given to me by he lads in BPM was the most genuine of any of the other sellers I spoke to. They ordered my stove and said it could take over a week, 3 days later they had it in stock.

Also got the flue liner from them along with a few other bits and was assured that if I needed to change anything just pop back there would be no issues.

All in all a pleasent experience and i,ve already recommended them to family based on my experance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Deise Geisha

aust82, I am wondering if you got your Sheelin sorted? I have one and like you the heat output is dismal. I have 9 rads and at the moment I am getting some heat in 6. I have 3 turned off to try and get some heat around the house. The first 2 on the system heat ok, but the further the rads from the Fire the less heat there is. My house is a small bungalow. Only 1030 sq ft. I had the original door replaced 2 weeks and it has now loosened again. The vents on the new door are a fraction open all the time and when I queried this, I was told there is a new regulation since Sept 2014 which prevents vents on stoves being fully closed. I am so frustrated at this stage. I have had this stove fitted since Sept and I have been on the phone to Heritage numerous times and I got the impression the last time that they are sick of me now! My open fire and back boiler was more efficient.

• Advertisement

aust82, I am wondering if you got your Sheelin sorted? I have one and like you the heat output is dismal. I have 9 rads and at the moment I am getting some heat in 6. I have 3 turned off to try and get some heat around the house. The first 2 on the system heat ok, but the further the rads from the Fire the less heat there is. My house is a small bungalow. Only 1030 sq ft. I had the original door replaced 2 weeks and it has now loosened again. The vents on the new door are a fraction open all the time and when I queried this, I was told there is a new regulation since Sept 2014 which prevents vents on stoves being fully closed. I am so frustrated at this stage. I have had this stove fitted since Sept and I have been on the phone to Heritage numerous times and I got the impression the last time that they are sick of me now! My open fire and back boiler was more efficient.

I rang heritage they sent out a local plumber to have a look. He tightened the handle and calculated the rads he said he'd send a report to heritage. I lit the stove after he left and now the smoke comes out through the vent in to the room. I rang the plumber he said it's to do with the draft. Im sick of the stove now like you the open back boiler was much better.

Advertisement