Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

East Link Toll to increase by 36%

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Anyone with me in thinking that any car that is coming off a ferry should be able to take the port tunnel free of charge? Give them a paper ticket on the way out or something like that. No reason for cars coming out of the port to be adding to congestion in the city. Efficiently get them out of the port area. Yes, M50 and all of that, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

the toll doesn't really slow traffic down much though, does it? for example (just using the direction i'm familiar with); northbound in the evening, you get through the toll and the traffic in front of you is at a standstill because it's the bridge itself which is the pinch point.

But, in my opinion, most of that pinch point is one lane turning into 3, then turning back into one to facilitate the toll. The merging after the toll, traveling northbound, causes a huge amount of issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

but the lane, once it has successfully merged, sits pretty much stationary in the evening? there's queue to the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

But, in my opinion, most of that pinch point is one lane turning into 3, then turning back into one to facilitate the toll. The merging after the toll, traveling northbound, causes a huge amount of issues.

As mb says above - if the merge was the root cause, then the bridge should flow freely after that.

The bridge varies from static, to a crawl, both in morning and evening rush hour.

Until the junction at the Point gets solved, the toll and the lane changes around it don't have any overall impact on the congestion - they just shuffle the position of some people within the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Anyone with me in thinking that any car that is coming off a ferry should be able to take the port tunnel free of charge? Give them a paper ticket on the way out or something like that. No reason for cars coming out of the port to be adding to congestion in the city. Efficiently get them out of the port area. Yes, M50 and all of that, but still.

How many ferries arrive in the evening peak time?
    Ferry companies could just jack their fares up 3 quid and pay if they wanted to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

How many ferries arrive in the evening peak time?
    Ferry companies could just jack their fares up 3 quid and pay if they wanted to...

Stena and Irish Ferries both have arrivals from Holyhead around 5.30. €10 to use the tunnel at that time - but from what I’ve seen (working in the area) the vast majority of traffic heads for the tunnel anyway.

After paying for a ferry fare - I don’t €10 is going to deter anyone from choosing the fastest route home for themselves.

Anyone going south isn’t going to voluntarily tackle the full loop of the m50 at rush hour instead of taking the Eastlink.
    Equally well - I can’t see there being many people masochistic enough to choose to drive from the port down the full length of the quays at rush hour to get to the N7 or N4 simply to avoid the €10 toll.

For the Eastlink - it’s traffic inbound from the tunnel headed for city centre, and P&O Ferries traffic coming from terminal 3 that needs to turn 180 at the roundabout that are the cause of delays

Advertisement