Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving into a log cabin?

Options
  • 25-07-2020 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello. I really need to separate but cannot afford a second home. Thinking of putting up a log cabin in the garden? Sounds ridiculous but has anyone tried this even as a short term measure? It can always be used later for visitors/students. Not sure what else to do and am near breaking point. Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A lot of people do it and it really only comes to attention of a council if a nosey neighbor complains.

Make sure you keep it to the maximum size allowed for a garden "office"

There's no restriction on having a shower or basic cooking facilities. (microwave, foreman grill, mini oven etc)

Quite a few people in same situation do the same.

It doesn't have to be a log cabin. Just Google "garden rooms" and a huge selection will show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you priced them? Even for a basic one you are talking a lot of money and then you need to fit it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Do you have side or rear access ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Price for a decent livable room of 22sqm would be €35-€40k

Access is not an issue for these guys, they use cranes to lift the units into position.

If spending good money, go for one that is movable. It's also easy enough to get a 10 year loan for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amf7

Thank you all for replies. We have a big side entrance and get on well with all neighbours (ithink). I was thinking a rental would cost e15k per year plus bills with nothing to show for it. Was hoping e30k would do it. Could get a loan to make it manageable.

Has anyone a personal experience of having done it? Did it help? Did you get any real sense of being separated or did you just end up with a nice cabin but essentially living together? Would need strict rules. I can't see any other option right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yeah i asked about side access so you wouldnt have to go through house... id get prices from 2-3 companies. An alternative is getting something craned in... way quicker, less disruptive and can be sold on...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

amf7 wrote: »
    Hello. I really need to separate but cannot afford a second home. Thinking of putting up a log cabin in the garden? Sounds ridiculous but has anyone tried this even as a short term measure? It can always be used later for visitors/students. Not sure what else to do and am near breaking point. Thanks for any comments.

Have you gotten legal advice, moving out of the house is a bad idea and could bite you in the ass regarding rights later, get legal advice before you do anything.

Advertisement